first loop of "pro" chain. what to expect

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone that is halv concious (and halv sober) or better, and have any idea of what they are doing, should be able to use a "yellow" (non-safety) chain without any safety issues. :givebeer:

"Yellow"...

You're showing your stihl colors and don't even know it!

"Yellow"...

You're showing your stihl colors and don't even know it!

Actually Oregon uses Yellow (Danger) and Green (Weak Sauce) in their marketing as well. If you actually read the "Green" warning label it says something along the lines of, "even though this chain has anti kickback features, it can still hurt, or even kill you".

Green means go. The fast chain should be green. Them Germans got it all backwards again. Do they drive on the wrong side like the English?

Anyone that is halv concious (and halv sober) or better, and have any idea of what they are doing, should be able to use a "yellow" (non-safety) chain without any safety issues. :givebeer:

For most of the countries and cultures represented on this site, I'm guessing that may be a challenge Niko :laugh:

BTW, Lilyhammer has started playing on TV here.

I've been keeping an eye out for you, did they get you to drive down from Troms at all for a cameo ? :D

I don't know what "pro" chain means. Chain characteristic's are determined by the cutter design -semi-chisel, full chisel, or square. Square being the most aggressive, quickest cutting, most prone to kickback, and easily dulled. Semi chisel being right the opposite.

There is "Woodland Pro" chain. I use it but have no idea why the "Pro" - no different from any ohter brand as to looks that I can tell.

Harry K

Thanks for all of the info guys! There's enough reading to keep me busy for a while. The b/c showed up today, along with my full wrap chaps, and I already installed the b/c on my saw. I'm a little excited to see how this chain cuts compared to the low kickback chain that I have been using.

Thanks for all of the info guys! There's enough reading to keep me busy for a while. The b/c showed up today, along with my full wrap chaps, and I already installed the b/c on my saw. I'm a little excited to see how this chain cuts compared to the low kickback chain that I have been using.

You may find that there's not a terrible amount of difference between the two. The only thing a "safety" chain typically has are "bumpers" that only actually protrude when the chain is spinning around the radius of your bar tip. For instance, yellow and green Stihl 3/8 Low Pro are exactly the same, except for this one feature.

I have run both on my saw, and the cutting performance is minimally affected, to be honest. Remember, we're dealing with a 3/8 low pro, which is generally used on lower power saws that are inherently easier to handle in the first place.

What a safety chain really only does, is try to minimize kickback if you should, for whatever reason, accidentally bump your bar tip into some wood, while the chain is spinning fast, but not meaning too...

That is it!

So, OP, that is generally it. All of these chains, safety or not, will NOT prevent you from getting more than a close shave should they contact you. They've only made attempts for that chain to have a lesser chance to contact you in really only one condition... Bar tip, high revs, bumps into wood, not paying attention... Kickback.

Noticed a few weeks back, some chainsaw sold at big box stores as "safety chains" (low kickback) and at low prices have about a third less cutters than the standard chains I stock. Didn't really pay attention until one of my customers mentioned that the chain I sold him cut better than the one that came on the saw originallly.

Noticed a few weeks back, some chainsaw sold at big box stores as "safety chains" (low kickback) and at low prices have about a third less cutters than the standard chains I stock. Didn't really pay attention until one of my customers mentioned that the chain I sold him cut better than the one that came on the saw originallly.

Pretty common on smaller saws sold through mass retailers. They use skip tooth chain to sell it with a longer bar than the powerhead would normally be able to pull, making the saw appear 'larger' (e.g. an '18 inch saw' instead of a '16 inch saw').

Because of the additional spacing between the cutters, they need more 'bumpers' to maintain the low-kickback properties.

Philbert

Pretty common on smaller saws sold through mass retailers. They use skip tooth chain to sell it with a longer bar than the powerhead would normally be able to pull, making the saw appear 'larger' (e.g. an '18 inch saw' instead of a '16 inch saw').

Because of the additional spacing between the cutters, they need more 'bumpers' to maintain the low-kickback properties.

Philbert

Philbert,

That was so well explained I just had to "rep" you for it.

So basically you're saying a 20" bar and chain on a 42cc saw is just marketing to the ego?................;)

For most of the countries and cultures represented on this site, I'm guessing that may be a challenge Niko :laugh:

BTW, Lilyhammer has started playing on TV here.

I've been keeping an eye out for you, did they get you to drive down from Troms at all for a cameo ? :D

Little Steven did well in that series, as he usually does! :msp_smile:

Back