Firewood from Outer Space

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So some guy drives around and takes pics? You have got to be kidding me. I thought it was a sattellite link or something. Go ahead, knock on my door and ask for some wood you saw on google. I'll let you go out there but you won't be coming back. Freaking creepy man, freaking creepy.
Yep, I agree with ya Dan.

This might have been brought up before but: Is this right? I mean you are basically prying around in someone's backyard. It doesn't seem like something God fearing people should do. Even if you don't fear God its just not respectable.
How do you feel knowing anyone can spy on you? I am feeling real creeped the F out about.

I thought that was you out by the driveway taking a leak.

The only thing that's new here is that you can get the photos/information from your home computer. Counties have been taking arial photos since the airplane was invented for property tax and planning purposes. Anyone with a hundred bucks or so can hire a plane & pilot and fly 1000 feet above your house which is plenty close to see people and belongings. The google streetview uses a car with a camera mounted on the roof to record images, just the same view that anyone could see driving down the road. Not really a new invasion of your privacy or anything, just easier to access the information. Don't really see what the big deal is.

Man now this is one good ideal .They are running a huge pipline behind my
house (rex ) and i can try and find trees when they update google does
anyone know how often they do it.

Yes, when using Google Earth this way you have to consider the date of the picture, but at least you know what had been down there, and in all likelihood probably still is. Also helps to have pictures taken in the fall or winter when you can see down through the canopy.

The Google Boy's were out on my street last week. The current photos they have posted were at least a year old as a neighbor had a swimming pool installed back in early spring and it is not shown.

If people think that it is creepy now, just wait until the technology advances to where it's REAL TIME!

BTW.... AT sawyer, what part of the AT do you maintain? I'm the RipRap Trail overseer down in the southern side trails of the Shenandoah. I'll be out on the trail later this week.

I work in Central District Shenandoah NP. I do a fair amount of wilderness work, so it's a lot of crosscutting. I also file all the crosscuts for PATC, which keeps me busy during the winter.

Google Earth is just a wider application to what the Forest Service, Agriculture Dept. and others have been doing for decades with aerial photography. If you really want to see high resolution photos of your house, visit your county library. Most counties have photomapping services image their jurisdictions on a regular basis for TAX MAPPING purposes. Think the county doesn't know about that addition you put on the back of your house without a permit? They will.

Also, much of the USA on Google Earth is low resolution, so you'd be lucky to find your town, let alone your house.

well if this is the tech that they are letting people have... then you can only imagine what the gov is using now...

Latest posts

Back