firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a new tractor to help with firewood. Kioti CK3510 Tractor came just in time as the neighbor had a couple large maple trees cut down and gave me all the wood.
f1e2ab21a08f6d15cb56733fc82ef212.jpg
239dff1fd9a9e2d9ec16783dccdab25f.jpg
de229967734237254312d64ee97f2d2d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Captain - I agree that the big grapples can be too heavy. This 84” grapple weighs about 1,100 and it feels like it out on the loader. It was important to me that the design if needed allows removal of one tooth section on each side without getting too close to the hydraulics.
The tractor has breakout of around 6,000 and normal lift and carrying capacity of 3,300.
So if needed the grapple could be reduced in width and weight.

I have a Bobcat skid steer that proves to be valuable. However there are many places that it just can not go. It fits in the back of my dump truck just fine and that is it. It does not go into rugged steep areas. So I am planning on making some Garden Tractor modifications. A 22 GPM pump for a a loader bucket about 5oo lbs capacity. A hydraulic winch with about 100 to 150' of cable. Widen the front end with some springs and shocks. Good brakes for the front wheels. On relative flat ground it can pull around a small trailer with a half cord of wood as is. It could go often to my projects that are only accessible by good 4X4. I have a couple of small trailers that it fits into nicely. Seems like a good plan, but I do not see any others. Thanks

Ktomp - Wow, shiny! That is a lot of weight out off the rear end! Keep it and your workers safe!
Ted - You need to include photos of all that!

Ted - my reply was bifurcated to A. Ktomp and B. Ted.
No commentary intended about the value of your machinery or your activities.

I ran across a low hour tractor for a very good price a hundred miles away. However I am already committed for the next two months so trying to figure out if I can make this happen. The John Deere would have to have a very substantial winch mounted on the front to enable it to go up hills pulling a trailer and a few other modifications. The mini tractor is the only thing I can think of the will easily fit into any of my pickups. This is what I want to set up. Thanks

Attachments

• 1025 R.jpg
    1025 R.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 20
I ran across a low hour tractor for a very good price a hundred miles away. However I am already committed for the next two months so trying to figure out if I can make this happen. The John Deere would have to have a very substantial winch mounted on the front to enable it to go up hills pulling a trailer and a few other modifications. The mini tractor is the only thing I can think of the will easily fit into any of my pickups. This is what I want to set up. Thanks
My experience with tractors goes something like this. It's much cheaper to buy a tractor that's configured the way you want/need it to be than it is to buy one that isn't and start modifying things. Of course there are various attachments that you may add over time, but make sure it already has a loader, AG tires (make sure the tires have never had calcium chloride in them), hydraulic circuits you want, and the load carrying capacity to perform as intended. I wouldn't go out and spend $16K on a tractor just to use for firewood and then justify it with the buy once, cry once logo, but I would make sure that I bought something big enough to do what I wanted to do with it AND new enough that it was still somewhat serviceable.

What equipment would work well for you really depends on exactly what your circumstances are. I mainly cut hickory, oak, and locust, and the trees range from 18" to just under 30" at the base. I trailer my firewood (in log form) quite a ways down the high way (over an hour with a load on), so what works well and what doesn't work worth a darn is going to be different for me than for someone that mainly cuts 8" to 16" Ash on their own back 40.

Fishercat - Great photo!
When not flexing tractor muscles remember to carry low and slow.
Best wishes.

My experience with tractors goes something like this. It's much cheaper to buy a tractor that's configured the way you want/need it to be than it is to buy one that isn't and start modifying things. Of course there are various attachments that you may add over time, but make sure it already has a loader, AG tires (make sure the tires have never had calcium chloride in them), hydraulic circuits you want, and the load carrying capacity to perform as intended. I wouldn't go out and spend $16K on a tractor just to use for firewood and then justify it with the buy once, cry once logo, but I would make sure that I bought something big enough to do what I wanted to do with it AND new enough that it was still somewhat serviceable.

What equipment would work well for you really depends on exactly what your circumstances are. I mainly cut hickory, oak, and locust, and the trees range from 18" to just under 30" at the base. I trailer my firewood (in log form) quite a ways down the high way (over an hour with a load on), so what works well and what doesn't work worth a darn is going to be different for me than for someone that mainly cuts 8" to 16" Ash on their own back 40.
A number of years ago I needed a winch to drag logs up embankments and hills. None are available then or to day. So I built one. Total cost under $500. I contacted some fabrication shops to discover they would build to my specs for $50,000 to $70,000. The winch has proven to be valuable from time to time. When it is needed there is nothing else that will do. This particular situation looks just like it. My cost to build a tractor well under $1500 but once I start there is no substitute. It will likely take me a whole summer of free time to get it operational. I have a crawler with a four in one bucket that moves logs just fine but it hardly ever gets used. It takes several hours to get it loaded on to a trailer then a day to transport it to a location then another day to dead head it to a site. Total turn around time is a week if all goes smooth. The USFS will not allow me to leave it any where for more than over night and it leaves a huge foot print. When it is needed it is valuable. My skid steer Bobcat is much faster but it still leaves a pretty good foot print. It however can be put on one of many trailers and hauled with a pick up to where ever. It can not be left any where that some one could notice it. It however will not pull a load up a hill though. I can buy a garden size tractor with a loader bucket but that is it. Tractors in general do not have operational brakes especially garden tractor sizes. Kabota type all wheel drive tractors seem like the closest thing to reality. They in many cases could be driven on to the back of a normal pickup but still would be unable to haul a laod up a hill with out the aid of a winch. So a tractor with great brakes loader capable small foot print and winch would have to be fabricated. A garden tractor that leaves a small foot print much easier to obscure and would have the capacity to pull a load up a steep hill seems like the best option. Hopefully some one will find flaws in my logic and talk me out of it before I start. Thanks

Is that a 1025r? I love mine!

Yes it is. Thanks
1025r is a fantastic tractor, mine is a 2015.
If it hasn't already been done, be sure to replace the air cleaner with the new design that mounts to the radiator support and not the metal bracket on the valve cover. Major design flaw and the valve covers are breaking and destroying the engines on 2015 - 2018 or thereabout 1025s.
Here is how I modified mine and removed the metal bracket from the valve cover.
20210522_213507.jpg20210522_213000.jpg20210522_213032.jpg

And here's muh tractors... JD 1025r, 1050
Satoh Elk
JD 316

20201109_172021_HDR.jpg20200523_170807.jpg
20191227_190129.jpg

Latest posts

Back