Firewood Showdown: MAC 10-10 A vs. STIHL MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it ain't true till we see it on video! His chain was dull!
Of course it was a 290 and not an 029. I was running 18" ash today with the 029 Super and she was cutting at (Mississippi count) 7 seconds. I was so happy! This saw just came off a rebuild. My first ever and I am one proud dude! I cut wood today so fast that I had to quit early because I would run out of time tomorrow getting it out of the woods. Since I have been on this site my cutting has increased 20 fold. It's the little things you know! You need to bring that saw to the first Michigan GTG. I need some help getting everyone involved. Your not that far away. Maybe 80 minutes if traffic is light! What do you say? Couple AS rookies rocking a GTG mitten style!

I just posted a pic as my profile pic with me and my own Stihl 028 AV Super w/ a 20" Carlton Sprocket Tip bar. Great saw.

I am currently trying to get one together. I have a nice little wood lot right off the expressway (I69)
but if we don't move on it I won't have any wood left. I would love to run some old vintage! Also some powerhouses. My biggest contribution would be an 044 with a BB kit. Still in a box right now but Wednesday the crank seals will be here so Friday it will be fully assembled. A complete rebuild, paint job and all!
To be able to talk to someone face to face about porting and other engine mods would be priceless. Also could use some serious tree felling experience because I have a coupe trees that are downright dangerous that need to get one the ground. Check out my post in the firewood forum for pics. Titled, A walk in the woods with Bushman. That is the woodlot we could cut in.

Excellent - I'll check it out, and we'll have to talk some more about it.

I just posted a pic as my profile pic with me and my own Stihl 028 AV Super w/ a 20" Carlton Sprocket Tip bar. Great saw.

Is the 028 a clamshell like the 029? I think they are a pain to work on. My029 is about 7tanks into a fresh rebuild and it wasn't very easy. The 044 is a whole 'nother story

Bottom line - Stihl and Husky are GREAT saws. They are used more than any other saws on Earth, last I checked. But I love the old muscle. My first saw when I was 12 was a Stihl Contra (not sure what model), but it was so heavy. I later became hooked on the heft - and I just fell in love with old MACs and Stihls. Nothing beats 'em. The snobs out there can be snobs all day - I just keep putting saws to the test, and form my own opinions. At the end of the day - facts is facts.:rock:
As a 12 year old packing around a 27lbs. Contra I see how you got your username.

I really love the 10-10. this must be one of the best selling saws of all time, their everywhere... I pulled my grandpas out of a barn which had been sitting for over 10 years, filled it up with gas, poured some in on the piston and it fired in about 5 pulls...

Is the 028 a clamshell like the 029? I think they are a pain to work on. My029 is about 7tanks into a fresh rebuild and it wasn't very easy. The 044 is a whole 'nother story

Actually, I'm not sure. That's one of the biggest reasons I joined this site - to learn more about the inner workings of these saws.

As a 12 year old packing around a 27lbs. Contra I see how you got your username.

Haha - ya, it was an animal. It was my grandpa's (he was our family's first logger - I'm 3rd gen), and I was a big kid. I'm about 6'2" and around 230 now. I like knowing I'm holding a machine with an engine in it, instead of something I got at Toys R Us. :rock: hardy har har

I really love the 10-10. this must be one of the best selling saws of all time, their everywhere... I pulled my grandpas out of a barn which had been sitting for over 10 years, filled it up with gas, poured some in on the piston and it fired in about 5 pulls...

That sounds about right - they are great saws. Glad to hear the one you got finally got a chance to work again. Can't let it go unemployed too long - it's too good a saw to be forgotten. :angry2:

I am currently trying to get one together. I have a nice little wood lot right off the expressway (I69)
but if we don't move on it I won't have any wood left. I would love to run some old vintage! Also some powerhouses. My biggest contribution would be an 044 with a BB kit. Still in a box right now but Wednesday the crank seals will be here so Friday it will be fully assembled. A complete rebuild, paint job and all!
To be able to talk to someone face to face about porting and other engine mods would be priceless. Also could use some serious tree felling experience because I have a coupe trees that are downright dangerous that need to get one the ground. Check out my post in the firewood forum for pics. Titled, A walk in the woods with Bushman. That is the woodlot we could cut in.

C'mon! I got 6ci, 7ci, and an 8ci to play with!

You need to get a 7-10 and try that.

+1 on that. I have a 7-10, a very young one, with only one and a half chains of life on it, and appreciate it to the point that it's the first saw that I've ever bought a new top end for just so I have it for when the time comes.

I wouldn't mind rigging up some antivibe, it definitely roars. I believe the pm700 has some semblance of AV on it.

In short, great saws!

+1 on that. I have a 7-10, a very young one, with only one and a half chains of life on it, and appreciate it to the point that it's the first saw that I've ever bought a new top end for just so I have it for when the time comes.

I wouldn't mind rigging up some antivibe, it definitely roars. I believe the pm700 has some semblance of AV on it.

In short, great saws!

They are indeed great saws Bryan. The PM700 doesn't have any AV however. I have both a 7-10A (kinda ratty, and may be the first saw I repaint) and a cherry low-time PM700. Basically the same saws except for the badging and the clutch covers. My PM700 has the later style muffler-cover chainbrake type CC, while my 7-10A has the earlier, short non-CB cover. If you want a 70cc AV McCulloch, you need an SP-70 or CP-70. They're on my "list" for sure. Dook T got a CP-70 recently.................the bast'd...:msp_thumbup:

This thread caught my eye this morning and I must say it's very refreshing to see some young guys going on about some fresh saw discoveries. There are many examples of older saws kicking newer saws crankcases. When you fellas have the oportunity, try a Homey 925XL or a SP81 Mac. You'd be amazed how well an old early 60s' gear-drive saw will handle a long bar. Fine examples were made by Mac,Homelite,Poulan and others. This 10-10 vs. 290 is just the tip of the iceburg as they say.
Igpoe:cheers:

Mac Question

Years ago my brother had either a Minimac 10-10 or a mac 10-10 ? I cannot remember what it said on the top.The saw ran good when it got going but it was the hardest starting engine I have ever seen ,in the end the saw shop told him to drill a bunch of holes in the air cover. That did nothing sept ruin the cover .Also it was forever vapor locking.
I have been putting together Partner 500's and 5000's and sone older modles as well all winter for a hobbie.I want to try a diffrent saw next and have thought about a Mac as a brand to try, but i have always wondered what was the problem with his saw.He took excelent care of everything he has ever owned but that saw had issues.

QUOTE=pro94lt;3537274]I really love the 10-10. this must be one of the best selling saws of all time, their everywhere... I pulled my grandpas out of a barn which had been sitting for over 10 years, filled it up with gas, poured some in on the piston and it fired in about 5 pulls...[/QUOTE]

Yep!

attachment.php

Back