Firewood won't burn :(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fishhuntcutwood said:
I guess I don't know what we're arguing about. Who cares how long between cutting and selling? It's a matter of how long it's been dead and drying or "seasoning." It can either dry standing as a snag or stacked on the ground. Maybe I'm missing your point.

But yes, you can burn wet wood. In survival school we burned logs we pulled out of a lake. Anything will burn.

No arguing, Just stating a fact like you, Seasoned wood can be standing dead wood, Wood does not have to be cut and stacked for months to be call seasoned.

PA Plumber said:
FHCW,

I would like to hear/read more about the "lake wood" burning! :cool:

HA! Not much to tell. Winter survival school on Kodiak for all aircrew and pilots. It's cold, it's overnight, it sucks. You eat live hermit crabs and make your shelter an all of that. Comes time for a fire, you get one started like on TV with a flint or whatever. Once you get it going on moss, grass and twigs, and get it hot enough, it'll burn anything....albeit smokey. So yeah, we drug some logs out of a little lake, and within a couple of hours of "drying" out near the fire, they went on themselves and burned.

Interesting .............

manual said:
OK every body that look at my post did not look close enough.
Thats Gray Back not gray Black Oak, Meaning the bark has falling off and is decaying, Or there is standing dead Oak, Meaning what it means Dead.
I have sold Fire wood for many years and have always heated my house for many years. I bought this house in 1993 so I know what burns and what don't.
No I don't burn Green wood, as a primary wood heat source, I don't recommend anybody to do so.
I sell wood that I just cut down the same day. I don't even stack it and will burn the same day I cut it. Dry and ready to go,
you bet your bottom dollar its seasoned wood. I have people calling me back wanting more. This year I sold just over 100 cords. Last year almost 300 cords.
Just dropped off five face cords this week and the neighbor seen what I sold and wanted some too.
I wish I had may camera last night to show what happens when you don't have a fireplace maintenance program.
I am a Volunteer Fireman. We were up till 2:30 in the morning putting out a house fully engulfed.
Yes there is people out there that sell green wood as seasoned but only once. around here you will get a bad name fast

Yes I guess I did misread you post in what "Gray Back' is. I don't think that will fly in this region in offering dead,decaying or punky wood as seasoned firewood. I don't even know or why consumers in your area keeps buying that stuff. When we get a punky or dead log, we just toss the whole log out. Its basically a junk log. Oh well !! I guess there is a difference in what quality firewood is. But anyway, good luck to you.

Last edited:
Who Cares !!

fishhuntcutwood said:
I guess I don't know what we're arguing about. Who cares how long between cutting and selling? It's a matter of how long it's been dead and drying or "seasoning." It can either dry standing as a snag or stacked on the ground. Maybe I'm missing your point.

But yes, you can burn wet wood. In survival school we burned logs we pulled out of a lake. Anything will burn.

I think the consumer cares more than all of us. Don't you think so ??

That "gray back" oak manual has in his pics is great stuff. We have a lot of that at our farm. Standing dead and seasoned. Directly from the woods to the stove. The first 1/2" or so is definitely "punky" or "soft", but very good density further down. Even a little damp, I've had no trouble with it burning long, hot, and clean.

Firewood Guy, have you ever fallen and cut dead standing trees into firewood? Some the hardest, driest firewood I cut is dead standing sugar maple and ironwood (hophorn bean). Standing dead red oak isn't bad either :) Not all dead wood is punky and not all punky wood is dead and the last time I checked every tree I cut into firewood was dead :givebeer:

Firewood Guy USA said:
I think the consumer cares more than all of us. Don't you think so ??

I don't have firewood consumers, and I don't buy any of my wood, so I don't know. I'm not in the habit of falling dead timber (dead trees are dangerous and not worth anything), but I know that all dead standing trees aren't bad or rotten. Some of the fir I'm burning litterally as I type this was a dead blow down. I don't cut for firewood, I just burn slash and nonmerchantable timber. I'm not a firewood guy. I just burn some of what I fall, but it's enough to heat 100% with throughout the winter.

Jeff

I never thought my lil ole question would turn in to four pages of discussions and debates!

I :rockn:

LOL!

MtnBikerChk said:
I never thought my lil ole question would turn in to four pages of discussions and debates!

LOL!

We are Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

You want discussion and debate? Go to the Chainsaw section. Just write:
"My husband and I are thinking of buying our first chainsaw. Is the Poulan Wildthing a good choice? We have a 48" diameter dead tree to take down. It's 8 feet from our house."

MtnBikerChk said:

LOL!

Yes, you are right about your lil olde question, but it may not be over yet. I think its interesting to all on what the other parts of the country is using, offering firewood for sale to the average consumer. I guess there is a big difference in what quality firewood is. I guess it all boils down, for an average consumer, you get what you pay for. And yes, I guess anything will burn eventually from gray back wood to cut up pallots to bags of leaves to even pond soaked logs. That goes to show you, as to a consumers stand point, don't shop for price when you are shopping for firewood, you might get burned. Remember,check out the quality too that you are purchasing.

Same wood, I have been burning all week,
Theres is no foaming or even steaming going on.
that log is solid and puts out great Btu's.
Thats Quality seasoned wood in anybody standards.

Last edited:
Corley5 said:
Firewood Guy, have you ever fallen and cut dead standing trees into firewood? Some the hardest, driest firewood I cut is dead standing sugar maple and ironwood (hophorn bean). Standing dead red oak isn't bad either :) Not all dead wood is punky and not all punky wood is dead and the last time I checked every tree I cut into firewood was dead :givebeer:

Corley is right, if the end product is the same, whats the diff?
Around here there is post oak laying on the ground. The outside half inch or so is rotten, Looks like nothing you would want to burn, but it is perfect firewood.

fishhuntcutwood said:
I don't have firewood consumers, and I don't buy any of my wood, so I don't know. I'm not in the habit of falling dead timber (dead trees are dangerous and not worth anything), but I know that all dead standing trees aren't bad or rotten. Some of the fir I'm burning litterally as I type this was a dead blow down. I don't cut for firewood, I just burn slash and nonmerchantable timber. I'm not a firewood guy. I just burn some of what I fall, but it's enough to heat 100% with throughout the winter.

Jeff

We cut a lot of standing dead alligator juniper around here, it's the very best firewood available, starts easily, smells wonderful, doesn't creosote out the chimney. It doesn't burn as long as oak, but my house gets too hot even in the coldest weather if I put a bunch of oak in. I have a bunch of oak that I cut green that I'm not going to burn until next year. One of the local woodcutters told me that the 17" rounds of oak would take 4 years to dry if I didn't split it (it's might hard to split when green). I find that hard to believe, in this here desert climate, but ?

Corley5 said:

Sure , I cut dead standing trees before. They are usually rotten & punky and are full of ants and insects. But again, as a firewod dealer, I will not sell that garbage around here to the consumers. I know that if I ordered logs and or firewood from a dealer, and he delivered to me this so called dead and or gray back or what ever you want to call it, wood to me, I would tell him to take that sh*t back. I can see why some firewood dealers around the country are selling firewood below cost. Again, I guess you get what you pay for. End of subject !!

I don't understand.:bang: Quite a few folks have posted that dead standing oak, or otherwise, is not always "punky." Maybe a little soft on the first 1/2" or so, but is still very burnable and puts out great BTU's. That doesn't mean it is poor quality or someone is trying to get someone else. They are just observations made from folks who have cut hundreds, and maybe thousands of cords of wood. (I'm only into the mid hundreds myself. I don't sell firewood, just cut for my own use.) I wouldn't even bring home the stuff you are talking about, let alone trying to sell it to someone.

Last edited:
PA Plumber said:
I don't understand.:bang: Quite a few folks have posted that dead standing oak, or otherwise, is not always "punky." Maybe a little soft on the first 1/2" or so, but is still very burnable and puts out great BTU's. That doesn't mean it is poor quality or someone is trying to get someone else. They are just observations made from folks who have cut hundreds, and maybe thousands of cords of wood. (I'm only into the mid hundreds myself. I don't sell firewood, just cut for my own use.) I wouldn't even bring home the stuff you are talking about, let alone trying to sell it to someone.

I also posted my observations too, as well as quite a few other folks did. So what part of that don't you understand !!

Firewood

manual said:
That wood you are showing looks like Aspen. not the best in in the world to burn as a heat sourse. We call that gofer wood. once you get it burning you "go fer " more.
That wood looks dry by the way the bark is falling off and the stains on the ends.

Looks like Balsam to me but, it's pine for sure. Burns fast and hot. Ideal for sitting in front of an occasional fire for the evening or starting the fire for a hardwood burn. Either way it should be split smaller.
Glass doors; depends on the unit, some are tempered glass and some are clear ceramic. Mine you either have them fully open or closed no halfway.
In warmer temps. I leave the doors open and the radiant heat is enough to keep the house plenty warm. In colder Temps. I close the doors and the internal blower and outside air source come into play. Back to the subject; It sounds like a little too much moisture for the size of the splits, Even dead wood still contains some moisture, lots of paper, smaller size to start with.

in respect to the tempered glass or ceramic glass part of that, I replaced a broken pane in my fireplace with tempered glass...BAD IDEA. Finally coughed up the money and bought ceramic. The tempered glass exploded twice after a few heat cycles. Maybe I just burn hotter than some, but I will never put tempered glass in any kind of fireplace again, it is only heat rated to around 450 degrees, as ceramic is rated up to 1200.

I don't understand.:bang:.

You're OK Plumber. Everyone here is on the same page you are, but I think Firewood Guy is just trying to impress upon us how superb and amazing his product is. Good for him. Every one of us here has burned wood we found dead, standing or not, and for sure some that was a little punky and had some critter holes in it. We're just meant to think it's junk and to only burn fresh, bark on, cut live wood.

If he only knew that I've burned madrona I found dead washed up on the beach! I don't make a habit of burning driftwood for obvious reasons, but I'll take solid madrona anytime. He sure wouldn't sell it, but it burns fine for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back