FIREWOOD..50cc,60cc,70cc???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to be just a 365 special or a ported 372 with a 20" bar...

now, the 550xp (MM only) with a 16" bar and a ported 372 X-torq with a 25" ES bar.

023A0CDD-D62D-4739-9036-F688032D17B1-3629-00000863692A4ECF.jpg

92DBEEB7-B740-439F-86E1-A1939DFEDB4B-3629-0000086354572A87.jpg

Nice pair derbyguy!!
I run a 36 w/16", 51 w/16"-20", and a 61 w/20"-24". 36cc, 51cc, and 61cc. The 51 w/16" 90% of the time. :msp_thumbup:

Nice pair derbyguy!!
I run a 36 w/16", 51 w/16"-20", and a 61 w/20"-24". 36cc, 51cc, and 61cc. The 51 w/16" 90% of the time. :msp_thumbup:

Thank you. I had a 026 pro that I just sold to purchase the 441cm. Need the bigger bar for a while and gave me a reason for a new saw. Once im done with the need of the big saw I will address that issue then. I am a one brand guy for the purpose of parts and accessories but hear real good things about them huskys. Dad loves his and hates the stihls they have at work. When the time comes I will cross that road but for now I like the set up

a little bit of everything..Im tired of wasting time and really wanna speed things up....Workin on a 70cc deal as we speak
I thought you said firewood? The time spent running the saw is a tiny fraction of the job - pretty much the easy bit before the real work starts (splitting, hauling & stacking, usually several times). Changing to a marginally faster saw won't speed things up in any detectable way.

60cc(562xp) and 150cc(50cc x 3)=Stihl 261, Husqvarna 550xp, and 346xp
I used to own a 70cc(Stihl 440 mag.), but the 562xp replaced it and the auto tune really makes it run like a 70cc anyway. These 4 saws do all of my firewood chores, I like the lightest tool that gets the job done. The biggest stuff I've cut with this ensemble is some 32" pin oak, and they got the job done. Now I'll just sit back and wait for that 372/572xp auto tune.

I thought you said firewood? The time spent running the saw is a tiny fraction of the job - pretty much the easy bit before the real work starts (splitting, hauling & stacking, usually several times). Changing to a marginally faster saw won't speed things up in any detectable way.

I agree, I cut all my wood with a husqvarna 340 for ten years or so then found a 262xp for sale. The 262 does about everything now even though there are some instances where my 340 would be better suited I would waste more time putting the 262 down and starting the little guy. Usually the only reason my 340 goes with me is in case I mess up and get the 262 pinched because my balls got to big and I cut a few inches to far through a log.

Last edited:

Right. Splitting sucks especially if you do it by hand. They always say you get warm 3 times while cutting wood. Burning it, Splitting it, and stacking it. I guess you can add cutting it too. So really 4.

I'm a 40 cc; 50 cc and 60 cc type of guy myself :msp_thumbup:

Only a few times a year do I have the need for a 70 cc or bigger saw

If I do need a bigger saw I just happen to know a few people here that have them :cool2:

I've changed my mind it's now 30; 40; 50; 60; 70 cc saw's

CAD is a amazing thing :cool2:

The answer to this question depended on what I am cutting. If I am going for eucalyptus I bing my Stihl 066 and my Husky 266. Those trees are long and straight with no branches. It is like cutting up very hard telephone poles. My 066 with Stihl chain makes short work or it.

If I am getting into some oaks with lots of slash I'll take my 266, Stihl 028 or Husky 44. He small saws are great for cutting up the slash and branches. I'll get the bigger saw out for the trunk.

Saws are like golf clubs; you need more than one for different purposes. At least that's how I justify owning so many saws.

Bob

The saws most often used in our firewood business are the 2 MS261's. Followed by the ported MS460 and the 441, prior to the 261's the 361 was by far the most used saw. At our dealership we have three different commercial firewood cutters using 261's all have had the limiters jerked and tuned to 13,850 and are set up with 18" .325 set ups. As far as what we sell the average customer the MS 290 is still the king followed closely by the MS 250. We are in an area that is pre-dominantly oak. We still see a crap load of 028's and 360/036's

I have really not found the need for me to own a 70CC saw. I've cut a lot of bigger wood with a 60CC saw and a 20" bar. The bigger the saw the more they cost too. It would be hard for me to justify a more expensive saw for the rare times I would really need one. Now if I found a great deal on one I would probably jump on it, but not because I absolutely need one:smile2: My 50 cc and 60CC saw have done all I have asked, plus my back is not getting any younger. Besides I've got an older brother with a 70cc saw that will come to his little brothers aid if he needs to use the "big" saw.:)

I have really not found the need for me to own a 70CC saw. I've cut a lot of bigger wood with a 60CC saw and a 20" bar. The bigger the saw the more they cost too. It would be hard for me to justify a more expensive saw for the rare times I would really need one. Now if I found a great deal on one I would probably jump on it, but not because I absolutely need one:smile2: My 50 cc and 60CC saw have done all I have asked, plus my back is not getting any younger. Besides I've got an older brother with a 70cc saw that will come to his little brothers aid if he needs to use the "big" saw.:)

But its always fun just to have a big saw to brag about and have in your collection. Even if you may only use it once or twice. I'm not saying to go out and buy a huge Husky or Stihl and break the bank..but if you can find a cool older one for under $100. Its just the feeling that if you ever need it, then you know you have it.

A 5+ cube saw is mandatory. Sometimes you need to get the tree down quick and get it bucked off the road, nothing does it better than a big saw. There is nothing worse than a drunk camper who needs to get by right now, plus a big saw insures the idiot stays in his truck, or maybe the glock on my hip, either way.:msp_tongue:

aspics004-1.jpg

craftsman 50cc 20' 358.350982 poulan pro in black plastic nuff said :hmm3grin2orange:

Yes, I figured someone would say that, and yea, I've run that old 038 Magnum that big brother has, you can't slow that thing down no matter how hard you bear on it. It surely has some torque. But it's a beast to lug around and I can not say I have really had to use it to get the job done. With a sharp chain and higher RPMs my 359 can hang with that old magnum in wood thats under 20". I am sure I would enjoy the power of a big saw, especially one of the newer big saws that are lighter than the 038. I loved driving the old muscle cars too with such awesome power you could put yourself sideways in a split second, but I've never bellied up to the bar to buy one just for the thrill of the occasional power rush. Like I said, if I find a great deal on one I could see myself jumping on it but it would not see a lot of use from me. The 50 and 60CC saws of today have a lot going for them IMO. You pro cutters probably have a differing opinion and need, for me cutting 10-20 cord a year I just have not found the need for anything bigger than 60CC's.

Im running a husky 340, 365, 272, 272, 181, 288, 385, 394 plus a big Chinese saw called a chainsaw.

Has any one heard of this type of saw its a chainsaw chainsaw, a replica of a stihl [i think]. i have been told its about 137cc

I live on a few acres of heavily wooded land. I dont cut for a living ...but i seem to have a crapload of saws.

1 50 cc ms261---- felling,bucking ,limbing
1 30 cc echo for limbing ,bucking, and branching
1 14 inch electric....for when i am running the splitter and discover someone left the log too long or ragged to fit into the splitter
1 12 inch electric polesaw ...for branching/limbing overhanging trees.
1 55 cc homelite for backup...for freeing up my 50cc for when i didnt feel like fetching the hatchet and wedges
2 sears pruneing shears...because I dont have a chipper
1 odd looking,little yellow saw that my brother retrieved from the trash. (Is he giveing me that thing or does he expect me to fix it for him???):biggrin:

Last weekend I had a mildly ported Makita DCS 401 (40cc) and a Dolmar 6400 (64cc) and I really didn't have a need for anything else.
Cutting a blown down Pin Oak that was approx. 22"x28" at the base and did 80% of the cutting with the little Makita.
The land owner was dragging the brush and he said later that the little Makita darn near worked off one of his really important body parts!!!

Mike

Im running a husky 340, 365, 272, 272, 181, 288, 385, 394 plus a big Chinese saw called a chainsaw.

Has any one heard of this type of saw its a chainsaw chainsaw, a replica of a stihl [i think]. i have been told its about 137cc

Yes I've used one of those big Chinese turds, It's a counterfeit Stihl 070 105cc, there's a strong possibility you will be spending more time
repairing it than actually cutting with it.

Latest posts

Back