First proj from CSM milled wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithie55

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wanted to share with like minded folks.
The top is maple, not sure what type
The legs and lower shelf are Pacific Broadleaf Maple
Top is 32"X18"X2" ruffly
Any opinions or creative critcizms would be appreciated.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think the best compliment I can give is letting you know that I like it so much that I plan on copying that! Very cool!

I believe that my first project is going to be a bat box from cedar. Just have to find a good set of plans that isn't beyond my skill level.

an

You got some nice rays coming out of that maple. What type or finish is that? How did you attach the legs. Nice piece, I have a similar piece of maple I'll post when I get some legs on it. I also have a yellow birch crotch I have to get some legs on. Good to hear from you Smithie. What's the latest on the cabin? Mine is on hold for a while. I was up there two weekends ago and milled up a white pine for roofing. But my gf bought a cottage half the distance and that has me tied up pretty good right now.

You got some nice rays coming out of that maple. What type or finish is that? How did you attach the legs.

adrpk and I must think alike, as those are the same questions I had, especially how did you attach the legs. Beautiful piece, nice job. That's the kind of piece I like to put in my living room, if only so I can constantly look at the unique grain patterns.

Thanks ya'll you'd tell if it stunk wouldn't ya?

The legs are screwed along with carpenter's or builders adhesive to the top.
The legs are notched to accept the bottom shelf and are also screwed and carpenter's glue.
I agree Woodshop & Adrpk, I find myself just staring at the top.
I sanded the wood with 150, 320, and 000 steel wool, then applied colonial maple stain. I haven't decided on the final top coat, whether to apply several hand rubbed coats of linseed oil, or several layers of hand rubbed varnish.
Any ideas?
Also what do you think a piece like this would fetch?
Adrpk, I have been busy building a small work shop. Also just bought a Dewalt 13" planer and a 6 1/8" jointer.

The legs are screwed along with carpenter's or builders adhesive to the top.
The legs are notched to accept the bottom shelf and are also screwed and carpenter's glue.
I agree Woodshop & Adrpk, I find myself just staring at the top.
I sanded the wood with 150, 320, and 000 steel wool, then applied colonial maple stain. I haven't decided on the final top coat, whether to apply several hand rubbed coats of linseed oil, or several layers of hand rubbed varnish.
Any ideas?
Also what do you think a piece like this would fetch?
Adrpk, I have been busy building a small work shop. Also just bought a Dewalt 13" planer and a 6 1/8" jointer.

I have had great results with Waterlox which is a tung oil / varnish blend. It penetrates well and brings out the grain nicely.

I typically apply 2 coats of it and top that with 2 or 3 more coats of wipe on poly, wet sanding (with the poly) before all but the last coat. I switch to wipe on poly because the oil has already done it's job and the poly is about 10 per quart cheaper.

I did a cherry bench once with poly but didn't get along with the shine. So I sanded it off and went through the sanding a steel wool again. Also used 400 wet sandpaper time and time again. I am thinking the poly is still in the cracks but later finished it with tung oil. now it has a nice glow to it. Not shinny, just a low luster glow. The thing I like about this finish is I can go back and reapply tung oil to refresh the finish.

I did a cherry bench once with poly but didn't get along with the shine. So I sanded it off and went through the sanding a steel wool again. Also used 400 wet sandpaper time and time again. I am thinking the poly is still in the cracks but later finished it with tung oil. now it has a nice glow to it. Not shinny, just a low luster glow. The thing I like about this finish is I can go back and reapply tung oil to refresh the finish.

Were you using gloss? I use satin because I don't care for the shine either.

Latest posts

Back