Firewood moisture content

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised Whitespider hasn't dropped in here.

As you stated, a cheap MM is not going to give you 100 percent accurate counts for any species but it gives you a great idea of how your splits are doing relative to where they started. And I have found that "feel" can mislead a person sometimes. I had some ash that clanked when whacked across itself but when you split it there is still a visible pocket of wet wood in the middle.
If you have a pocket of wet wood in the middle, it will disappear fast if the fire in the stove is already hot. The idea is to mix your fire with really dry wood with some that may not be that dry. That's why I sell mixed hardwoods. Dry elm, ash, and maple will burn anything that might be moist -- oak, for instance. Oh, and don't forget poplar and cottonwood.

Tested some freshly fallen Alder this evening. Looked to be 29-30% moisture. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to get below 20%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a meter and gave it to my brother in-law. I can tell by weight when I load the cart to bring in. I Bang em all together also (knock dirt/spiders off) I do come across an occasionally hisser, but it is always a thicker piece and buried in the stack. But here in NY I season in 1 - 1 1/2 years and Im set.

I don't use my meter all that much. I have 14-16 cord in my barn . I burn 6 cord a year . Wood seasons 2-3 years before it gets stacked for the burn season in my basement. Last check on a piece of oak was 12% I resplit it and checked the fresh split. As you can see some of the wood had been outside several months prior to stacking. Last pic was ash being loaded to go inot the barn this december

Attachments

• 20160122_122005.jpg
    20160122_122005.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20151212_115409.jpg
    20151212_115409.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 20161228_114614.jpg
    20161228_114614.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back