first crappy chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenbudget

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
you know what i'm talking aboot! that first saw that just wouldn't run, had a major fued with some or all of the bolts/screws and kept dropping them no matter what you did to keep them in. stupid oiler would only work while the saw WASN'T running, fuel all over the place...
everybody has had that ONE saw that just didn't like you. and you didn't like it back.
post up that saw that was giving you hemeroids. stil have pics? even better. keep this civil, no actual brand bashing (although it will happen anyways):msp_sleep:

waddya do with/to it?
where is it today?
did it go to another owner where it's been nothing but a fantastic saw after you parted ways with it? never to have any troubles again?
mine was one of them frontier mark I (one of them easter egg abortions). that saw would run fine until it ran out of fuel, then if you still need to run it. it would go from way over rich, to way lean and back from the time you would start and restart. no adjusting, just way rich when you pull the trigger once and way lean the next....
everything that could be checked was checked. torn down built back up and so on... even had a couple of good shops (good friends) take look and a try. nadda. everything was done to find that issue to no avail.
put it up for sale at a garage sale at a friends house, and a neighbor from down the street bought it for a whopping 10 bucks. i was happy to get rid of i and he was happy for the parts for his similar saw. i told him of the issue and he had no problem as he was "only going to use it for parts". the saw was in very good overall shape.....
a couple of weeks laterhe stops by and proceeds to tell me how well the saw runs. not even a whimper, just cut cut cut tank after tank.:angry:
i swore if i ever saw another one of them pos saws again.......:)
i've had a few chainsaw that would make you throw fits. but the problems are usually fairly easy to find and fix. not this one. this one particular saw just didn't like me.:chainsaw:

A handed-down Mac-110. I don't miss that saw one bit.

I just remember the fits it gave when starting, then I had to further massage it by working the oiler. You don't get special treatment when you are the biggest PITA to wake up.:mean:...:msp_tongue:

Fairly certain it went to goodwill....this was before CL and wasn't worth the effort putting it into the newspaper.

I cant resist for the brand bashing. Mine was a Stihl 390. I wasnt much of a cutter then. But In under a year and about 20 hours of cutting the pto side bearing flew apart. Not very impressive.

Thats easy, the first saw I ever owned. Canadian Tire special McCullough, aka PowerMac PM225.

I do admit that it looked nice, and wasn't all that bad when it worked. Then again, aren't they all?

For me it would be a PP4218AVX. The saw actually ran pretty good, until one day, I was trimming some branches, and it would not idle down. I mean I could cut, without hitting the trigger. Figured an air leak, so under the bench it went. Upon actually wanting to figure it out, I discovered the strato butterfly had loosened, and wedged off-center in the bore....creating a MASSIVE lean idle. Apparently, the flimsy shaft that it bolts to, cracked, and the screw loosened, because that is how i found it. .Wish it would have just eaten the screw...at least it would have made some interesting noises, as it tried to chew it up....lol:hmm3grin2orange:

It still sits under the bench.....i tried just blocking the strato port on the intake. It will run, but will not rev.

olympic chainsaw was not mine trigger lock was broken I had to tie something around the trigger it to start it, locked up once broke it lose, keep on flooding it self, I have a 1-43 mcculloch always run but had clutch problems nothing but a headache trying to fix it.

the one that has gave the most trouble well for 3 months now is the 041 farmboss it has gave me trouble since i got it. but it didn't help it none when i left the crank bearing out of it. but i'm on the verge of getting it going in the next few weeks so you all look for a video of it when i get it goin.

the one that has gave the most trouble well for 3 months now is the 041 farmboss it has gave me trouble since i got it. but it didn't help it none when i left the crank bearing out of it. but i'm on the verge of getting it going in the next few weeks so you all look for a video of it when i get it goin.

No reasom fot an 041 to be in a "crappy saw" thread. Replace the parts that are worn or defective due to age. The 041 will growl as good as new.

Bob

No reasom fot an 041 to be in a "crappy saw" thread. Replace the parts that are worn or defective due to age. The 041 will growl as good as new.

Bob

i didn't say the saw was crappy it's just getting on my last nerve . I got the parts i need to fit coming in the next week or so and it should be growling again.

Wouldn't qualify as compltely crappy but I spent tonight reassembling the 029 I picked up last week and it is frustrating to say the least to clean up and resolder the shut off wire for the little copper fitting on the on/off flip switch bar thingy.

I removed the handle assembly and covers to make sure it was well cleaned and check the intake boot and pulse line which were in very good condition.

Husky 44. So many problems I just traded for 100$ towards another saw.

They're known for being small monsters, but the crack seals were gone... Its not worth fixing for a saw that is 30 years old.

Never really had a total crappy chainsaw... had a few crappy women in my time that just didnt perform as well as I would have liked :msp_wink:

1998 Mac 3516

I bought it new from home depot as my first ever chainsaw...it still runs great after I replaced the original fuel lines 2 months ago...was a P.I.T.A. had to split the plastic halves of the saw body to get the lines into the tank.
That said it oozes bar oil from places you wouldnt think have oil to leak and over oils the bar with 5 times more oil than it needs with a 14" bar.
I can't bring myself to give up on it and will prob try to fix it untill it dies...or I run out of beer.:deadhorse:

Any newer homelite owners out there? I know two friends with 42cc models and they beat a hand saw, but Damn those saws are poorrly made.
Guess that's what your $100 bill will buy now a days.:buttkick:

The only crappy saw I ever owned was a Pioneer 500 that had been straight gas seized, by the PO, and left for dead for 15+ years. I got bored and resurrected it even with badly scored piston,pot, bad seals, white death in the tanks. It sorta lived for 3 years till I grabbed it in utter frustration by the pull cord and with 2 fully extended rotations over my head it flew into the bush....dead again.

My little Craftsman 2.0/Poulan 2000. Got it for free. No spark, needed a carb rebuild, bar, and spur. I don't know what I was thinking. Sourced a coil from a generous member here, rebuilt the carb, and it wasn't oiling. :bang: I was ready to introduce it to the loud end of my M4. Thanks again to this site, I was able to find a suitable replacement for the NLA Poulan duckbill valve. Got it oiling, added a new spur, bar, and chain.

Now have the world's most expensive 2.0, but it runs, oils, and cuts like a champ.

Mine would have been one of those tophandled Homelites. I buy one cheap at a flea market. I order an air filter and clean it up and its running fine. Until I put a bar on it and find out the piece on the case that holds the open ended bar in place has been snapped off. I find a carcus with a good case and slide the motor in and can't get that POS running. Tried everything with in reason for a cheap saw.

Mine would have been one of those tophandled Homelites. I buy one cheap at a flea market. I order an air filter and clean it up and its running fine. Until I put a bar on it and find out the piece on the case that holds the open ended bar in place has been snapped off. I find a carcus with a good case and slide the motor in and can't get that POS running. Tried everything with in reason for a cheap saw.

Something around the kill switch maybe?

Latest posts

Back