First new saw in 33 years

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went out to the shop again I mounted a 13/64th file in the Granberg and sharpened her up some, then tried to start it once more . The first thing I did though, was turned the idle screw in about a 1/4 turn. So this time I pulled slow and short maybe 1-2 crank revolutions maybe a foot of rope. After 2-3 on choke it fired then I shut the choke off and slow pulled it again. It started and I kept blipping the throttle to keep it running. The I restarted it 6-7 more times I think I will just have to give it time to see if it is the saw or me causing the starting issues.

I just went out to the shop again I mounted a 13/64th file in the Granberg and sharpened her up some, then tried to start it once more . The first thing I did though, was turned the idle screw in about a 1/4 turn. So this time I pulled slow and short maybe 1-2 crank revolutions maybe a foot of rope. After 2-3 on choke it fired then I shut the choke off and slow pulled it again. It started and I kept blipping the throttle to keep it running. The I restarted it 6-7 more times I think I will just have to give it time to see if it is the saw or me causing the starting issues.
Re check that file size, .325 chain should be 3/16 file.

Easy start means that you don't have to set the purse down before starting,:D. I suck at diagnosing problems without being there so I most likely won't be much help. Fortunately many people better suited visit. So hopefully the right help will show. Maybe the best thing for you would be to take the dealer. It's a new Dolmar saw. I would expect at least a decade of reliable service. You just gave it a shakedown run, it is not acceptable as is. Makita will make it right, a good dealer will step up to the plate and bat for YOU. Give them a chance.
Now saying that, to me it seems probable that your saw is running lean. Is it possible that when you went all 200 pound guerrilla something broke in the recoil housing. I've had similar event take out a flywheel side seal, broken starter pawl on a 372. I personally would take the clutch cover and recoil housing off and check to see how free the engine turns over, verifing that there is nothing catching in the clutch or flywheel. Chain brake engaged?,lol.
Seriously if I suspected anything wrong with a brand new saw with a warranty I would be taking advantage of it. It's allready paid for. I adopt saws going to scrap and rebuild them, I also buy new ones. I wouldn't want to repair a warrantied saw myself is all.
Merry Christmass

It's just something I read about and thought I would give it a try. I don't even know who did the writing now, the theory I guess was that it provided a small amount more of cutting surface and better chip clearance I think? Anyway they went on to say that most saw shops stock the 13/64 file for just this purpose and I should try it to see what I thought.
I have no analytical study's to prove it one way or the other but I feel the saw cuts smother,.. faster who knows?? but I think the 13/64th file fills the tooth gullet a little more completely. It's just the saw-filer in me I guess. I always tried different things to make the Band Saws / Sash Gangs at the mill to run longer and increase production. It's just a glitch in my make up I suppose.

OK, wasn't sure if it changed how the saw would cut for you. I have not had any success using a larger file. Never felt right when cutting, always needed pressure or was rough. by the way I broke my professional lurking on AS just to help keep this thread to the top for the holiday, giving the regulars chance to see this over the next few days,lol. Hard to give up on a Dolmar.

I'll tell you when felling that saw really cut well I just hope I can overcome the issues I had the other day. I have the next 2 weeks off so if all goes well I want to work it a lot. The weather this coming week looks very cold single digits a few days as the high.

Is that Ash in the woodpile ? How did you get the chain square filed? did you do it yourself with a hand file or a grinder. I would like one square filed myself maybe a 3/8 on a 20" bar maybe a 3/16 on a 20" or on a 16".

Merry Christmas everyone,
We are waiting for my Son Daughter in law and their family to come over ( a short walk across the lawn ) to have our tree with them this morning. They have 3 kids a girl that's 11 and 2 sons one is 7 the other is 2, it's gonna be a wild morning for sure!
Then we are going to my mother in laws for dinner at Noon about 30 miles away. It is snowing sideways here supposed to get over a foot and it's 12* out there. I would rather put my junk in a vice and let my sworn enemy crank the handle than drive down there today but what are you going to do. It is Christmas after all.

Is that Ash in the woodpile ? How did you get the chain square filed? did you do it yourself with a hand file or a grinder. I would like one square filed myself maybe a 3/8 on a 20" bar maybe a 3/16 on a 20" or on a 16".
Mostly oak and hickory,I see a stick of hickory under the saw.
I square filed chain myself, wish u could buy.325 factory square ground, it sure is smooth in the small stuff.
Merry Christmas everybody.

so is a factory full chisel I assume? I just hate the thought of ruining a new chain if I mess it up. I guess I could take a mostly worn chain and practice at some point. Where did you get your file? Is that one of the "goofy" files? I think I have seen them at the Oregon site. I imagine that they must also be available at some stores.

so is a factory full chisel I assume? I just hate the thought of ruining a new chain if I mess it up. I guess I could take a mostly worn chain and practice at some point. Where did you get your file? Is that one of the "goofy" files? I think I have seen them at the Oregon site. I imagine that they must also be available at some stores.
I use the double bevel file, the ones I have now are save edge..the goofy might be easier for some to learn on...
the double bevel worked better for me.

I ran the saw some more yesterday it was not much,.. but some. I spent most of my time in the woods opening up my woods roads we got a foot of snow Christmas day. It is hard to get around with the tractor if I don't have good roads to start with.

So anyway the Dolmar started on the first pull after sitting in the unheated shed for 3 days. Pretty amazing really. It started then of course before I could shut off the choke it stalled out. Then I shut off the choke and it went to the throttle lock position. It started right up again and I blipped the throttle to click it off high idle. I did let it run about 10 seconds on the high idel side first I don't know if that is long enough or not? maybe not.

Before I could get to the throttle to "blip" it to keep it running and it stalled again. Then it took 6-8 pulls to get it running again and when it did start I had to keep "blipping" the throttle for over a minute maybe to keep it running. After that it ran fine,.. well actually and I was pleased with it.

This morning I called the dealer and spoke with someone there and told them about how it starts. He basically said that is not the way it should be and he felt it may be starving for fuel. He told me to bring it over as soon as I could and they would look it over. I told him that I would but that I had taken some time off work to work in my woodlot. That I would but, I want to run it if I can because a trip back to the dealer will take a few hours round trip and I bought the saw to use while I am off. He said yea no problem and when I am in the area to stop by and I told him I would.

When the temp gets up a little more I will head out back again today right now it's 7* I kind of like it to be 15* or more before I head out. I will run her some more and try to keep an eye on the starting pattern if there is one.

Glad to hear your bringing it back to get checked out. Another possible cause of those problems would be if the flywheel moved and the saw is out of time. That can be hard to diagnose but easy to check.

Latest posts

Back