first saw you ever rebuilt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up an 024 that was in a junk heap with other stuff about to go to scrap. After doing a search on this site I realized the saw was worth rebuilding.
So after a few days reading and asking I ordered from Baileys and rebuilt the top end. Saw runs great but have not had a chance to cut with it yet.
Thanks again to those who gave me info.:)
bob

A rebuild to me is when you split the crankcase, my first one was a 076, the crank had to be replaced, I also put new bearings and seals in it. It was a real education to me, didn't have near the knowlege or tools like I do now, nor was there anyplace like AS to get some help, I still have the saw, we use it for ripping down big pieces of wood so we can split them with the splitter so we don't have to wrestle them around.

Did the same thing to a 026 about two years ago, new bearings, seals, piston and cylinder. Only this time I was armed with more knowledge from being here on AS and have better tools, it wasn't easy but went much smoother for disassembly and putting it back together. Saw is a good runner.

It would have to be a really good model saw that I was going to keep for me to get that deep into repairing a saw. I can see why it is cheaper and easier to just go buy another saw especially if you can't get a deal on parts and couldn't do the work yourself.

Larry

First piston replacement many years ago was on a Poulan s25da, muffler screw came loose inside and tore up the piston. Complete rebuild, case, seals and bearing was a stihl 034 that I picked up at a yard sale. That was a cool feeling when it fired up the first time. I usually put a light coating of grease on the piston walls after a rebuild and love the smell of it burning off the first time a rebuild comes to life. :)

O11avt... Grrr...

The quickly a bunch of 26/024s... It was just going to be one, but then I had to buy more donor saws, and then more got put back togther and that required more donor saws, and...

Been a few years, I think it was an 031, no manuals, no service tools, we were a sevicing Stihl dealer:censored: , took me three days, it was waranty, I think it was a $1200 parts and labor total. Manager ripped my butt, "For that kind of money we should have just given him a new one, would have been cheaper!!" I told him to buy some :censored: manuals and invest in some :censored: tools, or shut the :censored: up!!!! I didn't work there long:greenchainsaw:
Andy

:ices_rofl: I'd give you rep for that, but it won't let me!

Reminds me a time when I went to a fairly large Stihl dealer to either borrow or get them to pull out a very tight seal in an 026 (flywheel side).. I got a "are you stupid" look... "if the seals are shot, the the saws not worth fixing... "... "and in any case, we don't have those tools"... Gheezz....

first rebuilt saw

First rebuilt saw was a husky 55 rancher, cheap saw so didnt care if the saw went to he11. Runs very well now.

011AVT.....in the middle of now
If I could just get them damn bearings to stay in place....
My fingers are just to big.

And I agree.GGRRRRRRR!!!!!

my first rebuild was a husky 181se. installed new rings and a carb kit. ran that baby for 5 years then rebuilt it again with a 288 piston/cyl. became one of my first woods port saws. traded it to dean while i worked for him.. i still miss that saw!

A Super XL was the first. Still use it. The next was a C-5 followed by a Pioneer Holliday. Still use those too. They all belonged to my grandfather, kinda like part of the family. That old SXL has seen many hard days and I honestly don't see how it still continues to operate right beside new machines week in and week out.:)

Poulan Super 68

This is the first saw that I rebuilt. I replaced the crank, crank bearings-seals, connecting rod, rod bearings, piston, piston rings,cylinder, reduction drive gears-bearings, and carb. Well after all those parts it turned out to be a good saw, and is a timber brute.

begleytree said:
highsierra's thread got me thinking about this
what was the first one you ever did?
everyone remembers doing all that work and the smile when it fires to life!

my first rebuild was a stihl 028wb
-Ralph

I've had my Homie 150 completely disassembled once, and half way twice. Been fairly deep in the 066 and the Wards/Mono. My next saw will probably be a Home Depot Makita 6401 that gets 7900'd. However, I would still like to come across an 044/046/372 that I could do bad things to. Not that I need any one of them, but, the Super XL is getting old and could fail at any time...I"m not holding my breath, but that's what I tell the wife..."Its a 30 year old saw"...

Mark

Got 49sp Working

I am the original owner of a 49SP. It ran great until a year ago when it just bogged and stopped. I've been reading this site getting ideas for a new saw. After reading some of the 49SP posts, I got ambitious and tore the saw apart again. I did the usual by rebuilding the carb, checking the copmpression, cyclinder, rings, etc. and all looked good, but the saw woudln't run past 25% RPM. I thought its either getting starved for gas (I cleaned the filter but it wasn't bad), or the exhaust is plugged. this is probably a known issue with most of you, but...
spark arrestor was plugged shut. Cleaned and runs like a new saw.:

Great stories and thanks for the ideas.
Doug
:blob2:

Last edited:
Stihl 090 Bad Boy with a 36" bar

I was clearing some acreage in Washington and had to get rid of 50 old growth fir stumps that averaged 10' across. Third day into quartering these monsters my fuel line developed a leak and leaned out the old monster. Burned it up and rebuilt it that night and was back at 'em the next day.

Amazing smell came out of those awesome old trees. When we got big excavator out to pull out the root we found some 6' across tap roots that went down 20'!

Latest posts

Back