Firewood won't burn :(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut "Green" wood and it burns just fine. The difference is its been standing dead for years and is seasoned. I don't have a problem with things here, and I am trying to follow the thread. Most people in my area cut standing dead or down trees for heat. All the wood is very hard and doesn't hiss or foam when burning. Burns clean and all night, no different than kiln dried wood. The best part is all the wood is free, and its cleaning up our forests. I feel there is nothing wrong with cutting standing dead firewood, or good downed trees. I don't find it necessary to cut the green live trees, because I want the trees around me. Also everyone I know that burns wood would buy dead trees. Around here wood is 120.00 a full cord, or 40 a face cord.

No problem here manual.

I have been trying to follow it, but it hasn't made much sense to me yet. There is the high likely hood I am not the sharpest crayon in the box. I keep working at trying to understand the logic, but it seems more like attitudes than anything.

I have been concerned that it would hit the gutter a couple of times, but so far it's been mostly civil.

popc1.gif

Last edited:
I call green wood wood that is wet, if you put it in the fire and it hisses its green, and you put it in the fire and it goes up in a ball of flames and does not hiss then its safe to say it's seasoned even if it was still standing. All of my wood comes from tree jobs. Last year I got a job cutting up about six large locust that came down in a storm. They were about 18" in diameter and all were laying on the ground when I got there. One of them had been standing but obviosly dead, the saw chips from this tree were absoultly dry all the way through half of the bark was off and the stuff weighed half of the weight of the other trees, I wish I had a video of me splitting this stuff all you had to do was put some pressure on the log and it sounded like a gunshot and the peices would land four feet off the end of the splitter, the first couple of logs scared the #$#% out of me, this stuff was unreal, I never had to make a full cycle on one of those dry dead logs, they just popped and shot right out the end of the splitter four way nad all, needless to say I tried burning a few pieces that night and could not believe how hot those logs burned. The locust burned no were near as long as red or white oak what I normally get, but the stuff burns great in the spring and fall when I dont need the fire as hot and can feed it a little more often, MtnBikerChk you will know when you get some dry wood it will start real easy and burn clean when you get it nice and hot. Here in Mass. you can get green wet wood or nice dry wood and both guys will tell you that its seasoned :laugh: . You need to look at he stuff your buying and if it looks no good tell them you don't want it. When I sold wood I sold it as "green" for about half of what it was worth seasoned, the stuff was fresh cut and wet so it went out discounted. I needed the room and some wood had to go, would I sell that as seasoned? NO no one would call me again If I sold green wet wood for top dollar. The term I see in the paper all the time is "forest fresh" lol there is a place right down the street from me selling cords for $285 seasoned but when I drove buy to check it out for lack of anything better to do, the stuff was so dirty/muddy from being pushed up with a front end loader, you would be shoveling the dirt out of your stove all winter, it was seasoned because the pile was there last year too, look at what your buying, I would always tell people to come out and look at the load I was droping off before I dumped it and make sure that they were satisfied with quality and quantity, never had any problems because they had a say right up until the stuff hit the ground. Wood is tough to buy unseen you either need to trust the person selling it to you or you need to look at the load. Good luck Jon

I call green wood wood that is wet, if you put it in the fire and it hisses its green, and you put it in the fire and it goes up in a ball of flames and does not hiss then its safe to say it's seasoned even if it was still standing. All of my wood comes from tree jobs. Last year I got a job cutting up about six large locust that came down in a storm. They were about 18" in diameter and all were laying on the ground when I got there. One of them had been standing but obviosly dead, the saw chips from this tree were absoultly dry all the way through half of the bark was off and the stuff weighed half of the weight of the other trees, I wish I had a video of me splitting this stuff all you had to do was put some pressure on the log and it sounded like a gunshot and the peices would land four feet off the end of the splitter, the first couple of logs scared the #$#% out of me, this stuff was unreal, I never had to make a full cycle on one of those dry dead logs, they just popped and shot right out the end of the splitter four way nad all, needless to say I tried burning a few pieces that night and could not believe how hot those logs burned. The locust burned no were near as long as red or white oak what I normally get, but the stuff burns great in the spring and fall when I dont need the fire as hot and can feed it a little more often, MtnBikerChk you will know when you get some dry wood it will start real easy and burn clean when you get it nice and hot. Here in Mass. you can get green wet wood or nice dry wood and both guys will tell you that its seasoned :laugh: . You need to look at he stuff your buying and if it looks no good tell them you don't want it. When I sold wood I sold it as "green" for about half of what it was worth seasoned, the stuff was fresh cut and wet so it went out discounted. I needed the room and some wood had to go, would I sell that as seasoned? NO no one would call me again If I sold green wet wood for top dollar. The term I see in the paper all the time is "forest fresh" lol there is a place right down the street from me selling cords for $285 seasoned but when I drove buy to check it out for lack of anything better to do, the stuff was so dirty/muddy from being pushed up with a front end loader, you would be shoveling the dirt out of your stove all winter, it was seasoned because the pile was there last year too, look at what your buying, I would always tell people to come out and look at the load I was droping off before I dumped it and make sure that they were satisfied with quality and quantity, never had any problems because they had a say right up until the stuff hit the ground. Wood is tough to buy unseen you either need to trust the person selling it to you or you need to look at the load. Good luck Jon

Its also would be a good idear to visit the dealers firewod yard and or to be present when you have a firewood delivery. This way, you can check and inspect the firewood before payment is made and or before being unloaded. Just be sure you know what to look for or know what to ask when you order firewood. You want to make sure the firewood you seen is the firewood that you are going to be recieving.My 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
seems to be the main answer right here....

you actually have homeowners that will spend over $1200 on a cord of wood? to burn?

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

No, Thats the unit pricing. A 1/3 cord may last an average home owner 1 to 3 years to use up. And average home owner might use 10 bundles of firewood a year @ 5.00 bundle ( unit pricing $ 853.00 per cord). Don't home owners or camping people buy bundle firewood in your region or partial cords ?? I guess partial cords in your area are refered to as a face cords, ricks and etc.

Last edited:
No, Thats the unit pricing. A 1/3 cord may last an average home owner 1 to 3 years to use up. And average home owner might use 10 bundles of firewood a year @ 5.00 bundle ( unit pricing $ 853.00 per cord). Don't home owners or camping people buy bundle firewood in your region or partial cords ?? I guess partial cords in your area are refered to as a face cords, ricks and etc.

most of the campgrounds around here sell a dole banana box full of wood for $5. i never buy it, though, since i have more than enough in our woods here.

everyone here (most people, anyway) buys either full cords or truckloads...

Dont Shop Vac Ashes Duhhhh

:newbie: DO NOT - I REPETE - DO NOT CLEAN YOUR ASHES ALL THE WAY OUT WITH A WET DRY VAC.YOU HAVE TO HAVE OLD ASHES IN THERE ALL THE TIME , AT LEAST A COUPLE INCHS OR SO .... HELPS HOLD THE COALS IN PLACE ... JUST A LEARNIN ONE MISTAKE AT A TIME...... LIKE MOST

wood identication

the stuff looks almost rotten. If so, it aint gonna burn worth much but the smoke will be something else.

And like wilson said, get your chimney cleaned & inspected, it helps prevent chimney fires.

:taped: that wood wouldnt happen yo be dome punky elm would it guys?please let me know also;)

:newbie: DO NOT - I REPETE - DO NOT CLEAN YOUR ASHES ALL THE WAY OUT WITH A WET DRY VAC.YOU HAVE TO HAVE OLD ASHES IN THERE ALL THE TIME , AT LEAST A COUPLE INCHS OR SO .... HELPS HOLD THE COALS IN PLACE ... JUST A LEARNIN ONE MISTAKE AT A TIME...... LIKE MOST

how about some web manners DUUUHHHHH :chainsaw:

and ps - way to be TIMELY

Latest posts

Back