First Falling - modded 460 video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree Sling'r

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
Stack

Hey guys heres what the filter system looks like, excuse the picture quality. I should note, that if you live in aplace that has a lot of moisture, such as WA, NW Or or any other climate that has lots of moisture, this filter system can be a pain. If it is cold enough the carb will ice up - once it get warm though its fine.

kevinj

kevinj

Whatarya, Goofy?
56K SUCKS !
Over 2.5 hrs. to download a 9 min. 32 sec. clip.
My Proctologist is gonna be PO'd, when he finds out why
I missed my apointment..
But it was worth it...
Please, keep posting.
He's got FAT fingers anyway !! :laugh: :laugh:

FSburt

FSburt

ArboristSite Operative
Nice Technique Slinger

Hey slinger its nice to watch somebody with fast efficient technique. Do you ever think you are going to do any cutting on fires during the summer? Worked on the Pidgeon fire this last summer and saw some big wood getting cut 7ft+ stuff. Any chance you could post some video of you cutting on steep ground with a lumpkin to demonstrate how its done. I have been making some videos for training purposes using different techniques which I will eventually post when I get time. Good job with your introduction and teach us all some of your skills. Thanks.:clap:

beelsr

beelsr

ArboristSite Guru
nice vid. You sound just like my younger brother. sam pitch, pace, inflections, humor. weird....

"don't look to close. you might cut your eyes." HILARIOUS!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Kenskip1

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Slinger, I also enjoyed the video.However,are you able to do a real test on a Hardwood?A rotten pine will make the chips fly with even a stock saw.From the video it appears as if the top of the tree broke in half upon contact with the ground. Dead limbs were evident.I would like to see what your saw is able to do with some Real Hardwood. Like Oak,Beech,Maple, ext.A pine is great to show with but in my opinion this was just a very mild test. I liked the knine companion walking on the blocks.The saw sound fine. What type of petroleum lubrication are you using? (engine oil) Get the rings seated and find a hardwood. I wood really enjoy seeing what this saw is capable of.It looks like wonderful country.I enjoyed it, Ken

Tree Sling'r

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey slinger its nice to watch somebody with fast efficient technique. Do you ever think you are going to do any cutting on fires during the summer? Worked on the Pidgeon fire this last summer and saw some big wood getting cut 7ft+ stuff. Any chance you could post some video of you cutting on steep ground with a lumpkin to demonstrate how its done. I have been making some videos for training purposes using different techniques which I will eventually post when I get time. Good job with your introduction and teach us all some of your skills. Thanks.:clap:

The fire thing is possible. I did my training this last winter - so we'll see. I have a good job - if I leave for a fire it's gone. So like I said we'll see.

heymack

heymack

ArboristSite Lurker
Kewl Vid...nice job!

Couple questions: How long did it take you from start to finish? And did you ever change/sharpen your chain during the process?

Tree Sling'r

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
Slinger, I also enjoyed the video.However,are you able to do a real test on a Hardwood?A rotten pine will make the chips fly with even a stock saw.From the video it appears as if the top of the tree broke in half upon contact with the ground. Dead limbs were evident.I would like to see what your saw is able to do with some Real Hardwood. Like Oak,Beech,Maple, ext.A pine is great to show with but in my opinion this was just a very mild test. I liked the knine companion walking on the blocks.The saw sound fine. What type of petroleum lubrication are you using? (engine oil) Get the rings seated and find a hardwood. I wood really enjoy seeing what this saw is capable of.It looks like wonderful country.I enjoyed it, Ken

First off it was not rotton pine. It was very solid doug fir. The two are night and day. Dead doug fir limbs are hard - very hard.
As far as hardwood, a green black oak, white oak or madrone would have been just as easy if not easier to saw through. Dry would have been a different story. The Realtest is was what I did and do everyday. I cut them, limb them and buck them.
That is the way the saws get run. There is not use for me to make a "cookie cutter" out of it - it's pointless. Serves no purpose for my needs.
As far as mix, it was Husky around 47:1.

Just for the record, Dean, of whom I am great friends with milled my cylinder and piston - he did not build this saw - I build my own after learning most of what I know from him.

Tree Sling'r

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
Kewl Vid...nice job!

Couple questions: How long did it take you from start to finish? And did you ever change/sharpen your chain during the process?

As far as time, don't really know. I cut, limbed -sawed rounds, loaded the pickup, played with dog and was out of there in just over an hour.

Same chain, ground - I always pack three at work - never file. I loose money if try to file. Mainly because I can'y very well and it takes too much time.

klickitatsacket

klickitatsacket

Addicted to ArboristSite
Winlock, Wa. under the shadow of Mt. St. Helens
Jasha did a geat job on this saw. I am chiming in here to explain a few things that many may not know because they do no work in the woods. The saw that Jasha built here is a tricky combination. Not only does it have good torque for felling and bucking but you might also have notices that this saw was very snappy for limbing. this combination is tough to get in the first place but also you have to understand that at the elevation that Jasha is running this saw at; makes it extrememly tough.

Cedarkerf

Cedarkerf

Known to some as....
. AS Supporting Member.
First off it was not rotton pine. It was very solid doug fir. The two are night and day. Dead doug fir limbs are hard - very hard.
As far as hardwood, a green black oak, white oak or madrone would have been just as easy if not easier to saw through. Dry would have been a different story. The Realtest is was what I did and do everyday. I cut them, limb them and buck them.
That is the way the saws get run. There is not use for me to make a "cookie cutter" out of it - it's pointless. Serves no purpose for my needs.
As far as mix, it was Husky around 47:1.

Just for the record, Dean, of whom I am great friends with milled my cylinder and piston - he did not build this saw - I build my own after learning most of what I know from him.

Ditto on the dry doug fir that stuff can chatter your teeth. Its hard strong wood.

dieseldodge

dieseldodge

ArboristSite Member
great job building the saw tree slinger. I thought that dean built the saw for you. Im starting to learn some stuff about building a saw, but no where near that. I just bought a husky 365 last week and Im wondering if I should have bought a stihl 440 instead now. that saw looks, sounds and runs unbelievable. I also really like the look of the reduced weight oregon bar, you really fling that thing for a 32" bar.
jason

keith c raymond

keith c raymond

ArboristSite Operative
I dont know what sounded better,the throuaty idle at the biginning or the revving while limbing,but it was all really good and well done.I think soft or hard would not make a diff with that saw.Almost enough to make me want a Stihl!:dizzy:

smokechase II

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
doug fir solid

kenskip1@verizo:

Doug fir is hard for a softwood.
Dead Dog Fir that hasn't started to rot is equivalent to many hardwoods.

Those of us familiar with that 'red fir' dead are appropriately impressed with how fast he cut that stuff. Technique also, of course.
Look at how he back bared from the off side and knew where his tip was. Not perfectly, but very very close to perfect. You'd a thought he'd done that before.

I've never cut that wood that fast myself. Never had a saw like that. So I'm just mouthing off.
But respectfully mouthing off.

Hardwoods are generally tougher to fall. My opinion, given same terrain.
Mr. Tree Sling'r would not have much of a problem with the wood density. He'd do fine there. It'd be like cutting cold butter.

But, hardwoods, all those limbs to hang up, learning new woods and tendencies. We all learn when we go elsewhere.
So I'm just mouthing off again.

rb_in_va

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
kenskip1@verizo:

Doug fir is hard for a softwood.
Dead Dog Fir that hasn't started to rot is equivalent to many hardwoods.

Those of us familiar with that 'red fir' dead are appropriately impressed with how fast he cut that stuff. Technique also, of course.
Look at how he back bared from the off side and knew where his tip was. Not perfectly, but very very close to perfect. You'd a thought he'd done that before.

I've never cut that wood that fast myself. Never had a saw like that. So I'm just mouthing off.

Hardwoods are generally tougher to fall. My opinion, given same terrain.
Mr. Tree Sling'r would not have much of a problem with the wood density. He'd do fine there. It'd be like cutting cold butter.

But, hardwoods, all those limbs to hang up, learning new woods and tendencies. We all learn when we go elsewhere.
So I'm just mouthing off again.

You respectfully deserve some rep for that!:cheers:

Latest posts