First new saw in 33 years

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Al,
The shop set the tune before I left that day,.. now I am thinking about ordering a 510 muffler just to have it around for later. I still have not run the saw yet, I am planning on spending a little time either tomorrow or Saturday using it. I planned on tomorrow but I just remembered we have a new washer and dryer coming at some point tomorrow. I have to call the store (Lowes) to see when they are coming. I hate to just hang around waiting for a delivery.

Most of the major saw manufacturers have their own brand of oil, like Stihl, Dolmar, and it all works pretty well.
It all likely comes from the same factory - they just slap a different label on the bottle. (for those who hand load :: think Winchester W231 and Hodgdon HP-38 - exactly the same powder, different label on the bottle)

Thanks Al,
I planned on tomorrow but I just remembered we have a new washer and dryer coming at some point tomorrow. I have to call the store (Lowes) to see when they are coming. I hate to just hang around waiting for a delivery.
Hopefully you will have the same good luck I had last week. Supposed to deliver between 1-3 and came an hour early.

On Thursday of last week I bought the Dolmar. I don't know another person who owns one my son said "Dad I am sure you did your research but I never heard of a Dolmar before"
My newest saw other than this is a 1984 Partner 5000 plus so this will be all new to me. I have a 70 acre woodlot that is in Tree Growth so as to help me lower my taxes some. As part of the tree growth plan you have a forester write the plan for harvest and future growth. I have since October been thinning a section of my woodlot ( a sugar bush)and will continue into other areas as have finished up here just after Thanks Giving day.
I had a bad spell the other day with one of my partners, she just refused to restart after running it for a 1/2 hour or so. At that point I said enough is enough I need something that I can run , set it down for ten minutes then pick it up and restart it and go again. I love the old partners but I seem to be spending a lot of time tinkering when I should be cutting ha ha.
This saw is supposed to be very close in power to the 5000 time will tell I guess. I have not run it yet but I will beginning next Saturday. I am taking 2 weeks off to work in the woods I am in a Beach grove now I will be removing red maple, fir, gray birch, some white birch and anything else that is not Beach, Yellow Birch or Rock Maple. Every thing in the photo with tax included, came to $432.95.
He gave me a loop of this tri link chain because I really had no interest in the "safety" chain that came on the saw. I will at some point grind down the "bumper" links and after that I am sure it will be useable. He only asked that I provide him some honest feed back on the Tri Link so I guess I can do that. This dealer has been selling Dolmar for 28 years.View attachment 619304 View attachment 619305 View attachment 619306 View attachment 619307 View attachment 619308 View attachment 619309
That's a great price you got on that saw, I think it's about the same as my 5100 with an extra chain was 9 years ago.
Those aftermarket dawgs look good but you need to put more of that 16" chain in the wood...otherwise it's going to be like a 65 gto with red stripe tigerpaw tires, yer never going to use the power you have.
Congrats on the nice saw.

Hmmm. I will have to look at my 5105’s

I just want the cat material gone. That’s all.

Still haven’t bought the carb adjuster tool.

My 5105 is lean and needs to be richened.

Hmmm. I will have to look at my 5105’s

I just want the cat material gone. That’s all.

Still haven’t bought the carb adjuster tool.

My 5105 is lean and needs to be richened.
Double D tool. I just modded a Dolmar 6100 muffler today. PITA. Those German mufflers are built like tanks.

the ps420 muffler is two unconnected halves which just come apart. Then it take a few minutes (ok, 10 minutes of farting around with a drill and pliers and then a few minutes with a dremel to clean up the edges) to tear all that junk out of the cat and you're done. I saw a post on here (or a thread?) where somebody just reached into the backside of a 5105 muffler with pliers and twisted the junk out of the cat. That will be my first look. I'm pretty sure at least the front of my 5105 muffler is stainless. Never tried a magnet tho...

What possesses us to want to change everything we have ha ha. I really wanted to get out back maybe today but I don't know she's pretty cool here this morning 1* and maybe a 15 mph wind. Storm coming tonight snow then rain? she will have to warm up some to rain.
I tried something new yesterday with my woods roads. I have a section of chain link fence 6' wide by 8' long I hooked that to the Kubota and went for a ride on already packed roads. It made a nice wide pretty flat road. I bet she set up good -n- stiff last night.
I have a couple other places to "tune up" as well as the Beech ridge. I have a large twin stem Elm that did not produce any leaves this summer so she is all do and got to go. Then I have an old apple tree that is getting choked out from Grape vine as big as your wrist, 2-3 more medium sized Elms and various fir maple and ceder that all need to go. I bet I will get over a cord of wood just opening up the area around the apple tree. To say nothing of the cord plus in the twin stem elm. Man I better get the dolmar fired up!!:chainsaw:

Yes it does,.. this is eastern white though not the western aromatic red. I have about 25 acres of Cedar so there is no shortage for sure. The last wood I stacked I put it on Pallets my contractor orders his steel and some of it comes on pallets. In the spring he has oodles of them I can just haul them off.

I only mentioned changing the muffler because I've seen so many Dolmars with piston rings that didn't have any tension and thought the cat. converter was making the cylinder too hot. I'm sure the design of the top cover has a bit to do with it also, I've heard they suffer somewhat from lack of enough air flow.

Yes me too for the most part, I am not going to dive into anything right off the bat.
I just got back in the house been out back opening up a spot to back into with the tractor and winch so I can get to the trees that I want to cut around the apple tree. The temp has roared on up to +8 degrees now. We are supposed to get some more snow over the next few days and I wanted to cut 10-15 small fir and cedars ( 2"-3" diameter each)close to the ground.
Its harder for me having to kick the snow away from the base of a tree so I can get a flush cut. I have had surgery on both knees and they do not like the old sideways snow removal kicking deal. If I do it now I wont have to dig through a foot of snow and ice ( supposed to be a ice storm tomorrow) to get close to the ground.

I learned my lesson a few years back on cutting small trees. I had to cut a couple of small trees to back into a spot I wanted to work in. There was a lot of snow so I just left the stumps 3"-4" tall and cut them at an angle you know what I mean. Anyway I was in a hurry to get in there and get to work but I also knew what one of those basically sharpened stumps would do to my Kubota tire. After being mindful of the 2 or 3 stumps for about an hour or so I forgot where they were under the snow. Then it happened I heard a loud hiss and yep put a 3" stump through the front tire. So now when I know I will be driving around over cut stumps I cut em flush.

I only mentioned changing the muffler because I've seen so many Dolmars with piston rings that didn't have any tension and thought the cat. converter was making the cylinder too hot. I'm sure the design of the top cover has a bit to do with it also, I've heard they suffer somewhat from lack of enough air flow.

I do think I want to get a 510 muffler just to have on hand ya know. When I get ready to buy one where is a good place to get it? or has someone already said that?

Latest posts

Back