Firewood from Outer Space

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AT sawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Went looking for some firewood recently and thought I'd see what was available locally before driving around haphazardly. Using Google Earth, I found a house nearby that had several downed red oaks (the predominant tree around here) just waiting to be cut, split, and stacked. Thing was, I couldn't see the trees from the road, but they were obvious from Google Earth. Pic one shows the two trees (both on the ground and not casting any shadow) as opposed to the standing timber which does cast a shadow. Pic two shows the RULER feature of Google Earth that lets me measure the length to give me an idea how big the tree is.

Google Earth doesn't have that kind of image quality everywhere, but when it does, you can easily pick out the up ones from the down ones. A knock on the door and it was mine. I didn't say I knew the trees were there, as the owner might have thought I was spying on his house or had trespassed on his property, but I just asked if he had any deadfalls and if so, would he mind if I took them.

The images on Google Earth aren't always recent. My address typed in shows the 28ft R.V. on the driveway with it's distinctive Boulder Creek blue tarp roof....got rid of that thing at least 4 years ago.

A very ingenious use of technology, congratulations on your find and thanks for sharing.

I use google earth to aim my satelllite dishes and over the air tv antennas, no compass required

kam

Yes, when using Google Earth this way you have to consider the date of the picture, but at least you know what had been down there, and in all likelihood probably still is. Also helps to have pictures taken in the fall or winter when you can see down through the canopy.

Launch Google, look right above the GOOGLE logo for "more", click the drop down menu and select "even more" that will display a wealth of Google options one of which will be Google Earth. It is a download, but it's free. It may require you to have a "modern" computer, but it works on my ancient Dell.

Or try pasting this link into your browser:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/

Welcome to the Space Age............ It's also pretty cool for scouting places to hunt.

No, it will not work on dial up, A lot of the images on google earth are several months old.

Where on earth is the little video from? It looks like Woody Harrelson rampaging with a saw.
Now about this goggle earth thing. Can you see into people houses and stuff like that?

This might have been brought up before but: Is this right? I mean you are basically prying around in someone's backyard. It doesn't seem like something God fearing people should do. Even if you don't fear God its just not respectable.
How do you feel knowing anyone can spy on you? I am feeling real creeped the F out about.

This might have been brought up before but: Is this right? I mean you are basically prying around in someone's backyard. It doesn't seem like something God fearing people should do. Even if you don't fear God its just not respectable.
How do you feel knowing anyone can spy on you? I am feeling real creeped the F out about.
Yeah basically but all pics are usually old and they are still shots. I have never seen a shot close enough where you could actually tell who it was. Now street view will show your house from the road in front of your place and it gets a lot closer, But again they are old pics.

welcome to technology the good the bad and the ugly.

Here i am working on my front door back in Oct/Nov 2007. this is what "Street View" looks like when they drive by.

View attachment 83663

Stew

Yeah basically but all pics are usually old and they are still shots. I have never seen a shot close enough where you could actually tell who it was. Now street view will show your house from the road in front of your place and it gets a lot closer, But again they are old pics.

So some guy drives around and takes pics? You have got to be kidding me. I thought it was a sattellite link or something. Go ahead, knock on my door and ask for some wood you saw on google. I'll let you go out there but you won't be coming back. Freaking creepy man, freaking creepy.

Big Brother is watching you...

Re-read Orwell's 1984 then get back to me.

Population control, Speech control, thought control...

Yeah, read that in grade school. Then the teachers wondered why I stopped listening to them. Of course also the main reason I don't get ISA certified as well.
Vonnegut.

Last edited:
Back