Firewood Hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjett84724

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Let me preface this with its ugly. But it runs like a champ. I bought this pickup for $800. It had a diesel engine it, but has been converted to gas. My other truck got hot and I found coolant in the oil :censored: . I pulled the heads and changed the head gaskets, started it back up and viola, water in the oil :censored: .
Started pricing new engines and could get another engine for the same price as buying this 3/4 ton pickup. :clap:
Wife is happy though. She comes out and works in the woods with me. She usually loads the wood into an 1987 GMC truck. The truck has a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires. She is only 5'3:dizzy: She makes it work though. The new/used truck doesn't have a lift and I would have to buy new wheels to put on it, if I was going to put the lift on it. She said HE!! NO. LOL I love a woman who is a thinker. :cheers:

Ok. guys. I can't figure out how to attach a picture or two. Help

posts.jpg

Some cedar posts that my oldest son and I cut. took us about 8 hours to cut 84 posts. Not bad for an 11 year old. He is not afraid to work, for sure.

truck2.jpg

truck.jpg

Not sure if this is going to work.

Thats what I was thinking. The other nice thing is the long bed. Needs tires and some cosmetic work as you can see. Now if I can only get it to look like my old one.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn131/jjett84724/gmtruck2.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn131/jjett84724/gmtruck4.jpg

I don't know if these are going to post twice or not. Hope not.
Anyway, as you can see I am a huge fan of the old chevy body style. Love em.

Looks like you forget to click on the image icon before you posted up those links (the image icon is just above the box you type in when posting and looks kind of like a postage stamp).

Give it another go as we would like more pics!

Thanks

That worked!

I can see that truck taking you into some spots, but I can also see how your wife at 5' 3" would rather toss wood into the new truck!

Thanks for posting. :cheers:

How do you convert a diesel engine too gas? Why would someone do that?

Last edited:
How do you convert a deisel engine too gas? Why would someone do that?

Good question. My guess is that the diesel engine went belly up and it was replaced with a gasser (more of those readily available).

Although if it truly was converted it will be interesting to see how!

Good question. My guess is that the diesel engine went belly up and it was replaced with a gasser (more of those readily available).

Although if it truly was converted it will be interesting to see how!

Oh ok! LOL I get it! :monkey: :cheers:

The bodies on those trucks look solid! Nice truck! I guess they don't salt in Utah like they do in Michigan. I've had 6 of those old 4x4 chevy's and loved them, but the bodies literally rust apart here. I did the same thing to one of mine (swapping the diesel for a gas engine). I was only 17 at the time and gas was well under a $1/gallon. I figured I needed more power so I built a 350 chevy and put it in it's place. If you ever run into any problems with that style truck, feel free to ask b/c I have encountered pretty much every problem one could have and would be glad to discuss with you.

I guess they don't salt in Utah like they do in Michigan.

Not even close. Yes, they do salt, but not nearly as much. First, they don't get as much snow, by a long ways, second, they don't have as much corruption in the government, where somebody's brother-in-law owns a salt company, and so gets all the contracts written with requirements to use X amount every winter, needed or not. It's REALLY bad that way in Maryland. I've seen PILES of salt 5 inches deep in the gutters a few days after a 5" snow.

How do you convert a diesel engine too gas? Why would someone do that?

Easy. You yank the diesel and install a gasser. Diesel is compression ignition engine. Runs *somewhere* around 20:1 compression ratio. Gas more like 8-9:1 ratio these days. Put gas in a diesel no matter what you do and it makes one helluva bang..................

They do put salt on the roads here. If you seen the pics of my driveway during the winter, you would see we get a little snow. I have pics with over a foot of the white stuff on the ground. I bought the truck last year from a repo-guy. He repoed the truck from someone who had a title loan out on it. Some body lost their baby and I found her. She has been a good truck. Sold/traded it today to a buddy of mine who is going to put another engine in it. He loves them almost as much as I do.

Thanks for all the posts guys. I will post wood cutting/hauling pics as soon as I get the other one registered and on the road.:givebeer:

They do put salt on the roads here. If you seen the pics of my driveway during the winter, you would see we get a little snow. I have pics with over a foot of the white stuff on the ground. I

Yeah, I know they salt, it's just nothing like what they do back east. You wouldn't believe the piles they make in Maryland. Way more than here in northern Virginia, right across the Potomac.

Which Enterprise are you in? Morgan or Washington county? Either way, it's some nice country. I lived in Salt Lake City a few years, up on the East Bench. Nice place, for a city.

Speaking of snow, this is what I found at our place in Salt Lake when we got back from a long weekend out of town one Thanksgiving:

I had to tromp through the snow, open the garage, and shovel a path just to get the family in the house. :D

Still, they didn't use a lot of salt. Again, not compared to back east.

I live in Washington County. I have only been back east once in my life. I went to upper New York state. It was beautiful. The rolling hills and all of the oak. I am so jealous of the long straight trees that are back there. Its a woodcutters dream. Anyway, if and when you get out here, stop by and I will have a cold one for you. :givebeer:

Back