firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you will find most of the basic attachments are hard to fabricate and save any money, buy used if trying to save a couple of dollars. I looked at building pallet forks for mine and the high strength steel forks were nearly the cost of a whole attachment.

If I remember correctly your clearing out the underbrush of a woods. A tree shear works great on the little 3-6" trees.

Question. You are getting two rear remotes AND a joystick valve for the loader? While more expensive I have seen more than one guy put off the cost of a second remote and then the valve kit becomes unavailable after a model change.

It's got the joystick 2 mid remotes, then has a single rear. The mid can be converted to power beyond by moving the return line to the 3rd function valve body and connecting the two (or something to that effect), and I'll be doing that before too long. Deere has a kit for it, but I don't know if it's competitive with sourcing my own stuff and running the lines myself. I could run the grapple off the rear, but that's not my intent.

Pallet forks themselves aren't something I'd fab - good ones would be very difficult to make. But, I can make the mounting chassis with ease.

Root grapple will do all I need for logs and rocks. I have a buddy who runs the laser cutter at his uncle's shop. Getting parts cheap is a matter of drawing it up and going to collect them. I know I can build a grapple for less than a used one costs. They have lots of AR500 on hand. :)

Jim, Steve has the right idea just get it with the skid steer mount now. My buddy bought a JD with JD mounts then a year later we found a really really good deal on a skid steer. Now he has 2 sets of forks and 2 different styles of buckets. And now he borrows different buckets off me so he can use them on his skid steer. Its a pain for him when he has one or the other at his cottage, never has the right bucket with him. My Kubota came with Kubota mounts, I bought the adapter right away and have about 15 buckets now. Bought most of them used and a few were alo or homemade mounts, was always a pain cutting crap off and remaking them for skid steer mount.

The ALO mount is MUCH stronger than the skid mount, it doesn't matter much with these small tractors, but as HP and traction goes up, it makes a big difference...

SR

Any weight a tractor is carrying on its tires gives it better traction up to the tractive limit of the ground/tire combo. That is why all the big tractors have weights added, often several tons in fact.

Once a ground engaging implement has the weight resting on the ground then it no longer contributes to traction.

Mr. HE:cool:

not true- many tractors incorporate what is called a draft system hitch in which a load sensing lever or other means senses how much load is applied. it then automatically moves the drawbar or 3 point system down or up to increase traction, this is becuase if an implement is below the centerline of a tractor is does aid in traction as it pulls from underneath the centerline increasing the down pressure on the tires resulting in more traction. this option is not standard but is on a vast majority of tractors and the owner doesnt even know it most of the time

not true- many tractors incorporate what is called a draft system hitch in which a load sensing lever or other means senses how much load is applied. it then automatically moves the drawbar or 3 point system down or up to increase traction, this is becuase if an implement is below the centerline of a tractor is does aid in traction as it pulls from underneath the centerline increasing the down pressure on the tires resulting in more traction. this option is not standard but is on a vast majority of tractors and the owner doesnt even know it most of the time

You need to re-read what I posted because it is 100% true.

In fact what you are talking about goes to show just how right I was.

Draft sensing systems put the weight from the implement, plus in some cases the weight of dirt the implement is carrying, onto the traction wheels. Once that weight is taken off the implement and put onto/back onto the tires it can help with traction.

Jim, I make my own skid steer mounts to weld onto used buckets I buy. It's only a few pieces of easily cut steel whereas the JD ones are a lot more work to make. I precut a bunch of steel and when I get a bucket it doesn't take long to convert it. My brother in laws both have loaders and they are homemade quick attach and are a pain because each one is different. Here is an adapter plate I bought at a sale $25 I think. 6 buckets in the 2nd pic. My snow blade.
lawnboy1.jpg
069.jpg 197.jpg

You need to re-read what I posted because it is 100% true.

In fact what you are talking about goes to show just how right I was.

Draft sensing systems put the weight from the implement, plus in some cases the weight of dirt the implement is carrying, onto the traction wheels. Once that weight is taken off the implement and put onto/back onto the tires it can help with traction.

not quite sure what you are talking about taking weight off the implement and back on the tires, to be more specific are you talking about 3 point or drawbar implements? the draft system does take weight and force from the implement and transfers it to the wheels. weight being the actual implement and force being the implement's resistance that transfers into down pressure because the implement is below the center line of the tractor and as a result pulls down on the drawbar. you can remove the force of the implement by raising it off the ground but you can never remove the weight of the implement unless you are unhooked from the tractor completely. you can reduce the weight of a implement in the case of say our 45 foot disk by lowering the wheels on the implement but this still doesnt remove the weight of the implement because the wheels are always far behind the centerline to prevent lift from occurring, resulting in tongue weight on the drawbar which puts down pressure on the bar which transfers to the wheels resulting in more traction.

also from your post above it percive you saying there is more traction when the implement is in the dirt and when it isnt. would you explain this in greater detail please? thanks

This is my SAME Vigneron 60,

standard.jpg

I don't use it a lot, but I did exercise it a bit with these small logs,

standard.jpg

For it's size it's a very powerful tractor and will easily pull bigger logs too...

but mostly it just get's used for odd jobs,

standard.jpg

SR

not quite sure what you are talking about taking weight off the implement and back on the tires, to be more specific are you talking about 3 point or drawbar implements? the draft system does take weight and force from the implement and transfers it to the wheels. weight being the actual implement and force being the implement's resistance that transfers into down pressure because the implement is below the center line of the tractor and as a result pulls down on the drawbar. you can remove the force of the implement by raising it off the ground but you can never remove the weight of the implement unless you are unhooked from the tractor completely. you can reduce the weight of a implement in the case of say our 45 foot disk by lowering the wheels on the implement but this still doesnt remove the weight of the implement because the wheels are always far behind the centerline to prevent lift from occurring, resulting in tongue weight on the drawbar which puts down pressure on the bar which transfers to the wheels resulting in more traction.

also from your post above it percive you saying there is more traction when the implement is in the dirt and when it isnt. would you explain this in greater detail please? thanks

Weight of an implement is always on the ground, only thing that matters to traction is if the weight gets there through the tractor or not.

Anything that engages the ground at all resists movement and requires traction and power to overcome.

Some attachments carry soil, thus adding to their weight. Rollover plows, loaders, rear scoop and rippers to name a few.

All of that applies to anything you hook to a tractor, whether it is a loader, or plow, or mid mount mower.

Draft control simply varies the weight being carried by the tractor.

Weight of an implement is always on the ground, only thing that matters to traction is if the weight gets there through the tractor or not.

Anything that engages the ground at all resists movement and requires traction and power to overcome.

Some attachments carry soil, thus adding to their weight. Rollover plows, loaders, rear scoop and rippers to name a few.

All of that applies to anything you hook to a tractor, whether it is a loader, or plow, or mid mount mower.

Draft control simply varies the weight being carried by the tractor.

ahh that makes more sense now, i now know what you mean by taking weight off the implement... as in putting it on the tractor. thanks for explaining more.

Blue, we are talking about mounted implements only. As Mr HE stated that the implement has to carry(vertically) soil or more particularly have suction. Implement such as back blades and box blades when lowered completely have no weight is on the tractor and since they have no suction the soil causing the draft doesn't add a bit in traction. Of course you can lift the implement which gives you more traction and reduces draft but then gives you a washboard surface. This is why you lock out a draft control system when grading.

Since you mentioned disc, mounted double gang disc set all the way down adds no traction either. Only if you lift it and reduce tillage depth do you get added traction(along with reduced depth).

The draft control was designed for a moldboard plow. The plow depth is not controlled per say by the 3 point but how the plow is adjusted. If adjusted correctly and the draft control off it will run level with no weight on the arms. As draft increases the 3 point draft control if adjusted correctly lift just enough to transfer suction from the plow to the tractor without actually lifting the plow any. In extreme soils it may actually lift the plow to dump load but that in itself is not the point nor desired(should be running a smaller plow if this is happening frequently and everything is set up correctly.

Feb 13th is the ship date on my loader, but he says they're updating delivery times and it could be a couple weeks instead of a month. :)

Feb 13th is the ship date on my loader, but he says they're updating delivery times and it could be a couple weeks instead of a month. :)

Do you know if it will be a china made one, or a mexican made one??

The mexican made ones look a lot better made than the china made ones to me...

SR

No clue. It's coming from Deere's warehouse - wherever that is. Loader and bucket will be brand new with full warranty.

Latest posts

Back