******firewood storage*********

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pallets have worked great for me as well, they're cheap and readily available around here. I also use old metal siding weighted down on top, allows good airflow and lasts forever. Also, really easy to store the siding until needed.

Im fortunate and can stack mine in a pole barn to cure. Come fall I truck it up to the house and restack it on pallets and cover with tarp. If anyone is looking for a really good tarp, keep your eyes open for a cheap coverall. You might get lucky and fond one that the poles are broken and someone is just looking to get rid of it. Scrap the poles and use the tarp for covering your firewood. Its thick as H&LL and will last several more years than the best tarp at TSC.

Cheap(free) pallets are the key. Sure, the ones made from lesser materials are shot after a year but all I have into them is a little gas to go get them. I could put them up on bricks. I think the extra "headroom" would be an open invitation for critters to make a home

I do my pallets up on bricks or better, rail road ties, precisely so the cats can get under there. Just the pallet, hard for them to get in there, as it is now, they can book it under there and keep the rats and mice scared. And I can tell the difference on speed of drying, wish I had started doing that years ago.

To the OP,

I've never had cement blocks sink in the ground, in fact, I'll never use anything else!

I use 25 per bay and the shed has 5 bays holding at max 3.5 cords per bay. Each bay is roughly 8x8ft with a 30 inch overhang on the front. This shed's roof support is made from recycled pallets and so is the overhang. The sheet metal was $10. per 24.5ft sheet, used. I got lucky and snagged a bunch of 12.5ft. pallets that were used to ship vinyl siding. I believe thoroughly seasoned firewood is key to successfully heating with a modern high efficiency wood stove Vs. failing miserably with somewhat less than seasoned wood and falling into a blovating state of wood heat mania.

View attachment 330702
very nice!!!!

Ain't never got out a tape measure... but they step off at about 33-35 ft long... start out around 5½-6 ft tall (using my height as a gauge) but settle in something less than that.
I figure 2 cord per stack... give or take... close enough for guess work.

Those pictures are from summer, fall and winter 2012/13.
If ya' notice, the last picture is short one stack... the one furthest from the camera.
I dipped into 'em late last winter, and put a pretty good dent in 'em this year... not to mention what fed the fire pit over summer.
They ain't near as pretty and impressive right now... only about half that much left.
I'm gonna' haf'ta get off my lazy azz this year if'n I wanna' stay ahead of the game.

Oh... by-the-way... one of those stacks is hard maple (now gone), every other stack is 100% Bur Oak... well... OK... 99.9% Bur Oak, there's a occasion odd piece gets thrown in.

Ain't never got out a tape measure... but they step off at about 33-35 ft long... start out around 5½-6 ft tall (using my height as a gauge) but settle in something less than that.
I figure 2 cord per stack... give or take... close enough for guess work.

Those pictures are from summer, fall and winter 2012/13.
If ya' notice, the last picture is short one stack... the one furthest from the camera.
I dipped into 'em late last winter, and put a pretty good dent in 'em this year... not to mention what fed the fire pit over summer.
They ain't near as pretty and impressive right now... only about half that much left.
I'm gonna' haf'ta get off my lazy azz this year if'n I wanna' stay ahead of the game.

Oh... by-the-way... one of those stacks is hard maple (now gone), every other stack is 100% Bur Oak... well... OK... 99.9% Bur Oak, there's a occasion odd piece gets thrown in.
pretty awesome,if my wood pile looked like that i would be HAPPY

I just stack mine right on the ground. I've tried pallets, 2X4's, plastic, etc, etc. sort of found out "FOR ME" that just putting it on the ground works just as well. If I lose the bottom layer so be it. (haven't yet)

A shed is what I use. Simple post construction that sits next to the stove (OWB). Built it a couple hundred bucks at a time, it's still a work in progress.
I spent several years fooling around trying to fight the elements and winter always whooped me. Snow piled up on tarps always found it's way down my sleeves in my gloves or down the collar of my jacket and my foot seemed to find every gap in the pallets or they were slippery..(whining like a little girl) !!
I wish I'd of built my shed years ago.

I store the just cut stuff outdoors on scrap wood and cover it with weighted down metal roofing. The roofing was from a roof over a junky mobile home that I had torn down before building the house here. The next year the firewood goes inside a former man-cave shed. I tore out the shelves in the shed and cut holes in the walls to make it more airy. It holds more than I burn in a winter.

Now, before the experts on every part of the country chime in their "covering firewood prevents it from drying" mandate, I remind everybody that I live in a temperate rain forest and NOT covering firewood turns it into a mushroom growing sponge.

I do the same thing here, because I hate a damp pile of firewood.....

We use old pallets for the bottom and cover top of stack with a sheet of 11 gauge roof sheeting. Even the pallets will last 4-5 years if they are covered and the sheeting has lasted 50 years +

At two cords per stack that is about 36 cords of wood.

36 CORD?? Where the hell did you learn math??
The most in any of those picture is about 8½ stacks... at 2 cord per stack that comes in at 17 cord, maybe a touch more in the center picture.

addendum; Oh... and with LP at $5.oo a gallon right now I value my oak at 'round $650.oo a cord... you buying??

I know how you figure $650.00 per cord, but that figure leaves out the fact that you would likely put a little insulation in that old house before paying such outrageous heating cost.

Really?? Outrageous?? Won't pay that outrageous price?? Really??
Got news for ya'... they're falling all over themselves to pay more than that now.

At $5.oo per gallon, $650 will buy you 130 gallons of LP at 92,500 BTU per gallon... that comes to 12.0 million BTU’s for an Expenditure of $650.oo.

1 cord Bur Oak = 25.0 million BTU for an Expenditure of $650.oo. (Even figuring smoke dragon inefficiencies at 50%... which I don't... it's a way better deal than LP in a 80% efficient furnace.)

People are paying twice as much per BTU buying LP than I’m asking for the Bur Oak… and they ain’t buying insulation right now, they’re buying heat.

So… are you buying??

Back