firewood saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had to give some love for my 029 Super. No one mentioned it and now I hear her crying down in the garage. Gonna have to take her out and play today. Dang!:rock:

I got by with a 353 for the first four years cutting large and small. Great saw. It is still my first pick when going to cut. Light and nimble!

Just had to give some love for my 029 Super. No one mentioned it and now I hear her crying down in the garage. Gonna have to take her out and play today. Dang!:rock:

Nothing wrong with your saw, but it would be a poor choice for a second saw for the OP. His 362 should weigh the same or less than your 029 and have a lot more power. Nothing wrong with your 029 though.

How does the 362 do with the 8 pin in large hardwood with a 20 inch bar, and what kind of chain are you running? I have been thinking about trying an 8 pin on mine.

It does really well. The loss of torque is minimal when switching to an 8 pin. The speed increase isn't huge, but it is worth the sprocket change. The saw will only bog if I put too much weight on it, which any experienced cutter won't do anyways. As I said, I did quite a bit of noodling in dead oak, and it was a little faster than with the 7 pin and I didn't have a problem with power.

I have been wanting to get a 25" bar for the 362 and I am now convinced that it has enough torque to pull it. However, I would definitely use a 7 pin with anything longer than 20" on a stock 362. The truth is that the 362 has more torque than most people realize, so the bigger sprocket makes sense. All that said, I still want a 261.... :msp_tongue:

Last edited:
I have only run RSC chain since I put the 8 pin on. It cuts really fast (for my standards) with the 16" bar buried and the 8 pin. That is my favorite setup. When I am cutting bigger wood, it is just a little slower with the 20" bar buried and the 8 pin. You can always switch it back to a 7 pin if you don't like it, but I won't run anything else until I get a 25" bar.

I have a 20" RMC, but I only use it when I have a tree with a lot of dirt in the bark, which isn't often. However, RSC should be harder to pull than RMC.

Latest posts

Back