firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there is a world of difference between 2WD vs 4WD but weight to the rear in the 3pt is all most more important, many 4wd front axels are not to solid made, on older tractors parts supply for front axles are not the best for 4wd.

I have a 90 horse big deutz here that I use, just rear wheel drive and a stout FEL. It won't go across tobacco spit on the ground, way unbalanced and loses rear end traction with any load on the bucket. Has to be hard and dry to operate that thing anywhere.

Whereas the 60 horse RWD deutz with the tote box on the back will do two foot deep mud.

Not much experience with 4wd tractors at all, but I would imagine they go better overall but still need to be balanced out front and rear for loads.
The fact that your big 90hp has no traction at the rear tires with a load on the FEL just re-enforces the need for 3 pt counter weight. Same situation except 4wd instead, the smaller front axle is taking most of the load and doing most of the pulling. It's better if the larger rear axle is doing most of the work don't ya think? ;)

The fact that your big 90hp has no traction at the rear tires with a load on the FEL just re-enforces the need for 3 pt counter weight. Same situation except 4wd instead, the smaller front axle is taking most of the load and doing most of the pulling. It's better if the larger rear axle is doing most of the work don't ya think? ;)

Oh ya, I agree. I mean, this bucket loader is dang stout, it can pick up about anything you can get in the bucket, but it gets clunky fast, need hard surface and ya, you can see those front wheels squish out. It has backhoe front tires, but still...

I ever hit the lottery, I am getting a REAL tractor that will go point A to B and do some work as the number one toy...proly a grapple skidder, or something like that with tracks.

I don't know why really, just want one..chase the neighborhood kids around on their ATVs...

Below is my little firewood tractor. Before the debate continues, let me be the first to say it needs more front-end ballast and it wasn't designed for some of the loads I place on it. :) Ron

Ideal size load.

IMG_2553.JPG IMG_2554.JPG

Overloaded it trying to load a 4'+ diameter red oak on the trailer; broke the lift arm link in two. Testing the grip of the replacement NT tongs. First set was useless.

IMG_2415.JPG IMG_2552.JPG

I have a 90 horse big deutz here that I use, just rear wheel drive and a stout FEL. It won't go across tobacco spit on the ground, way unbalanced and loses rear end traction with any load on the bucket. Has to be hard and dry to operate that thing anywhere.
Whereas the 60 horse RWD deutz with the tote box on the back will do two foot deep mud.
Not much experience with 4wd tractors at all, but I would imagine they go better overall but still need to be balanced out front and rear for loads.

HUGE difference between 2wd and MFWD tractors, for balance ect...

Is your Deutz an "06" series? I've had 3 Deutz tractors, still have one...they have been pretty good tractors for me.

SR

HUGE difference between 2wd and MFWD tractors, for balance ect...

Is your Deutz an "06" series? I've had 3 Deutz tractors, still have one...they have been pretty good tractors for me.

SR

Not mine, my employer's, but I use them about exclusively, the other employees have their own gear.

One is a 6206, the larger one is a dx90.

I own a wheelhorse....that needs an engine..used to be nice though...

IMG_20140619_113907586.jpg

FisherSeatDL650056.jpg

I have the forks on the FEL, so I pick up the logs, set them at waist height and cut from each end alternating so the logs stays balanced. I am just finishing up on 20+ cords....I love my tractor/splitter/loader :)

Rwoods I like that 3-point firewood hauler...I might just have to copy your design.

Rwoods I like that 3-point firewood hauler...I might just have to copy your design.

Thanks. It was originally an inverted "T" for forks only (you can find forklift forks at most scrap yards). But even though it is 1/2" thick, my little tractor would twist the bottom angle so the top tube was added for rigidity. From there the idea of a detachable boom was developed. It also has a 2" receiver hitch built-in.

Don't know where in NE TN you are located but you are welcome to come take a look. I'm in Greeneville.

Glad to hear you like your splitter. I have looked at those many times.

Ron

I got it from Northern Tool in Knox when it was on sale a couple of years ago. I can count on one hand how many rounds it would not split...and two of them were in these last 20+ cords. On all of those a re-position got it done, so I have to give it a 9 out of a 10. What it needs is a automatic hyd lever stop, so when the ram gets to the end of travel it kicks the lever to "neutral", and a slightly larger set of wings to stage the rounds on.
Here is where I am at on my 10+ cords...the trailer is 18' long for scale:
Highwaypegs013.jpg

Out to clear some bushes, using the winch to pull them the way I want them to fall

[photo="medium"]1251[/photo]

[photo="medium"]1249[/photo]

[photo="medium"]1250[/photo]

[photo="medium"]1248[/photo]

[photo="medium"]1247[/photo]

Yes its very handy in almost all logging

I thought about getting one, found a used one in the $2500 range, but I've not been looking too long, so I don't know if that is a good price or not. I've got bigger machines, but some jobs don't need big and hauling something behind a 1 ton would sure be nice.

I have an IH 350 Utility tractor, weighs about 6k, I think it would work well on.

Mr. HE:cool:

My winch pulls 3000kg an my MF135 is ca 1700kg and that works OK.

Latest posts

Back