Firewood won't burn :(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OaK Wilt is as common as a cold. I believe it is spread by open wounds in the tree. Mold spores. In a forest would be if branches break off from high winds,
you now have a open wound. or A tree service trims back a oak in the summer time.the open wound gets infected as soon as air hits it.
This is why it is best to trim oaks in the late fall to early spring.
Now the trees I am cutting for firewood sale are dead and are in between rows of Red pine stands. Why do you think these trees are dying.
Also Ash is the only wood that is Quarantined in Michigan and Nobody can take it out of the area. I do not live or cut in those areas.
I'll get back to you on the birch bore.

So there aint no bugs on me, No there aint no bugs on me, There might be Bugs on some of you slugs but there aint no Bugs on me.
BTW, Do you really think I or anybody Else is going to believe that your great big pile of wood is bug free.

I can see by reading you post about trimming in the winter time. I believe it also has the same effects when its suggesting to only prune home grown fruit trees during the same "winter" time frame.
I dont have a clue why trees die between Red pine !!!
If I'm not mistaken, MI is also a quarantine region for gypsy moth which is controled under the USDA/APHIS dept.
As to the BTW paragraph ( e.g. ....going to believe.......of wood is bug free....." I don't believe I ever said or stated that " we have bug free firewood " !! Having or stating that I / we have bug free wood is impossible to accomplish. There is always a possibility of having bugs and or insects in firewood, even after being treated. BUT, our firewood has been treated for bug and insect infestation and is approved by (USDA/APHIS, compliance agreement # GM-98-07) as being so. Of course, The USDA/APHIS; bug and insect infestation treatment program " IS NOT " a life time treatment, by any means. But, I can say that we have less bugs and or insect infestation (internally and externally) in our firewood than anyone else does, comparing to that of un-treated firewood.
But anyway, Happy New Year to you and all.

Last edited:
Oak Wilt

I thought Oak Wilt was spread through the root system. The DNR was trenching to cut the roots between infected and non infected trees to stop the spread. Don't know if it worked or not, I moved out of that area shortly after that. They also said if your keeping infected Red Oak for firewood to strip the bark and take it to a DNR site so they could burn it. This was in the mpls. / st. paul area, we don't have Oak Wilt in the northern part of the state.

I thought Oak Wilt was spread through the root system. The DNR was trenching to cut the roots between infected and non infected trees to stop the spread. Don't know if it worked or not, I moved out of that area shortly after that. They also said if your keeping infected Red Oak for firewood to strip the bark and take it to a DNR site so they could burn it. This was in the mpls. / st. paul area, we don't have Oak Wilt in the northern part of the state.

One way of it spreading. It is also airborn.

I can see by reading you post about trimming in the winter time. I believe it also has the same effects when its suggesting to only prune home grown fruit trees during the same "winter" time frame.
I dont have a clue why trees die between Red pine !!!
If I'm not mistaken, MI is also a quarantine region for gypsy moth which is controled under the USDA/APHIS dept.
As to the BTW paragraph ( e.g. ....going to believe.......of wood is bug free....." I don't believe I ever said or stated that " we have bug free firewood " !! Having or stating that I / we have bug free wood is impossible to accomplish. There is always a possibility of having bugs and or insects in firewood, even after being treated. BUT, our firewood has been treated for bug and insect infestation and is approved by (USDA/APHIS, compliance agreement # GM-98-07) as being so. Of course, The USDA/APHIS; bug and insect infestation treatment program " IS NOT " a life time treatment, by any means. But, I can say that we have less bugs and or insect infestation (internally and externally) in our firewood than anyone else does, comparing to that of un-treated firewood.
But anyway, Happy New Year to you and all.

Well I thought you might have an Idea on why these trees are dying. My guess and it is a guess.
The Oaks are dieing out because, the Red pine is changing the soil PH balance.
Glad you said your wood has bugs , I was beginning to think that your wood was better quality then mine. Guess not.
You have a happy New Year too.

I tried the same links in your post #75 and they worked for me....try again Jeff.

OOppps nope they go to a page that says unfound...have to track it back Jeff.

Jeff went back to post#3 and copy pasted them and they were still dead. If you really want to see go to post #3 its the only place they will work, but you have allready seen them there a few days back.

Last edited:
Well I thought you might have an Idea on why these trees are dying. My guess and it is a guess.
The Oaks are dieing out because, the Red pine is changing the soil PH balance.
Glad you said your wood has bugs , I was beginning to think that your wood was better quality then mine. Guess not.
You have a happy New Year too.

I seems to me, that you are missing the issue of not knowing what the K/D processing is, or the phases that are involved or the final outcome in treating firewood for insect and bug infestation. I will give you a crash course so you will have a better understanding. You commence from processing from living ( non diseased ) trees into firewood and place them in a kiln for 3 to 5 days at a average temperture of 180-190 degrees. Once the firewood is retreaved from the kiln's, any and all bugs and or insects that was present through out the firewood are now dead from the kiln drying process. So technicality speaking, we may have bugs/insects in our firewood, but they are now all dead bugs and or dead insects from being treated via Kiln Drying process. There is no such thing as having bug or insect free firewood unless you dissect each piece and extract each bug or insect from the firewood, which is impossible to do. Furthermore, Kiln Drying does not extract bugs and insect from firewood, as some people may think so.
When you replied that you are real happy and glad to hear "..that my wood has bugs.... " But I failed to further explain or re-phrase in detail that " our firewood may or may not have bugs and or insects but any and all of the bugs and insects that was present before the kiln dring process, are all dead now ". Thats why we only advertise and offer that our firewood has been treated for bug and insect infestation. We DO NOT offer or have ever claimed to have bug free firewood.
As to the "..better quality then... " that you mentioned, let the consumer's make their own decision on who has the better quality.

Last edited:
I know what you are saying by K/D wood. Thats why when I asked about the taste of K/D bugs.
End result My wood burns and your wood burns,
It's nice to see you have customers that will give there money to you so easy because it's designer wood. Wish I could find suckers around here to do the same.

I know what you are saying by K/D wood. Thats why when I asked about the taste of K/D bugs.
It's nice to see you have customers that will give there money to you so easy because it's designer wood. Wish I could find suckers around here to do the same.

Well,first you have to develop that "designer wood dealer" attitude;) :laugh:

I think the orginal issue, from what I gathered from reading your previous post that was being discussed is about who's having bugs and insects in their firewood. If I recall from reading the other post, all wood will eventually burns, even that so called "gray back". I guess if you now jump to another issue of thinking that "the end results" is "...wood burns and.....burns" . I think you will find from the consumers stand point that "not all firewood is created equal ". According to most consumers, there is more to quality than just having firewood to eventually burn.
Just a suggestion, You might want to improve your attitude some what in stating "...have customers...." as being "....suckers...". I think that attitude will get you no where. Furthermore, you might even learn something new if you listen to your customers suggestions or other suggestions that being presented. Of course, you don't have to go though life having a negative attitude, either.
I guess in closing, dont you wish you were firewoodguy.com. Lighten up some !!
Happy New Year !!

Last edited:
Firewood

WOW, This thread really went off the subject but made some entertaining reading! :clap: :cheers:

I think the orginal issue, from what I gathered from reading your previous post that was being discussed is about who's having bugs and insects in their firewood. If I recall from reading the other post, all wood will eventually burns, even that so called "gray back". I guess if you now jump to another issue of thinking that "the end results" is "...wood burns and.....burns" . I think you will find from the consumers stand point that "not all firewood is created equal ". According to most consumers, there is more to quality than just having firewood to eventually burn.
Just a suggestion, You might want to improve your attitude some what in stating "...have customers...." as being "....suckers...". I think that attitude will get you no where. Furthermore, you might even learn something new if you listen to your customers suggestions or other suggestions that being presented. Of course, you don't have to go though life having a negative attitude, either.
I guess in closing, dont you wish you were firewoodguy.com. Lighten up some !!
Happy New Year !!

All righty then,
you sell your wood for what I understand 400.00 a 1/3 cord because why ?
you kilned dried it.
Now what do you sell your wood for if you air dry it ?

Also if your ever in California, and travel through the central cost Hyw.101
Stop in Nipomo and go the the resturant called Jacos. And have your self a Santa Maria BBQ Dinner. or if you are lucky you can just travel through Santa Maria on a week end and eat at a stand raising money for something. Let me tell you why I say this.
You will get a cut of Beef called Tri Tip along with Santa Maria Beens, Salad and Bread All cooked over Oak, Red Oak, I can assure you that none of that wood was Kiln Dried.
People are lined up to eat at Jacos, everyday, Eating steak cooked over non Kiln Dried wood. "The Nerve, ay"
Guess what Jacos pays 180.00 a 1/3 cord and thats in California. All I have ever seen growing around Nipomo is Eucalyptus, so there Oak is trucked in at least 75 miles away.
Now Back here in Buggy, Dead wood Michigan I am lucky to get $65.00 a 1/3 cord of wood delivered, in my area.
Now a guy that sells our firewood down State in Oakland County. (One of the top ten Richest county's in the U.S.) Gets $100.00 a 1/3 cord of wood. He told me he would buy 20 face cords of firewood at a time, He picks at 50 a face.
What I am telling you is that you a very lucky to sell your wood the way you are. And this shows me there are suckers in your area buying it.
So lets get back to Seasoned Wood. What does "Seasoned Wood" mean ?
It means the wood is dry enough to burn "Aged" Standing dead wood is already age Natures way, A good wood tick like myself and others can tell if its aged enough to sell as soon as it is cut. And will burn right away.
Kiln drying only speeds up the drying process, Yes it cost more to process so I understand you have to absorb your cost in your product.

You might want to take a little advice from me and don't belittle other guys because the don't kiln dry there wood. Palletize and shrink rap it.

All righty then,
you sell your wood for what I understand 400.00 a 1/3 cord because why ?
you kilned dried it.
Now what do you sell your wood for if you air dry it ?

Also if your ever in California, and travel through the central cost Hyw.101
Stop in Nipomo and go the the resturant called Jacos. And have your self a Santa Maria BBQ Dinner. or if you are lucky you can just travel through Santa Maria on a week end and eat at a stand raising money for something. Let me tell you why I say this.
You will get a cut of Beef called Tri Tip along with Santa Maria Beens, Salad and Bread All cooked over Oak, Red Oak, I can assure you that none of that wood was Kiln Dried.
People are lined up to eat at Jacos, everyday, Eating steak cooked over non Kiln Dried wood. "The Nerve, ay"
Guess what Jacos pays 180.00 a 1/3 cord and thats in California. All I have ever seen growing around Nipomo is Eucalyptus, so there Oak is trucked in at least 75 miles away.
Now Back here in Buggy, Dead wood Michigan I am lucky to get $65.00 a 1/3 cord of wood delivered, in my area.
Now a guy that sells our firewood down State in Oakland County. (One of the top ten Richest county's in the U.S.) Gets $100.00 a 1/3 cord of wood. He told me he would buy 20 face cords of firewood at a time, He picks at 50 a face.
What I am telling you is that you a very lucky to sell your wood the way you are. And this shows me there are suckers in your area buying it.
So lets get back to Seasoned Wood. What does "Seasoned Wood" mean ?
It means the wood is dry enough to burn "Aged" Standing dead wood is already age Natures way, A good wood tick like myself and others can tell if its aged enough to sell as soon as it is cut. And will burn right away.
Kiln drying only speeds up the drying process, Yes it cost more to process so I understand you have to absorb your cost in your product.

You might want to take a little advice from me and don't belittle other guys because the don't kiln dry there wood. Palletize and shrink rap it.

First of all. I think your understanding is some what in-correct. Before you even think or to start to pass stories around about me, Get your facts straight first. I don't like people in passing around un-true stories. First of all, we charge $405.00 for a 1/3 cord "NOT" $400.00 as you stated :hmm3grin2orange: plus a delivery:hmm3grin2orange: So we now have that subject squared away.
It seems to me that anyone that sells or purchase firewood where the cost is greater than ($65.00 for 1/3 cord ) what you are selling firewood for are :hmm3grin2orange: , in your words are "...Suckers...." and or "...Suckers in your area.." . You mentioned that CA pays $180.00 for 1/3 cord, you also mentioned that Oakland County pays $100.00 for 1/3 cord, We also sell to local BBQ resturants and local chains of nationwide resturants too for alot more than $405.00 . I guess that you also insinuating that all these firewood dealers and consumers are " Sucker's " too ? I guess in your eye's, I must be the biggest " Sucker" in the world or universe for selling specialty firewood up to $933.34 for 1/3 cord, plus shipping OR selling specialty BBQ chunks for $62.50 cubic foot ( e.g $2,666.63 per 1/3 cord) plus shipping) ?? Hmmm.
Its amazing how you can just judge people without even knowing all the facts first. Oh Well !!
As to your question as to what is seasoned wood ? Hmmm, and you sell firewood and you don't have a clue as to what seasoned firewood is ?? :deadhorse:
I do know that the definition for green wood is ; freshly cut wood. Is there any part of that you don't understand ??
Furthermore, I'm in no way in "belittle"ing you or other guy's and or anyone else. Though, I do think that sometimes, the shoe is on the other foot. If you and or anyone else can sell firewood for $65.00 for 1/3 cord, good luck to you. But don't think for one minute that I'm going to lower my standards to you in undercutting your prices.
Anyway, I think this is getting somewhat off track. I think the orginal main topic was refering to gray back issues and or firewood wont burn. Any other issues that you been posting, you should start another thread to continue your issues.

I never called you a sucker, No need to call you names.
Also I said You have a good thing going on with your wood sales.

Now the average income around here is in the 10.00 dollar an hour .
@ 40 hours a week = 400.00 - taxes, a person could not afford to pay what you are asking.
Do your employees buy your wood for heat. I'm willing to bet not.

I have already told you what Seasoned wood is please read post again.
If you think I am wrong please inform me, your reasons why.

Why do you insist that I am selling green Wood ? I showed you how the wood I am selling burns. no steam and I just cut it two days before the picture was taken. No bugs eather.
Now lets sit aside your kilned dryed wood for awhile, and look at you air dryed seasoned wood.

A) does it come from the forest ? Mine Does too.
B) do you cut, split stack or pile ? So do I.

What now makes yours so much better.

I pay $650.00 For 10 full cords delivered to my wood lot $1,100.00 for 20 full cord.
If you don't mind me asking, What are you paying in your area ?

Last edited:
I never called you a sucker, No need to call you names.
Also I said You have a go thing going on with your wood sales.

Now the average income around here is in the 10.00 dollar an hour .
@ 40 hours a week = 400.00 - taxes, a person could not afford to pay what you are asking.
Do your employees buy your wood for heat. I'm willing to bet not.

I have already told you what Seasoned wood is please read post again.
If you think I am wrong please inform me, your reasons why.

Why do you insist that I am selling green Wood ? I showed you how the wood I am selling burns. no steam and I just cut it two days before the picture was taken. No bugs eather.
Now lets sit aside your kilned dryed wood for awhile, and look at you air dryed seasoned wood.

A) does it come from the forest ? Mine Does too.
B) do you cut, split stack or pile ? So do I.

What now makes yours so much better.

I pay $650.00 For 10 full cords delivered to my wood lot $1,100.00 for 20 full cord.
If you don't mind me asking, What are you paying in your area ?

Manual, I think to continue your topic, this should be under the "Business Managemnent" section. Again this topic was orginally (firewood wont burn ) and I think its getting off track nor do I think its fair for the author and or other viewers to continue this descussion. But I can't answer most of your guestions due to the fact that I dont know or we are in a different region that you are. But, It seams that I may be selling to a different clientell than you are in your region. I guess, If you are satisfied with the way your firewood operations, thats really all that counts.:cool:

Anybody got problem with this thread going on here.
Please speak up. Moderators, Anybody ?
If so I would be glad to take it somewhere else.

No problem here manual.

I have been trying to follow it, but it hasn't made much sense to me yet. There is the high likely hood I am not the sharpest crayon in the box. I keep working at trying to understand the logic, but it seems more like attitudes than anything.

I have been concerned that it would hit the gutter a couple of times, but so far it's been mostly civil.

If bark is on oak trees the oak wilt fungi is alive. If the bark is falling off the tree the fungi is dead and it will not spread it needs a living tree. More apt to spread to healthy trees by cutting live diseased trees. at least that is what the county forester told me!:chainsaw:
I'm not sure about how dutch elm is spread tho?

I have quite a few elm trees on my property. A lot of them are standing dead. Dutch elm disease is caused by a fungus that is carried to the elm trees by the elm beetle. You would have thought that all of the elm trees would have been killed off long ago. Young elm trees are resistant to the disease until they reach a certain size. It allows the elms to continue to reproduce. It is kind of a rare sight to have a mature healthy elm. I guess that if an elm was isolated from other elms it would stand a better chance of avoiding the elm beetles. Mature elms are majestic to look at. They have a very pronounced root flair that makes them easy to spot.

Back