First new saw in 33 years

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you buy a non cat muffler that will bolt right onto my 5105? Not that I am about to do it tomorrow but if one is available I could get one now and if I chose to I could install it later.
Yeah, the stock muffler that came on the 510 and some on the 5100. It is plain on the front with the non-swirl looking thing on it. I believe the cat doesn't restrict the flow much but it does make the cylinder hotter, or at least that's what the cats usually do.

Ok thanks for the information. I honestly don't know if I want to start right in pulling limiter caps and turning screws though. But might buy one just to have it on hand. Kind of nervous I guess if truth be told that I might not get the tune correct. I'd hate to mess up a brand new saw ha ha.

Since it's a brand new saw it might pay to wait before doing any mods to it if it's got a warranty. The saws I get in are used ones. Also it might matter how long you use the saw each time. I've never run my saws all day like some people do so mine get plenty of cool off time.

Yeah, the stock muffler that came on the 510 and some on the 5100. It is plain on the front with the non-swirl looking thing on it. I believe the cat doesn't restrict the flow much but it does make the cylinder hotter, or at least that's what the cats usually do.

I like the way the swirl looking thing looks. It looks like a mini expansion chamber. I want to figure out how to pull the cat, but keep the "pipe". The 420 was super-easy to get rid of the cat material. I don't think the 5105 is that way.

btw, your forest looks great Jeff Lary!

I like the way the swirl looking thing looks. It looks like a mini expansion chamber. I want to figure out how to pull the cat, but keep the "pipe". The 420 was super-easy to get rid of the cat material. I don't think the 5105 is that way.

If you can find it I think there's a post about gutting the muffler on that saw. It's not real easy unless you have a Tig or Mig welder, I don't have one so I took the easy way..

I saw that post. I don't have tig either, but I think there was another member who just reached in through the back side and pulled all of the cat material out with drill/pliers. That's what I am going to check out first. All I want to do is get rid of the stuff in the disc.

Thanks for the advice and compliments on the lot. I will run a saw for maybe a 1/2 hour the take the trees to the yard then come back maybe a 1/2 later and go again. I will do this from maybe 8am till 1 or 2 pm on Saturday and Sunday as often as weather allows.
The dealer said after about 50 hours I would see a big change in the saws power. He said it takes about that long for everything to seat in. At 3 or 4 hours per weekend I will be a while getting 50 hours on it. I think I will try to keep track of the hours for a while to see if and when I do notice any difference. One good thing he told me that any bars and chains I have on my 5000's or 500's will also fit the Dolmar. I would need to switch sprocket from .325 to 3/8 if I changed bar/chain sizes but I thought that was pretty cool. I like the way the clutch is an "in board" as opposed to my other saws I bet I could change sprockets In 5 minutes or less on the Dolmar. I have heard that they are very smooth to run that the AV is well made and lasts a long time. On my Partners the AV was the weakest point on the saw I think I have changed out many components over the years.

Alberta Canada ,...home of some of the heaviest whitetail deer in the world. I could care less about antlers, they are cool and all but I love a heavy deer.

Since it's a brand new saw it might pay to wait before doing any mods to it if it's got a warranty. The saws I get in are used ones. Also it might matter how long you use the saw each time. I've never run my saws all day like some people do so mine get plenty of cool off time.
Me too I am too old and too fat to work a saw all day every day, course if I did I might not be so fat...

Looks like a nice saw! My neighbor has a 510 that he likes quite a bit, and it will only be nicer with a bit more power from the 5105. I have a loop of that TriLink 0.325 on my Poulan and I like it.

View attachment 619323
Did you hand file that chain Chris? or is that a grinder finish you have there? I free hand in the field and have a Granberg at the shop. Nice looking edge in either case.

50 hrs seems like an awful lot of time to break-in a little 2 stroke??? I'm thinking an hour should be lots. Oh well, I guess I will see. On our moto bikes it takes about 20-30 minutes to reach full power

Did you hand file that chain Chris? or is that a grinder finish you have there? I free hand in the field and have a Granberg at the shop. Nice looking edge in either case.
I hand file most everything using a chain vise in the shop - all of my cutting is on my property and I usually take a spare saw, so I don't file on the saw much. Sometimes just to touch up a couple of cutters.

Having said that when I look at that picture again I figure it must have been the factory edge, as it doesn't look rounded and the depth gauges were not touched. It looks like it's got a strange hook, which is the kind of weird profile I'm used to seeing from the factory from all the manufacturers.

Having said that when I look at that picture again I figure it must have been the factory edge, as it doesn't look rounded and the depth gauges were not touched. It looks like it's got a strange hook, which is the kind of weird profile I'm used to seeing from the factory from all the manufacturers.
You know I have noticed that too. Perhaps is it sharpened a bit more aggressively to give a wow factor when someone throws on a new chain?

I think you will enjoy that saw! I have a couple Partner 5000's and in my opinion they are more "peaky" for lack of better description than my Dolmar 5100. Best comparison I have for my 5100 is Husky 254XP, where the Partner 5000 runs similar to Husky 346XP.
Muffler mod is definitely in order to really waken the saw up, my brother in law just purchased a 5105 and was disappointed running it next to my 5100S. Break in and muff mod should bring it around.
What model Kubota is that? Any more pictures of your bucket set up without the wood, I'm looking for idea's to haul logs with my forks where I can keep them on the forks.

Latest posts

Back