Firewood transporting in Ohio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clt5875.gif

My sunny little corner of paradise.

Chuck

There is one eastbound 422 right around the chagrin river road overpass I believe is the name of the road, basically in between 91 and 306. I just saw one by the Home depot on 43 in aurora.

l_30cb0c0770302babaec2099c1c7293df.jpg

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen it or didn't notice it. There's a few tree services with yards in Geauga that work in Cuyahoga. 'Wonder what they do about bringing ash waste back to the yard? Looks like it may be a busy summer.
Regards,
Phil

small wood,

Yeah i was thinking the same about the the guys hauling loads and loads of wood back and forth everyday. I noticed the signs weren't facing the other direction so its okay to take it into cuyahoga?? It all seems a bit strange. Oh and I also mentioned earlier what about mulch? How can you even begin to regulate that and say whether or not it has ash in it??

We have quarantines here in Indiana as well. As far as the movement of pulpwood and everything else. All trees can be chipped and moved or debarked and moves as trees for lumber as long as there's no bark on them or they've been chipped. Working in Marion county over the summer we had to cut firewood sections into small slabs to fit through a bandit 200+ chipper and then dispose of the waste. It was a pain in the a$$.

Don't know what the deal is here, we had signs on EVERY road that leaves the county that got taken down about a week ago. Maybe they figured out the bugs can't read?:D

From the USDA's EAB FAQ website (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publicati...rintable_version/emerald_ash_borer_faqs.pdf):

Q: Does USDA’s EAB quarantine affect the interstate
movement of hardwood (non ash) nursery
stock or hardwood (non ash) wood products?
A: There are no federal restrictions on the interstate
movement of non ash hardwood products such as
nursery stock, logs, branches, green lumber or chips.
However, the interstate movement of all hardwood
firewood is regulated under the Federal Quarantine.

So according to this you can move nonash wood across state line quarantines, as long as it isn't split. Does anybody know if this holds true of the state of Ohio's intrastate quarantine?

Last edited:
That would all seem to depend on what their interpretation of firewood is, and or what the officer pulling you over has as an interpretation of what constitutes firewood.

I have not seen an actual black and white explanation of what they consider firewood to be.

I would assume that if you were hauling a load of wood bucked into 16 to 24 inch lengths regardless of if it is split or not, they would get you for firewood.

Now if you were hauling say 8 to 12 foot lengths of non ash hardwood, they may have a hard time of disproving whatever you tell them it is for.

I dont really see the difference myself. What is the difference between a 12'X3' oak log, and the same log bucked and split for stovewood?

Chuck

...I dont really see the difference myself. What is the difference between a 12'X3' oak log, and the same log bucked and split for stovewood?

Chuck

The only thing I can see is if it is split, it is hard for the average enforcement officer to identify what kind of wood it is (assuming an interior piece with no bark on it). Though by that logic, if it has no bark on it, it should be free of the insects anyway, according to the USDA. Sort of seems like a circular argument.

At any rate, as far as the difference between a 12' log and an 18" log-I have a hard time seeing any distinction.

The circular logic thing is exactly it my friend.

They design a law to protect us from ourselves and then make it imposssible to comply with, open to interpretation, and worded in such a fashion that if brought up on charges you could be found guilty for even saying the word firewood.

The people caught in the circle are us, the fortunate tax payers.

:bang: :buttkick: :sword: :stupid: wow, I just read this thread. I challange any law enforcement officer to identify any log. I bet they are wrong 9 out of 10 times. Once again, all I can think is, vote out all incumbents and lets start over. These legislators are morons. I'm just speachless at the stupidity of all this. :bowdown: to the government....we know whats best for you:bowdown: :laugh:

On Dec. 1, 2006, USDA quarantined the entire states of Illinois, Indiana and Ohio — more than doubling the previously quarantined area, which included the lower peninsula of Michigan. The federal order prohibits the movement of quarantined materials out of the state of Ohio without federal certification. These materials include all hardwood firewood; pallets; ash nursery stock and green lumber; and any other ash material including logs, stumps, roots, branches, as well as composted and uncomposted wood chips.

The federal quarantine does not change Ohio’s quarantine, which still makes it illegal to move all hardwood firewood, ash trees and parts of an ash tree out of 26 counties: Auglaize, Cuyahoga, Delaware, Defiance, Erie, Franklin, Fulton, Hancock, Hardin, Henry, Huron, Logan, Lorain, Lucas, Marion, Medina, Mercer, Miami, Sandusky, Seneca, Ottawa, Paulding, Warren, Williams, Wood, and Wyandot. Violators face state fines up to $4,000. Federal fines are much steeper.

http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~news/story.php?id=4026

Kiss your ash goodbye

Looks like the ash are headed the way of the chestnut and the american elm. Some of the research I've heard is that once the affected trees are chipped to a maximum size chip then the beetle can't survive. I've also heard that a systemic insecticide such as Bayer's Merit 75WP will control the insect. Figures that if the insecticide moves through the cambium and the insect feeds there then mixing the two should result in death. It must be a hard sell to get people to use insecticides to save a tree that most folks take for granted. Maybe there should be info booths at all baseball parks stating that there may be fewer choices for baseball bats in the future. The government may wash their hands of it and let the public take the hit on removal costs. Then it's off to get that crane!

...They design a law to protect us from ourselves and then make it imposssible to comply with, open to interpretation, and worded in such a fashion that if brought up on charges you could be found guilty for even saying the word firewood...

Well put.

I still think, though, from everything I've read, if you are moving whole logs (that aren't ash) you are okay. You just can't move split hardwood (though I think the interpretation is meant to be deciduous-as the only "okay" species I've seen specifically mentioned were coniferous) out of the quarantine areas. So I guess as long as that truly is the case, I won't worry about it too much. I do all my splitting at home anyway and don't plan to sell any wood, so I should have no need to transport split wood.

Back