firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added new scratches to my Tahoe driving down my future driveway. That beast wouldn't get 30' off the road.

The massey 2615 was a close second, but that dealer is 35 miles one way and has maybe 3 techs in the whole company. I really like how the 5e's are built underneath (no lines or linkages to get snagged or dented), and how they're dead simple machines. It should serve my needs well.

I added new scratches to my Tahoe driving down my future driveway. That beast wouldn't get 30' off the road.

The massey 2615 was a close second, but that dealer is 35 miles one way and has maybe 3 techs in the whole company. I really like how the 5e's are built underneath (no lines or linkages to get snagged or dented), and how they're dead simple machines. It should serve my needs well.
The 5e's are nice simple strong tractors. Have looked close at em, but I have too much orange in my blood.
Bought first of three Kubotas in 1983...

In the process of winding up with this critter, I was looking for borderline industrial units which still had decent ground clearance. 1T loader capacity, but still towable behind my 1/2T truck (towing a 5Klbs load is not ideal, but do-able if needed). The deere fit me best, had the least amount of stuff to break or wear out, I'm pretty sure it's highest for ground clearance, has the beefiest front axle (the 2615 might have the beefiest rear end), and the MFWD reduction hubs are oil bath and not greased.

At the end of the day, my heart lusted for the green one most, and has for about a year now. A new MF would've been close in price and a little more HP. There's a lot of well built tractors out there these days. Green ones hold their value well here, as do Kubota's - Massey, not so much. If I out grow it, or find it doesn't work as well as I want, or maybe even want to down-size if I end up with an offroad forklift someday, I know I can get back out for close to what I got in at.

When I was shopping for a 32-38hp tractor a few years ago, I looked hard at Kubota, Deere, Mahindra, Massey & a couple others. I wanted simple gear drive 4wd w/loader. Bought a L3800DT for 15k with 14 hours on the meeter & could not be happier.

I will get a larger 50-60hp rig at some point, but the lil Bota is here to stay.

Yes, there is something for everyone. Lots of good choices now days. :)

I hope Jim doesn't experience the myriad faults some of the Indian JD tractors have had.

Just got back in the house from hauling another 2 loads and adding them to the pile. 1st clue something was wrong was the battery light came on and then noticed the heat gauge was maxed out. Got halfway home before I decided I better just shut it off and walk home. Did some checking under the hood and somehow I managed to get a branch into the fan belt and it popped it off. I had the pleasure of fixed it in the freezing rain, man there just is no room to work on that thing. It's fixed and back in the barn to wait for more cold weather.

Just got back in the house from hauling another 2 loads and adding them to the pile. 1st clue something was wrong was the battery light came on and then noticed the heat gauge was maxed out. Got halfway home before I decided I better just shut it off and walk home. Did some checking under the hood and somehow I managed to get a branch into the fan belt and it popped it off. I had the pleasure of fixed it in the freezing rain, man there just is no room to work on that thing. It's fixed and back in the barn to wait for more cold weather.
With my luck that branch would of went through the radiator as well. Not nice weather to be out in. I spent the last two days in the bush, perfect all froze up and no snow!

I was keen to get out but things were just going badly. I barely got out with the 1st load, it was so slippery and the chains were barely helping. The 2 loads were in a crappy spot in the bush too. I need to cut a couple more wider trails in that area to make loading easier and quicker.

Thank heavens for that. Bullet dodged. Looking forward to pics of it at work, in the mud, snow, dragging trees, carrying logs/brush, heck anything.

I know of the stuck valves causing overheating issues and such. I'm not sure if that was on the manual tranny's or on the hydrostats, but there were some serious QC issues with the early units. This one's a manual, and also has some warranty days left. It only has 60 hours.

Pics of it in use will come, but I'm currently waiting on news of when it'll be delivered because we have to wait for the loader to be procured from Deere. They said they haven't had to wait long for them in the past, but Deere's closed for Christmas/New Years until Monday.

It's a '13, they supposedly made it here.

There's a BIG difference between "made" and "assembled"... Deere does final assembly here from "mostly" Mexican, India, and China parts...

The last loaders I looked at were made in china...

SR

There's a BIG difference between "made" and "assembled"... Deere does final assembly here from "mostly" Mexican, India, and China parts...

The last loaders I looked at were made in china...

SR
If you were buying a JD, would you prefer one assembled in USA or India? Having been on the rough end of an Indian assembled new tractor, I will run horses or go work in an office if ever Indian made/assembled/slapped together on a wing and a prayer using **** materials by people who couldn't give a rat's arse about quality control was the only option.

NO offence to anyone, but I wouldn't prefer a deere... They are a little too much china for me...

SR

When I was shopping for a 32-38hp tractor a few years ago, I looked hard at Kubota, Deere, Mahindra, Massey & a couple others. I wanted simple gear drive 4wd w/loader. Bought a L3800DT for 15k with 14 hours on the meeter & could not be happier.

I will get a larger 50-60hp rig at some point, but the lil Bota is here to stay.

Yes, there is something for everyone. Lots of good choices now days. :)
the choice of orange is hard to beat! either the old orange or the new orange in lt # letters/number combination, made in ota like Minnesota.... so there is a allis chalmers out there for everyone! lol

Well, I wouldn't bet too much on that one, as I have a foundry background and many in my family and a few friends do too. Some of them have now retired out of those foundries... (my nephew owned one) Yes, "some" foundries around here have closed down, but NOT one of them because of the EPA, ALL of them because it was cheaper to make a casting someplace else...

SR

I know of the stuck valves causing overheating issues and such. I'm not sure if that was on the manual tranny's or on the hydrostats, but there were some serious QC issues with the early units. This one's a manual, and also has some warranty days left. It only has 60 hours.
Sounds like you have checked or are aware of the overheating hydraulic issues. This guy was one of many who went through the ringer with all this and has some good advice here if you notice overheating or stickiness when using the 3PH or rear scv's:
http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ure-5-hours-no-problems-today.html#post138045

If you had to run a foundry in the US, you wouldn't be making tractors at all. EPA makes damn sure of that.

That's funny, Deere doesn't think so.

http://wcfcourier.com/business/prog...cle_ce1c2ec3-630e-5aa9-b140-931ee246a9d8.html

The company I work for sends well into the 8 figures a year in stamped and laser cut/formed/machined parts up to 1" thick to Deere as well, from practically your back yard.

I ain't a Deere guy, but there's a lot of American left in the long green line. Just not in the "I want a Deere, but I want it for a Mahindra price" range.

Latest posts

Back