FIREWOOD..50cc,60cc,70cc???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a 40 cc; 50 cc and 60 cc type of guy myself :msp_thumbup:

Only a few times a year do I have the need for a 70 cc or bigger saw

If I do need a bigger saw I just happen to know a few people here that have them :cool2:

80cc, cause that's what they had at the pawnshop when I got a saw ~12 years ago and I haven't been able to wear it out, though it's due for a fresh piston and ring.

Honestly my back hurts after cutting with it all day, even with a 20" bar, so I'd say a lighter saw would be a plus. But I found a stock 50cc somewhat lacking in power.

I have no use for a 60 CC saw. A good ported 50 CC and 70 CC is all you need.

yep

attachment.php

attachment.php

Husky 50/51/55 with 20 inch bars, until I need a 61 with 24 inch bar. Mostly Pine 14 to 18 inch, sometimes a little larger. Most Oak here is under 14 inches. Love my 50 Huskies. One old whitetop rancher (1984) still runs well, although losing power and compression lately. Still adequate for brushing.

For smaller wood, I usually run an MS200 rear handle, and an 036.
For larger wood, I go with an 026/046 combo.

Tony

I'm currently running 50cc+60cc. It just kinda happened that way. I love my 361s and feel they fill my 'big saw' role just fine. This tree is a 23" maple and quite a bit bigger then I usually go after but it was blow down. The ol 361 tore it up. I'm sure its not as fast a 441 but I usually cut trees around 12"-16" dbh. With a sharp chain a 361, or any 60cc saw, will def cut some firewood. If all I did was buck logs that I got delivered or had a splitter:bang:, then I'd get a 70cc saw. I'm all for getting it done with the least amount of wieght and money. I do about 12-14 cord a year, all cut from sept-dec/jan by myself, on my land.
All depends on what, how much and how you cut.

(I do see a ported ms261 in my future though......)

Last edited:
I run my 44 husky whenever possible as it is the lightest. It really surprises me with the amount of power it has. After around 12" I'll step up to a larger saw.

I use mostly a 60cc ported saw and it usually does what I want in combination with a 38cc top handle for limbing. I do have 50cc, 70cc, 80cc, and larger saws but for the size wood I usually cut this is what works best for me.

When I go to the woods I usually take the following saws (and yes the are all Poulans)

S25CVA with 16"
PP295 with 16"
PP330 with 20"
PP380 with 22" (favorite)
PP475 with 24"
PP505 with 28"
PP655 with 36" (sometimes but rarely need it)

+1 on the 50cc + 70cc class saws. Than add another on 20cc on either side depending on what kind of wood you run into more often. Or both, just to be safe. Ya know, maybe a top handle 30cc, 50cc, 70cc, 90cc should take care of your average firewood needs :D

A 60cc if you want to stick with 1 saw.

The 50cc and 70cc saw is the classic 2-saw plan, but you may not need it.

You haven't told us the diameter and species of the wood you'll be cutting. And are you falling and limbing your own wood, or only bucking logger's cords?

That'll help focus the discussion more.

a little bit of everything..Im tired of wasting time and really wanna speed things up....Workin on a 70cc deal as we speak

a little bit of everything..Im tired of wasting time and really wanna speed things up....Workin on a 70cc deal as we speak

Then the 2-saw plan sounds just right. You'll be easily able to run 28-inch bars on any of the good 70cc class saws in hardwood.

Personally, I'd go with a 50cc saw with 18-inch bar for limbing and smaller firewood bucking, and a 70cc saw with 25 and/or 28 inch bar for the bigger stuff.

Back