Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honda04

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Do you guys sell pine in your firewood sails? What do u think a fair price for a log truck load would be for all hardwood? How many cords do you think would be on this? Thank you.

I would not suggest selling pine for firewood unless you plan on just throwing in a few finely split peices for kindling. Hardwood is the way to go. A lot of guys around here buy hardwood by the log truck load for about $500. That usually comes out to be about 20 face cords of wood. Firewood can be a demanding and sometimes stressful operation for new guys trying to break into the business, but it is also very satisfying and rewarding. Good luck, and oh ya welcome to the site! You'll like it here.:blob2:

ben14826 maybe you can help me out here. Not really looking to go into the business of selling firewood but am looking for cheap/free source of firewood for fireplace and eventually an insert/woodburning stove. I have been checking out some quotes for bulk uncut and unsplit hardwood but I need help on price and definitions. I have a quote here for $150/cord (8' long under 20" in diameter). First, is that a decent price. Second, assuming above measurements how many cords will that amount to once cut and split? Is there a rule of thumb to dtermine how many cords split and cut from 1 cord uncut and unsplit?

ben14826 maybe you can help me out here. Not really looking to go into the business of selling firewood but am looking for cheap/free source of firewood for fireplace and eventually an insert/woodburning stove. I have been checking out some quotes for bulk uncut and unsplit hardwood but I need help on price and definitions. I have a quote here for $150/cord (8' long under 20" in diameter). First, is that a decent price. Second, assuming above measurements how many cords will that amount to once cut and split? Is there a rule of thumb to dtermine how many cords split and cut from 1 cord uncut and unsplit?

OK I'll do my best here with your questions. First, the best way to get cheap/free firewood if you're willing to cut and split it is from local tree services in your area. Another option is after a logging operation you can ask if you can have the slash that is left over. Eight foot logs should be ideal for you to cut and split if you want to go that route, but that price seems ridiculous. I sell a cord of cut and split for $165. I wouldn't pay more than $75 a cord for logs if I was you. A cord is a cord whether in log form or split. Basically what the guy who gave you the quote is saying is that the wood will be a cord when it is cut split and stacked. A cord is a pile of stacked wood that mesasures 4x4x8, or in other words 128 cubic feet. At 8 feet by 20" it won't take very many logs to get a cord of wood.

That was what I thought. Guess there was a reason I have been sitting on the quote for a few months. Am on a few tree service lists. Unfortunately, it is pretty hit and miss (more miss than hit so far). As for logging operations, not much of that here in SE WI. Appreciate the help and the welcome.

Do you guys sell pine in your firewood sails? What do u think a fair price for a log truck load would be for all hardwood? How many cords do you think would be on this? Thank you.

No pine in your firewood in mass. Elsewhere in the country, but not around here. A typical triaxle load og logs will be 6-8 cords. Prices will vary depending on where you are in relation to the wood. I would expect to pay at least in the $600-$700 range.

Latest posts

Back