First climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackbeard76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Had my first real climb Tuesday. It did't go so well. Didn't fall or anything. Anyways here's what happened. By the time I grabbed a saddle there were two left one with no lanyard and one that would have fit a 12 year old girl. So I got the 12 year olds saddle. I'm just shy of six feet and weigh 265. I got the rope into the tree after several trys. No throw line this class. Wedged myself into the saddle and off I tried to go. We were climbing small white ash about 30ft tall. The one I chose had a slight lean to it.Started hip thrusting and went nowhere. Started spinning. It was craptastic. I got the bright idea to use my arms. Before long I was dog tired. Having a hard time hip thrusting and advancing the knot. My question is this? I only have access to the equipment once a week. I just need some basic advice. I will climb that tree.

Blackbeard, don't mean to sound like a jerk here, but aren't you going to school to be an arborist? Where are the teachers to show you what to do and to show you what you are doing wrong?

How far out on the limb did you have your rope set? I like my rope close to the trunk so I can keep my feet on the trunk when thrusting-helps eliminate spinning. As to why your technique isn't working, since I can't see what you are doing, maybe ask one of the teachers. But you learned an important lesson about climbing as a big guy-whether using spikes or a rope, always climb with your legs, not your arms. Which brings us to the topic of footlocking. Being even bigger than you are, I avoid body thrusting like the plague-there are easier ways to get up a tree. A pantin is a handy little device.

Or you can always follow clearance's advice on how to get up a tree-"just strap on your spikes and your scare strap and walk right up.":D
Good luck.

Other than having a lousy choice of saddles, you shouldn't feel too bad about not mastering the hip thrust technique on the first attempt. Most people I have seen climb for the first time have a similar experience to what you have described which is goes something like flailing about and getting worn out, frustrated, and a little embarassed.

The trick is, watch someone that is demonstrating proper technique. On your end of things, the key is to lean back, almost, but not quite horizontal, thrust your hips and simultaneously pull your rope, hold tension with one hand and slide your knot upward with the other hand (if your using something like a tautline or a blake's hitch). With you being a bigger guy, and depending on what type of knot you are using, you may find that your size can cause the knot to bind quicker and tighter than someone who ways 140lb.

I use the trusty old tautline and have to fiddle with it a little from time to time, but then again, I do weigh between 210 and 215lb.

Just remember......practice, practice, practice, and when you get tired of practicing, practice your knots while you watch TV or take a poop or whatever. Get to where you you don't even have to look at the rope when you are tying the knot and let the muscle memory work for you.

Use the force luke. There is no try, only do!

I heard my name and came running over. Today I climbed a few trees in less than six hours. Actually did ten trees by climbing four and swinging into the others. Two of them were spruces, both at least 140' where I topped them. I think about the spurless crowd often, like can they spurless 400'-500' vertical in a six and a half hour day? Could they do it every day and still take thier dog for a walk after work? Spurless has its place, no doubt, but really now. When you climb with spurs and a steelcore you are secure in the tree always. BTW, I top trees to prevent them blowing over into creeks, thats the job, save the whining.

Ha Ha, wasn't whining clearance. I climb with spikes every day myself. Probably one of the few guys on this site who agrees with you.

Sorry I used your name and put words in your mouth-won't happen again.

Beowulf, you don't whine, you just get the job done the safest, fastest way, "evil" as it is. No harm, no foul, I know you're a good guy.

My teacher tried to help. I guess it's one of those things that you defiantly learn by doing. The rope was set on a branch right against the trunk. I use a blake hitch. I guess my main problem is that it doesn't feel at all smooth or natural.Next Tuesday I'm going to use a better saddle and lean way back. Being thirty years old and watching a nineteen year old shoot up a tree like rocket does a job on the old ego. Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.BTW what is a pantin.

Pantin is some sort of rope ascender. I think you should go to the tree care video section and watch Ekka's "spikeless trunk walking" vid. Its not as easy as he makes it look, but for a big guy its a heck of a lot easier than body thrusting. Lets you use your strongest(leg) muscles instead of wearing out your upper body. Once you get down climbing with a blake's I won't say its easy, but it works pretty well. BTW, I'm no pro, lerning to climb as well. But the Blakes really works well for me.

Climbing class tommorrow. I'm gonna start with the body thrust to start, then switch to trunk walk if they let me. Watched Ekka's video four times. I got the principle of it just chompin at the bit to try it. Bound and determined to climb that tree. I want to thank you guys for giving me all this advice. Ekka you are the man. Thanks for all the info. To be honest I'm really looking forward to chainsaw lab. I know how to do that, not an expert but I'm not totally out of me element. Last question. I know spikes can be damaged using climbing spikes,is it wise to use them if you're only doing a prune job?
What about soft woods,Willow for example. Thanks again guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm psyched for you, Blackbeard. John Paul Sanborn is a big dude. He's about 6-8 and 400 pounds. He was only 320, but he got married last year.

We'll have to invite him over.

What a great time of year to be climbing in Amherst!!! You're a lucky s-o-b.

First time sucks for sure. I would suggest starting an excercise program with plenty of stretching, pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups. This will help out with the stiff muscles and help with the thrusting and footlocking. A lot of guys will tell you that it is mostly leg strength, and it is, but have you ever seen a treeclimber with less-than-jacked arms??? I'm not saying you need to be Mr. Olympia but while you are studying or watching t.v. sit on the floor and
s-t-r-e-t-c-h

Blackbeard76 said:
My teacher tried to help. I guess it's one of those things that you defiantly learn by doing. The rope was set on a branch right against the trunk. I use a blake hitch. I guess my main problem is that it doesn't feel at all smooth or natural.Next Tuesday I'm going to use a better saddle and lean way back. Being thirty years old and watching a nineteen year old shoot up a tree like rocket does a job on the old ego. Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.BTW what is a pantin.

I'm 46---and I cheat. I made myself a set of ascenders (pair of ascenders and some webbing for the leg loops and the upper loop, all tied to a 'biner). That or spikes. Now, moving in the crown of a spreading tree like an oak is still something I'm trying to get better at---especially when the sub-trunks are at all kinds of angles. Usually I just climb around, with a lanyard attached most of the time, until I get to where I need to go. The problem with climbing a line tied at the bottom is you might need a second one to tie in to at the top, unless you can get everywhere you need to off a figure 8 (which I find inconvenient for anything but rappel). I always take a metal core flip line and a short lanyard. Last job, I got the homeowner to untie my line so I could hang it in the top; I don't have a groundman. Guess I'll have to buy another line.

This spurless climbing sounds like a workout, I use my energy on doing the work, not getting there so much. It makes sense to me that climbing with spurs and a steelcore would be so much better for a beginner, because of the positive and secure placement in the tree. I understand the spurless, it would be like when I rappel down or over to another tree or stem and stand on branches, if I didn't have my spurs on. Not a happy thought, I know that spurless is the way, but I believe a man could get used to running a saw and being at hieghts better and safer if he wore spurs to start. Maybe do some easy strip and chunk removals, builds confidence, good luck.

clearance said:
This spurless climbing sounds like a workout, I use my energy on doing the work, not getting there so much. It makes sense to me that climbing with spurs and a steelcore would be so much better for a beginner, because of the positive and secure placement in the tree. I understand the spurless, it would be like when I rappel down or over to another tree or stem and stand on branches, if I didn't have my spurs on. Not a happy thought, I know that spurless is the way, but I believe a man could get used to running a saw and being at hieghts better and safer if he wore spurs to start. Maybe do some easy strip and chunk removals, builds confidence, good luck.

ladies and gentlemen, introducing the new associate professor of R.O.W. tree maintenance at the Stockbridge School of Agriculture...............PROFESSOR CLEARANCE!

OTG BOSTON said:
ladies and gentlemen, introducing the new associate professor of R.O.W. tree maintenance at the Stockbridge School of Agriculture...............PROFESSOR CLEARANCE!
Thank you, thank you very much, I know I get a new 4x4 and an office with a secretary, but how much is my expense account?

Doctor Dave, do you always climb without a groundie? Sounds dangerous to me. I hope you at least take a cell phone so that you can call 911 if something happens to you up in the tree! You know, in case the homeowner isn't there, leaves or disappears for some reason. Be careful man.

So had class yesterday and it went much better. I leaned way back and the body thrusting was a lot easier.Getting my feet even with my head also helped. Weird I get up there and all the knots fly out of my head.Gonna start practcin while upside down.Didn't get high up there but did a little limb walking practiced tieing in. Tore up my hands something fierce. Was a long hour and a half ride back to Worcester

Latest posts

Back