First Mulching Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Big Hurt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that is close to the director of the Port Orange YMCA and the director had mentioned to him that he wanted to mulch all the beds in front and around the building with cypress mulch. My friend told him that I did mulch and he told my friend to have me give him a call. I called him and he decided to have me do it. He told me that money wasnt an option as long as I made the place look great so he said that he would let me order as much mulch as I needed to order to do the job so I am pretty much getting to make my own price here. I figured I would start mulching a few small jobs before I really got into it but why pass an opportunity to mulch an entire fitness and recreation building at basically whatever price I want(within reason). I will be sure to post some pics after the job is complete:D

Berry,

just be cautious and update this fellow as you go along. Cyprus is a little steep compared to pine bark or chipper bulk but it'll look good, consistant and last a year longer.

I just hear the alarms when a property owner/manager tells us to "go ahead, whatever the cost."

A complete die-off near here on ten acres found me as the low bid (hourly, when they have the money and I'm not busy with other jobs). The total bids from high-end services were around $20,000. He saw a deal and contracted me, informing he would see to brush and log removal so I would only climb and drop. Turns out his "helper" was his 83 year-old pop who can't hold a chain saw nor a rake and me watching this old guy struggle pretty much had me down on the ground after a few limbs to section and haul to make room for more. Here this guy is spending $45 per hour for my climbing but I spend half of my time doing ground work, so I either reduce my rate or make a mess no one can handle when the time comes. A little math after work today makes it look like I'll overpass the high-end bids in no time so I have to renegotiate this deal - for his benefit.

Keep in communication with this guy while your work piles-up the hours and costs, just to be safe. Glad you got the job though.

You must not have much tree work if you are on a tree site talking about mulch. I burned out on lawns and landscaping 12 years ago, and don't find spreading mulch very exciting. Good work for lawn guys, though. They can have it.

If money is no object (highly unlikely at a 'Y'), then why aren't you bidding TREE work instead of mulch???!!!

Did you ever get that big palm tree job?

Last edited:
Hey I resemble that remark!:D Don't think I'll be burning out on the landscape stuff anytime soon.
Big palm job hhmmmm, you startin' to believe who it is now? !!:blob2:

Just an addition...

I already get my share of tree work around here. I could use more work but thats a whole other story. I need more work and I have heard from a couple of my tree friends that mulching can be lucrative. I decided to make it a part of my business to fill in the time that I dont have work.....like I said I COULD use more work. I am excited to start making extra money doing mulch. this job should pay pretty well.

Latest posts

Back