firewood saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fields_mj

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Just had to give some love for my 029 Super. No one mentioned it and now I hear her crying down in the garage. Gonna have to take her out and play today. Dang!:rock:

Nothing wrong with your saw, but it would be a poor choice for a second saw for the OP. His 362 should weigh the same or less than your 029 and have a lot more power. Nothing wrong with your 029 though.

TXTreeSurgeon

TXTreeSurgeon

ArboristSite Operative
How does the 362 do with the 8 pin in large hardwood with a 20 inch bar, and what kind of chain are you running? I have been thinking about trying an 8 pin on mine.

It does really well. The loss of torque is minimal when switching to an 8 pin. The speed increase isn't huge, but it is worth the sprocket change. The saw will only bog if I put too much weight on it, which any experienced cutter won't do anyways. As I said, I did quite a bit of noodling in dead oak, and it was a little faster than with the 7 pin and I didn't have a problem with power.

I have been wanting to get a 25" bar for the 362 and I am now convinced that it has enough torque to pull it. However, I would definitely use a 7 pin with anything longer than 20" on a stock 362. The truth is that the 362 has more torque than most people realize, so the bigger sprocket makes sense. All that said, I still want a 261.... :msp_tongue:

Last edited:
TXTreeSurgeon

TXTreeSurgeon

ArboristSite Operative
I have only run RSC chain since I put the 8 pin on. It cuts really fast (for my standards) with the 16" bar buried and the 8 pin. That is my favorite setup. When I am cutting bigger wood, it is just a little slower with the 20" bar buried and the 8 pin. You can always switch it back to a 7 pin if you don't like it, but I won't run anything else until I get a 25" bar.

I have a 20" RMC, but I only use it when I have a tree with a lot of dirt in the bark, which isn't often. However, RSC should be harder to pull than RMC.

Latest posts