Firewood Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy G

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I live on the prairies in farming country. I just finished with my wood for a couple of winters, I hope. I have, by volume, 23 cords; I have less than 23 cords since the wood was hand tossed onto a pile.

As I was splitting and stacking I had a couple people ask if I would sell any wood and I declined as I have to work too hard to get the wood and could not sell it at a fair price or for what I think it is worth. It is not like I can just go to the forest and cut more.

I started researching firewood prices around the area and found this: http://medicinehat.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Birch-Firewood-W0QQAdIdZ149693208

I have always been told that birch firewood is some of the best around. I wonder how many clients this person has and how much wood gets sold?

Wow! 350 per half cord! That's wild! Sold some hay at the Shipshewanna auction and saw a guy there with a Bri-mar trailer and he had a truck load+ on it and only got 40 for the load. :mad:That is what his face looked like and he said something that was :censored:!!! I felt like a :monkey:for not buying it, but have enough to deal with! I have sold 3 loads for 60$ each. Guys wants 3 more and we both think it's a fair deal. The loads are Red Oak/Hickory mix. Some of you may think that is low, but there are a lot of laid off people around here picking up saws and headin' to the woods. JJ

i sell mostly in Aspen colorado, home of the wealthy. average value of a home i deliver to is probably around 3 million, and even i dont get that much for wood. i have imported from oak from the midwest, and i dont get anywhere near that. if you can get it, good for you. but my guess is that not much volume moves at a price like that. i price mine competitively and expect to move only about 150 to 175 FACE cords this winter. but i have had more interest from my classified ad than any august i can remember. just doing single face cords, no volume orders, i have already moved 28 face cords this month.

I sell from a GMC 1/2 ton short bed piled high (6" above the cab). I estimate the volume at 7/10 - 3/4 of a cord. Sold two loads last week of Red Fir for $160. I notice other similiar size loads for sale around town of Alligator Juniper and Shaggy Bark Cedar for $250-300.

I sell oak split small for $120 a face, $60 for half of that delivered. It all goes to the fancy neighborhoods and town homes and gets burnt in the back yard. Have no problem selling it at that price. Starting to see prices creep up a bit as it gets closer to fall. I think I'll keep my price the same year round.

I live on the prairies in farming country. I just finished with my wood for a couple of winters, I hope. I have, by volume, 23 cords; I have less than 23 cords since the wood was hand tossed onto a pile.

As I was splitting and stacking I had a couple people ask if I would sell any wood and I declined as I have to work too hard to get the wood and could not sell it at a fair price or for what I think it is worth. It is not like I can just go to the forest and cut more.

I started researching firewood prices around the area and found this: http://medicinehat.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Birch-Firewood-W0QQAdIdZ149693208

I have always been told that birch firewood is some of the best around. I wonder how many clients this person has and how much wood gets sold?

For your area, birch is some of the best firewood that can be had.

Around here birch can go for ±$150 per cord, depending on the customer. Heck, sometimes it even goes for $150 per truck load, although that is only when said truck load is called a cord.

Check your local paper for firewood ads and note the prices. If your firewood is that valuable to you, then ask for that price. If it is more valuable to you and it doesn't matter a whole lot if you sell tons of it, then add an amount that you are happy with and sell it at that price.

Local jackpine prices = $125 per cord
Local birch prices = $150 per cord

HTH

For your area, birch is some of the best firewood that can be had.

Around here birch can go for ±$150 per cord, depending on the customer. Heck, sometimes it even goes for $150 per truck load, although that is only when said truck load is called a cord.

Check your local paper for firewood ads and note the prices. If your firewood is that valuable to you, then ask for that price. If it is more valuable to you and it doesn't matter a whole lot if you sell tons of it, then add an amount that you are happy with and sell it at that price.

Local jackpine prices = $125 per cord
Local birch prices = $150 per cord

HTH

Around here you have to pay people to take Jackpine, must be cause we have good hardwood.

I might be wrong, but is that $350.00 Canadian? If it's U.S. dollars, wanna buy some wood? I would part with my entire woodpile for those prices!

I also wish we could sell pine around here. Hardwood is so plentiful that people have to pay to get rid of pine.

In my area firewood is sold by the face cord (I know, it's a non-recognized, "illegal" way to measure and sell firewood, but it's accepted here as the norm so what can a guy do?) for $45.00-$65.00. At a high traffic commercial location (Home Depot, Menards, etc.) it will sell for as high as $80.00 per face cord in the winter. Since so many people are out of work a cord (4'X4'X8' cut in 16" pieces) gets a little discount and can be found for about $130-$140 delivered. The quality between sellers does vary drastically.

I might be wrong, but is that $350.00 Canadian? If it's U.S. dollars, wanna buy some wood? I would part with my entire woodpile for those prices!

I also wish we could sell pine around here. Hardwood is so plentiful that people have to pay to get rid of pine.

In my area firewood is sold by the face cord (I know, it's a non-recognized, "illegal" way to measure and sell firewood, but it's accepted here as the norm so what can a guy do?) for $45.00-$65.00. At a high traffic commercial location (Home Depot, Menards, etc.) it will sell for as high as $80.00 per face cord in the winter. Since so many people are out of work a cord (4'X4'X8' cut in 16" pieces) gets a little discount and can be found for about $130-$140 delivered. The quality between sellers does vary drastically.

The canadian dollar is pretty close to the US dollar 0.92 cents.

Depending on your area, in eastern canada you can sell a cord of mixed hardwood for ~$200. People don't like having much birch, as it burn too fast.

Never been accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed! :dizzy: I had no idea our dollar was so close in value. If wood cost $350.00 per cord around here I would have to find a cheaper option to heating my home, like propane! Not that I pay for wood, but if that is what people were paying I would have to sell it!

$325 a cord for mixed oak and hickory here. long bed truck load stacked to to top of bed is $125. but this is the king pin in town.

Its hard to believe that there are that many doucegags that shell out that kind of money for firewood. I thought we are in a recession

I wouldn't buy it either but that's what that ********** is selling it for but I will under cut him.

Holy crap Batman I thought I was charging a fair price at $120 a half cord of mixed hard/soft wood you Canucks have me beat!

Biglog2002.jpg

Wish I could get rid of wood for the prices ya get! hell hard wood goes for here 40-50 bucks a face cord split! maybe 30 for soft wood. I drop it off for free where ever I can get rid of the damn ####! just so I dont have to haul it home, it aint worth having to have to split. I dont burn wood now because of a child with extreme allergies. will do it again in time. but I do drop it off to elderly people that I know that need it. I own my own tree service so I do get rid of alot of wood.

last year i was getting 250 a cord.

not sure this year.i put it up at that price on Craig's list and had a couple of calls but no bites.maybe i'll leave it there until everyone calls me in January and Feb because they are out and can't find dry wood anywhere.that is what happened last year but my dumb ass sol all of it in the fall.

if i had to sell it for less than 225 delivered i'd just keep it for myself.

the prices in my area (nw Pa.) are generally around 120-140 cut split for a full 4x4x8 cord
i dont think ive ever seen it sell for more than 175 a cord for hardwood

Last edited:
Here in central Ontario, the local paper has several ads for split, seasoned hardwood by the cord (full or bush) for $295 undelivered to $350 delivered. Stacking is extra.

For all the work that goes into the process, I think those are fair prices, if the wood is good and fully seasoned / cured.

Besides the hard work (albeit some is fun and good exercise) there are lots of costs between equipment and expenses.

I cut firewood for myself, family and friends only, but if I was selling and had to sell for less than above I think I would find another job.

I don't sell firewood. I put up around 23 cords of wood this year for myself and had to work quite hard to get it.

The point of my initial post was something like:
Holy crap, that wood is expensive, I wonder how much gets sold at that price and to whom? If I could sell wood at that price maybe working like a mule would not be that bad initially and as money was made one could invest in equipment to reduce the amount of work that needs to be done.

I have no intentions of going into the firewood business and would not be burning wood to heat my home at 700.00 bucks a cord.

Craigslist for my area (Eastern Connecticut/Central Mass) today, prices split & delivered. Seasoned and presumed to be hardwoods unless otherwise noted.

Central Mass, posted on Sunday:
$275/128 c.f.
$250/cord
$215/128 c.f.
$250/cord seasoned; $200/cord green
$225/cord

Eastern CT, posted this week (lot fewer offers):
$240/cord all oak; $200/cord mixed hardwoods
$180/cord "this weekend only"
$200/cord
$210/cord
$175/cord delivered, $75/pickup you pickup