First pro saw 550xp!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberdonkey_059

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Broke down and bought my first new pro saw, a 550xp. Going to be using this saw heavily for firewood but also some clearing on the property I just bought. I immediately had the drive switched over to 3/8" and Im running the Husqvarna 20" bar with a loop of Husqvarna H47 on it. I already want to do the muffler mod but im guessing that will void my warranty even though I just spent the extra money on their bs premixed fuel to get the extra 2 years? Any other suggestions from you guys on my set up?

Thanks in advanced!

Yes, but a 20 bar and 3/8 isn't really.

lol! Yeah, you need at least a 50hp engine to run anything over a 16" bar right? ;P Hey, if you need the bar length for a massive tree, you can do a 36 inch bar on a Husq 240 and hire a monkey to dribble chain oil on it for the 2 1/2 hours it takes to make the cut if need be. :D
Is it a good idea? Nope! But, the extra reach can save your bacon, even if it's not optimal efficiency.

Yeah it came with the 20" bar regardless of what drive I went with. 20" is all they had in stock to fit it. But I do have the .325 drive ring and could easily swap it right back.

So sawtroll if that's not what you would suggest let's hear what you would.

I would agree with Sawtroll and put that .325 bar and sprocket right back on. Personally I don't put 3/8 on anything smaller than a 60cc saw. My 550XP absolutely flies with an 18" .325 but it feels like there's really not enough torque left over for a bigger chain.

Either way enjoy that saw and I found that it takes maybe 10-15 tanks for it to really find it's groove. Also follow the warm start procedure they specify, I had never run a saw where starting it warm on high idle makes such a difference.

Broke down and bought my first new pro saw, a 550xp. Going to be using this saw heavily for firewood but also some clearing on the property I just bought. I immediately had the drive switched over to 3/8" and Im running the Husqvarna 20" bar with a loop of Husqvarna H47 on it. I already want to do the muffler mod but im guessing that will void my warranty even though I just spent the extra money on their bs premixed fuel to get the extra 2 years? Any other suggestions from you guys on my set up?

Thanks in advanced!
Just ran a Mastermind 550xp at Ebel's and it's a monster of a little saw.

Thanks yepper

Kenjax what are you running for a bar and chain?

Duce, is a mastermind saw ported a mm by him?

That's what I was hoping for! From what I read before buying the saw I figured it wouldn't and I prefer the 3/8 because of my other saw running that as well

Thanks yepper

Kenjax what are you running for a bar and chain?

Duce, is a mastermind saw ported a mm by him?
They sent the 550xp out to mastermind and had it work ported. I have a 562xp and it has me thinking, I might need that done to mine.

Suprised to see how many people on here are from michigan. That's where I'm from and it will always be home! Hopefully make my way back someday

I'm from Middleton, between Mt pleasant and Lansing.
Also have a cabin in Roscommon.

mesupra yes i am very interested!

Latest posts

Back