First Sachs Dolmar rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andosca

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My wife's grandfather died recently, he was a Sachs Dolmar dealer back in the 80's. My father in law brought by a few saws he found at the house. I've never run or worked on one of these before but it looked like between the two there was enough to make one running saw. I haven't done much but clean them up and try to identify them so far. It doesn't help much that they've probably been bastardized already but I've been looking at IPLs for a while to check for parts compatability and I am some confused. One says 116 on the gas tank label with some info and has what appears to be a good 45mm P&C(one ring). Matches with what I've found except it has a Walbro HDA 22 which I think the IPL said was on a 112. The other saw has no lable but says 120 on the starter. It had no jug and a scored to hell piston that looks like 47mm with two rings. It has the ignition behind the flywheel(points?) which as far as I can tell makes it a 117, 119 or 120, this is the only useable crankcase because there's only one starter and it fits this flywheel and not the other. I'm also having a hard time finding stroke numbers for all possible models I may have here. I'm used to husky's and they seem simpler as far as compatability, are there any rules of thumb here that I may need to know? They seem like good saws and it would be a nice homage to the departed to ressurect this thing. As always, thanks for the help.

The P/C from the 116 should readily bolt on to the 120 chassis. AS far as carbs, any number of them should bolt up. If the outer shell, top cover, etc is all there, you are in business. Try the Sachs-Dolmar thread, many more knowledgeable than me there to get you through.

Thanks, I'll try the Dolmar thread. It lines up alright I just wasn't sure if the bottom end was the same. That's the biggest problem i'm having I guess is figuring out what tops will go on what bottoms and I'm still not sure what models they are to begin with.

Well I don't know what it is yet but it runs. It takes a while to idle down after you open up the throttle but I haven't touched the carb so I suspect a new kit may cure that. Cuts great, just needs bucking spikes and the muffler has a crack in it and doesn't quite line up right because the cylinder's smaller I think. The port matches up but it doesn't sit right, I think I just need a few gaskets.

Sachs-Dolmar models

Look at the metal tag riveted along the bottom edge of the saw. It should be the safest way to get the model # and serial #. The covers typically fit a bunch of different models in the same series.

Where exactly? I had both of them completely apart and didn't see anything but a sticker on the handle of the gas tank that said 116 and some info but no serial number, it had a 45mm p&c. The other has 120 covers and had a 47mm piston. Crank and rod must have been the same cause it runs fine. They're probably early 80's models if that makes a difference.

Where exactly? I had both of them completely apart and didn't see anything but a sticker on the handle of the gas tank that said 116 and some info but no serial number, it had a 45mm p&c. The other has 120 covers and had a 47mm piston. Crank and rod must have been the same cause it runs fine. They're probably early 80's models if that makes a difference.

Metal rear handles or plastic?

Serial number stamped near the muffler, top side of the bar mount on my 117.

Thanks. So it is a 120 now with a 116 top end......maybe. Whatever it is I need more of these old Dolmars. There was a starter for a 133 or 153, maybe the rest of it will turn up. Looks like I have a few 116 parts if anyone is looking.

I've bucked up a few logs with this saw and I'm really impressed. This thing blows away other stihl and husky saws I've run in the same class(034 and 359). So how do newer dolmars stack up because I'm just about converted? Also, I have a good 120 cylinder that was part of the scrap pile I made this saw out of, would it be worth it to buy the aftermarket piston to gain another 4 or 5cc and make it a true 120? I'm not sure the walbro carb will bolt on to that intake though.

I've bucked up a few logs with this saw and I'm really impressed. This thing blows away other stihl and husky saws I've run in the same class(034 and 359). So how do newer dolmars stack up because I'm just about converted? Also, I have a good 120 cylinder that was part of the scrap pile I made this saw out of, would it be worth it to buy the aftermarket piston to gain another 4 or 5cc and make it a true 120? I'm not sure the walbro carb will bolt on to that intake though.

I'd bet it would. Make sure you have an air filter and top cover. I would find another bottom end and ignition first. 120's and 116's seem to be the popular sizes, 117, 119 are the rarer birds of the flock.
Newer Dolmars are good saws, 7900 is the same chassis as 6400 and up, only ran a 7900, nice smooth saw.

I guess it doesn't matter, my fil wants the saw now but I get an 028 that probably just needs a carb kit and some fuel line for rebuilding the sachs.

Back