Firewood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marinegrunt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cut down a tree for our neighbor's daughter yesterday but not sure what it is. I'm awful at tree id and especially if it's dead with no leaves.

It has a sweet smell and split real easy. It was probably 70' tall. That's pretty much all the info I have. There's another dead one that looks similar.

Thanks

20180724_202323.jpg

20180724_202022.jpg

20180724_202015.jpg

That makes me feel a lot better. I'm not one to complain about any free tree but it doesn't seem like work when it's a good hardwood.

I'm usually somewhat decent at id'ing ash but I've never cut one down as large as this one. Most around here usually die when they're a lot smaller. We definitely have a lot of dead ash around here. I think I've always cut down green ash in the past so maybe this is a white or black and why it's different than what I'm use too? Then again, I'm awful at id.

I actually just cut down a small ash at the neighbors this morning and compared the bark. Somewhat similar and looked different but it's probably due to the size of the bark.

I'll try and snap a picture of the other dead one that's right next to the one I just cut down. Good chance they're the same.

Thanks for the help. I love ash.

Thanks for the reply.

Could the trails from whatever bug made them under the bark be a telling sign or are there plenty out there that make similar designs? There are definitely a lot of bug trails under the bark. Looks similar to pictures of what the emerald ash borer does.

Thanks for the reply.

Could the trails from whatever bug made them under the bark be a telling sign or are there plenty out there that make similar designs? There are definitely a lot of bug trails under the bark. Looks similar to pictures of what the emerald ash borer does.
Post a pic of the trails. Ash beetle has a distinct pattern.

One way to confirm EAB is to look for 1/8" wide D-shaped emergence holes in the bark. Also ash tends to have the bark slough off in certain areas were there is or was larvae activity.

Sweet smell might not have been the best word for it. I did split some elm the day before so anything would probably be considered sweet compared to it.

The bark has some 1/8" holes and kind of resemble a "D". I think a few of them do for sure.

20180725_152242.jpg

20180725_152824.jpg

20180725_152450.jpg

Yep, that’s the pattern of the ash borer, you got some good ash firewood. And elm smells great compared to locust, that stuff almost makes me gag.

Awesome....thanks for all of the help guys. I wasn't too excited about going back and cutting the other one but am now. It's even bigger.

Back