First new saw in 33 years

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do think I want to get a 510 muffler just to have on hand ya know. When I get ready to buy one where is a good place to get it? or has someone already said that?
I have a friend who is/was a Dolmar dealer. He used to have a bunch of parts saws but I don't think he has any mufflers left. I asked about them yesterday for a saw I was working on, ended up putting the cat back on that one. I guess ebay is the only place to find a cheap one if you have the time to keep browsing that site..I don't think the Chinese have cloned very many Dolmar parts..
It doesn't have to be a 510, a 5100 will also fit.

I do think I want to get a 510 muffler just to have on hand ya know. When I get ready to buy one where is a good place to get it? or has someone already said that?

When it comes to Dolmar/Makita see @fordf150. I just muff modded a 6100 yesterday. PITA. Those German mufflers are built like tanks.

Read all 5 pages and you haven’t run the darn thing yet. Nice land and tractor setup. Dolmar is next on my list, if I can find a used one cheap.

Ha Ha I am truly sorry to disappoint. I planned on some run time today if the weather will cooperate. We are supposed to get an ice storm today if it warms up some I may still go out for a bit. I have to keep it short though I have to cook for a family Christmas party tonight. I am making an Oyster Stew it is a kind of family tradition I guess. We will all be getting together at my brothers garage tonight about 30 of us. Every family brings at least one main course. We play a game called Sorry, and I drink some wine and slowly become the master of ceremonies.

We’re doing our Christmas for friends here in the shop tonight. No fruity wine for me, beer and bourbon. Have a good Christmas.

Well I used the new Dolmar.
The chain cuts great , well it did till I rocked it 5 minutes into the day ha ha. I tried to snip off a small tree just under the surface of the snow bad idea I hit a rock I guess. That's what you get when your tools are 1/2 mile away and another cut site. Why not right brand new chain 5 min old.

Next the saw well,.. "When it ran that is" it ran very well,.. how's that for a review? I pulled on that saw one time when I first got there it now it had not been started since the day I bought it over a week ago. One pull and it was running , I said boy this is going to be sweet.... That was one of the only positive statements I made while running it.

I cut a big elm and limbed it out and pulled it tree length to the yard. When I came back maybe 10 minutes later I grabbed the saw and one pull and it was running again, I said yes this is the way it should be ! I fell another tree this time a big red maple and during the limbing the saw quit,.. it just shut off. I could not figure out what happened but maybe I thought , just maybe I got the switch caught on my suspenders or a limb and shut it off myself right I mean its a new saw weird stuff might happen. But in my heart I knew I did nothing.
I began to pull the saw over and it like kicked back? kind of about every pull. I say every pull because after 30 -40 pulls I gave up and sat down I was pissed and tired my shoulder was on fire and worn out. Very disappointed to say the least. So I sat there holding this boat anchor and waited till I calmed down some. If this saw was a few years old I would have given up and grabbed my Partner. But it was brand new, so I set it to choke position the pressed down on the switch till it came off choke and went into throttle lock ( half throttle). Then I gave her a pull it started right up but now the pull rope wont go back in? Makes sense right the saw is getting old probably all worn out %**&^%$ thing has two trees on it and all, I can see that.

So I finished up limbing the tree and twitched it to the yard. When I came back I started to take the Partner off the tractor cause I was done with the Dolmar, but I thought "you are doing something wrong you gotta slow down and think" So I went back to the Dolmar and it started right up so I dropped another Elm. I sat the saw down to do something then I went to restart it and it 3 min later the saw would go, " pop pop pop pop,....pop pop pop pop,...pop pop pop pop everytime I pulled it over it was kind of firing but not starting.
So I was all worn out again from tugging on this thing so I sat down again. I was looking at the switch and I went to press down on it just messing around with things a bit and the switch would not move down, it was bottomed out ! Nice the "CHILD" safety lock position was engaged. That is good because I have a whole slew of 3 year old kids around that play with my saws so that safety position is just oh so handy.
So, did I have that thing on safety back the first time it would not start? who knows. So I returned the switch to the run position and pulled her over once and she started right up but again the rope was dangling out the side of the recoil. I got that thing started and I allowed I would not shut it off till I was done so I dropped 7-8 white cedar and finished up the day.

I don't know what to make of the saw but I will say this, I will give it one more day and I will go slow and look closely at what I am doing in regards to the power switch. One more thing I don't like is the chain brake,... maybe I will get used to it but I bet that thing came on ( locked the clutch up) at least 40 times . I have run my partners for 33 years I bet the chain brake has come on by accident maybe 3 times you know a limb get tangled in the handle while working with it or something. But this Dolmar the chain brake is pretty dam sensitive. I will post some photos of todays work now. Then I have to get into the shower and make a stew for tonight. Yes I was raving some but everything I said was 100% true and most likely worse than I just relayed to you.
I put some text into each photo but on this laptop I don't seem to be able to make the font size any larger. Sorry if it is hard to see.IMG_1250.JPG IMG_1261.JPG IMG_1253.JPG IMG_1254.JPG IMG_1257.JPG IMG_1260.JPG

I think some of what you went through is operator error; not to demean your skills, only to say that we all have to learn new tools.

That is excepting the dangling pull rope.

I am not sure yet, but I am doubting that I will ever be impressed by the power of the Dolmar relative to my Jonny 590. I hope they will feel similar. That’s how good the old partner 5000 is.

Newer chainbrakes are designed to be easy to activate. You’ll get used to that. Sounds like a body position thing to me. Try to keep your left arm straight.

I hooked the pull-handle with my left arm a few times while limbing with my new Dolmar. The saw is fat and not as rolly as my Jonny. The starter side is fat, more so than anything. The crankcase is normal-size for a 50cc saw.

That easy start is slick. Once warm, you can pull the cord out as slow as you want and the saw will magically start. Don’t pull it out like your 5000. The pull is way different than your partner, which takes a good, short hard pull.

Sounds like your saw could have been flooded?? And you ripped the crap out of the spring-loaded easy start??

I think some of what you went through is operator error; not to demean your skills, only to say that we all have to learn new tools.

That is excepting the dangling pull rope.

I am not sure yet, but I am doubting that I will ever be impressed by the power of the Dolmar relative to my Jonny 590. I hope they will feel similar. That’s how good the old partner 5000 is.

Newer chainbrakes are designed to be easy to activate. You’ll get used to that. Sounds like a body position thing to me. Try to keep your left arm straight.

I hooked the pull-handle with my left arm a few times while limbing with my new Dolmar. The saw is fat and not as rolly as my Jonny. The starter side is fat, more so than anything. The crankcase is normal-size for a 50cc saw.

That easy start is slick. Once warm, you can pull the cord out as slow as you want and the saw will magically start. Don’t pull it out like your 5000. The pull is way different than your partner, which takes a good, short hard pull.

Sounds like your saw could have been flooded?? And you ripped the crap out of the spring-loaded easy start??

Operator error aye... More likely than caused by the saw.

Chain Brakes...Yes I think in time this will be a very good thing I just have to get used to it.

The whole Pull cord / Easy Start thing.... Oh yea baby I ripped that thing like I was trying to throw $100 dollars bills out of a swirling toilet ! No mercy given I am quite sure. It has never been explained to me exactly how to use the easy start feature. To me starting a saw equals yank hard fast and often till it runs or I toss it into the woods and grab another victim!

Thanks for the advice on the pull start so is she ruined now? the recoil I mean??

I just now picked it up in the shed and tried to start it. I choked it and pulled it 3-4 times till it popped. So after it did I shut the choke off and pulled again, it started and was on half throttle so I let it run for maybe 4-5 seconds then I blipped the trigger and it went to " normal idle". It only ran about 3-4 seconds and stalled, then I pulled it 10 -15 times and no more pop.
So I reset the throttle to the lock position and it started up again but as soon as I blip the throttle is begins to stumble then stall. When I try to catch it with the throttle it just hogs up and quits. I think maybe the idle is not set up high enough possibly?

With my saws when warming them up I can flip on the choke on very quickly then off again to "catch the saw before it stalls". As far as the recoil goes, I would like to hear from someone who can explain to me how I am supposed to pull the recoil ( know how stupid that sounds). Do I just pull it for one crankshaft rotation at a time?? or do I yank it over like any other saw fast and hard till it starts? I don't get / understand how this easy start works I guess. In my Dolmar novice opinion this saw pulls over very hard. My partners have 175# to 185# of compression I find it hard to believe that this saw has more compression than that, to account for the hard pull over.

I don't know anything about easy start but my 5100 has 200#+ compression and if you don't throw it down like you mean it your going to get your knuckles beat when it yo yo's back up.

If the easy start is like the 421 it is not about momentum or speed. It more like distance pulled. If the saw is warm it will fire pulling the recoil 6 to 8 inches as slowly as possibly. Not wise to try while the saw is resting on your legs.

J W, well maybe then? maybe it is a compression thing.

WooHoo as slowly as possible hua? well I can definitely give that a try. That is really way different than any thing I have ever done before for sure. Thank you both for your responses.

Latest posts

Back