First Time Clearing - Could use Some Advice / Direction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree the others-cut it all, drag it to a staging area(s), and pile the logs. You mentioned your brother could bring a skid steer. My suggestion would be to see if your brother could set a day or 2 to help you. I'm assuming he has a heavy built trailer and truck to pull it, maybe you could rent it. You should be able to haul good sized loads on that. Load the logs with the skid steer and a grapple bucket or forks if available. You could have your tractor at home to unload. When you get to the last trailer load of wood you could go back, burn the brush, and toss the last load on by hand. You may have to call off work for a day, but you can definitely move a lot of wood in a hurry this way. Maybe your wife or a friend could run your truck/trailer to speed things up. A couple friends/helpers at this point are worth their weight in gold.
Here's how we did it a couple years ago- I stayed at the woods with the skidsteer. Between loads I bucked, staged, limbed/brushed, and burned. My buddy and my wife each hauled, 70 mile round trip every 2 hours for 14 hours straight. My step son unloaded at home with FEL.

I admire your work ethic and stick-to-it attitude for sure.:bowdown:
I'm only about 25 miles from you. Geneva. Top of the middle finger of the lakes. :msp_tongue:
Kinda' jammed up myself right now timewise with work and all but I'll make a few phone calls to fellow woodburners for ya'. If you'd be willing to swap wood for work I might be able to help you out, and a couple more pairs of experienced hands and eyes could make a big difference in a weekend of work. Shoot me a PM with a phone number and I'll see if I can help.

Mark

All you can do is go in and cut when it is wet, go back and hump it out when dry. I do that here, I have wood down but WAY too muddy to tractor in and drag wood out. I can do it, but seeing as how I am also the guy who mows the fields, that would be me trying to mow over those knee deep or worse rock hard ruts later in the summer..and some I cant get real close to even when dry, gonna have to come up with a big winch thing to get the logs out....more projects...

The homeowner will just have to be more flexible, it just has to be made clear, he wants you to speed it up, so you went in hock for a tractor (which is way cool!!), but now cant use the tractor??? Almost time to walk away from that job, but I also understand you need to recoup enough to pay for your new gear, so you cant. Or you can use the tractor but not right up to the yard and lawn? If that is the case, like the others suggest, leave the tractor there, walk in, go cut and drag, yard it up as close as possible before the no rut zone begins, then go for it when dry and get the logs home then.

See if you can set it up so at least you can load out in the dark and do double trips once you have logs ready to load. See the thread on show us your work lights...

I think the job outmatched your equipment and available time. Scavenging free wood is one thing, land clearing for someone else is an entirely different animal. The only winner in this scheme is the landowner who has avoided having to pay someone to do the work you have provided for free. There is a reason why loggers didn't want the job and your return on investment has shown why. You have learned an expensive lesson but I do admire your work ethic.

A lot of great responses... I have a hard time keeping up. I greatly appreciate it.
I agree with nathon 918,

I'd drop the trees, cut off the brush and leave in woods, drag to the edge of the wood, buck up rounds and hand toss into trailer and truck since you are splitting someplace else. If you can get the truck/trailer to the tree, even better. I'd forget about the small arm wood and chuck it in the burn pile. The winch looks neat but must take way too much time.

That's another thing... I've been, for the most part, taking all wood home down to about 2.5" - 3" in diameter. I just have a hard time letting the wood go to waste.

The winch is more for bringing logs in closer for lifting than picking up logs - the jack is used for that portion. It actually doesn't go too bad if the logs are relatively lined up / staged for pickup.

Perhaps a meeting with the both of you in order to mark all the remaining trees to be removed, keeping access to the landing in mind...?

Are the adjacent RR tracks functional and if so, are they in regular or infrequent use?

Well there's a little more to the story about marking the trees. The actual owner of the property lives in NC. She only comes up every few months to visit family. Her son is who I have been dealing with. I've tried getting him to mark everything, but he seems pretty adamant about marking, clearing, then marking more. I believe his mother with walk with him and give some guidance as to what she would like to see. For free wood... I'm not going to argue too much about it.

Since I've been working there I haven't seen a train go by. There may be enough width for me to drive the 1/4 mile or so down the tracks to the back of the property - just not sure of the legality of doing that though. Also, it's a classic raised railroad bed that mounds up to the tracks... maybe 6' rise or so??? I might be able to get the truck down, but doubtful if I could get it back out. Might be able to back the tractor up the bank. I will look at it in person today after work.

I agree the others-cut it all, drag it to a staging area(s), and pile the logs. You mentioned your brother could bring a skid steer. My suggestion would be to see if your brother could set a day or 2 to help you. I'm assuming he has a heavy built trailer and truck to pull it, maybe you could rent it. You should be able to haul good sized loads on that. Load the logs with the skid steer and a grapple bucket or forks if available. You could have your tractor at home to unload. When you get to the last trailer load of wood you could go back, burn the brush, and toss the last load on by hand. You may have to call off work for a day, but you can definitely move a lot of wood in a hurry this way. Maybe your wife or a friend could run your truck/trailer to speed things up. A couple friends/helpers at this point are worth their weight in gold.
Here's how we did it a couple years ago- I stayed at the woods with the skidsteer. Between loads I bucked, staged, limbed/brushed, and burned. My buddy and my wife each hauled, 70 mile round trip every 2 hours for 14 hours straight. My step son unloaded at home with FEL.
My brother works for a landscaping company and the owner would charge him $250 + fuel (in the truck and skid steer) per day to rent it. Then I would feel obligated to pay him something as well… probably $10-$15 / hr to operate it. So I could see that coming out to $400-$500 for an 8 hour day. Probably not a bad price for the work to get done, but a bit out of my budget – I just sold my old 4 wheeler and 4’x7’ trailer to pay our propane bill.

I admire your work ethic and stick-to-it attitude for sure.:bowdown:
I'm only about 25 miles from you. Geneva. Top of the middle finger of the lakes. :msp_tongue:
Kinda' jammed up myself right now timewise with work and all but I'll make a few phone calls to fellow woodburners for ya'. If you'd be willing to swap wood for work I might be able to help you out, and a couple more pairs of experienced hands and eyes could make a big difference in a weekend of work. Shoot me a PM with a phone number and I'll see if I can help.

Mark
This might work as the lot is in Geneva…

All you can do is go in and cut when it is wet, go back and hump it out when dry.

Yeah… that’s what I’m doing now for the most part – but I take small loads of the ash so I can keep my fire going and that pesky propane bill down.
The homeowner will just have to be more flexible, it just has to be made clear, he wants you to speed it up, so you went in hock for a tractor (which is way cool!!), but now cant use the tractor??? Almost time to walk away from that job, but I also understand you need to recoup enough to pay for your new gear, so you cant. Or you can use the tractor but not right up to the yard and lawn? If that is the case, like the others suggest, leave the tractor there, walk in, go cut and drag, yard it up as close as possible before the no rut zone begins, then go for it when dry and get the logs home then.

Correct… I can use the tractor – just have to stay at the back half of the property.

I think the job outmatched your equipment and available time. Scavenging free wood is one thing, land clearing for someone else is an entirely different animal. The only winner in this scheme is the landowner who has avoided having to pay someone to do the work you have provided for free. There is a reason why loggers didn't want the job and your return on investment has shown why. You have learned an expensive lesson but I do admire your work ethic.

I agree on that for sure…

A 45 min drive each way, with less than a cord. No way is that worth it. Charge him or leave.

another thought is to try and get some free help in exchange for some firewood. i'm sure there is always somebody lookin for wood they dont have buy in your neck of the woods. plus nathon918's post hits the nail on the head.

I had that thought running through my head too! If I was closer and the offer was still up for free wood, you can bet I'd be over there cutting away! "Free" is always a good motivator. Maybe time to organize a GTG in NY?

I was able to drive down the tracks last night… backed the car the 1/8th mile or so down the bed.
url]

IMAG0974.jpg

Looking down from the tracks:
IMAG0978.jpg

IMAG0979.jpg

IMAG0984.jpg

Incline to RR bed:
IMAG1004.jpg

Closer shots near ground level:
IMAG1006.jpg

IMAG1024.jpg

IMAG1024.jpg

IMAG1025.jpg

A smidge of water as well:
IMAG1042.jpg

IMAG1057.jpg

These ruts are at least a foot deep… not trying to take the 8N through that right now:
IMAG1058.jpg

It looks like I could drive the 8N backwards up to the trailer on the RR bed… or maybe use the tractor to move the trailer to and from the bed – because I don’t think that the truck would do well going back up with a loaded trailer. It might… if the bed was also loaded and I had it in 4WD. The angles might be too great to even get the trailer up / down… won’t know until I try I guess.
My old Mennonite neighbors have a Westendorf loader with bucket / forks that they are going to sell that was on their Case compact tractor (they bought a skid steer). I wonder if they would take firewood as payment... Probably not, but crazier things happen.

So now you have two possible exit routes for the logs, with the RR being closest to the landing and accessible when the front trail is too soggy to traverse. Options are good. Might there be a track bed access from the other direction so one could make a circuit rather than having to back 1/8 mile?

attachment.php

All you can do is go in and cut when it is wet, go back and hump it out when dry. ......

....... cut it all down! start in the back and drop them the opposite of the direction they will be pulled, from your pics i would say drop them toward the train tracks.
then after its all dropped go in and clear out an area(landing) at least 2 tree lengths long. then start pulling logs to that landing (start closest to the landing and work your way back) then limb the logs on the landing then pull them ahead out of the brush and pile them up. this accomplishes 2 things, 1 it gets all of the brush in 1 location so when your done the job just chip it or in your case light it up. and 2 all of your logs are accessible to buck and load into the truck/trailer.

Use these wet times to your advantage. Do as nathon918 suggests, pulling the logs to the preliminary landing to limb, then to the staging landing for eventual loading, in combination with zogger's advice. Burn waste before the dry season ban begins and load out when able.

In the meantime, keep eyes and ears open for someone with a self loading log truck and once found (perhaps someone here at AS?), walk the property together to discuss access, log lengths and trade of wood for services. If you can put this together, you'll not believe how much time and labor will be saved by removing large quantities of wood at one shot. Once the logs are at your property you can buck at your convenience without the minimum hour and a half round trip robbing you of productive hours...

Keep us informed...

In this photo you can see that there is a crossing over the tracks… I was looking a bit last night trying to determine if I could do a K turn over this portion of the tracks. Truck alone would be no problem – with trailer???

IMAG0974.jpg

In this photo you can see that there is a crossing over the tracks… I was looking a bit last night trying to determine if I could do a K turn over this portion of the tracks. Truck alone would be no problem – with trailer???

IMAG0974.jpg

Why not?

Your single axle trailer should make the moves in one shot, with practice...

Truck_Trailer_on_lot.jpg

Most likely can do it... just don't want to say it will before I actually do it.

We expect VIDEO of the first try... LOL

By all means haul a load home after each day of cutting, WHILE you seek out the larger capacity log hauler...

IMAG1057.jpg
These ruts are at least a foot deep… not trying to take the 8N through that right now:
IMAG1058.jpg

To assist in getting logs to landings without having to tractor through Loch Ness during the wet times, consider buying or making/adapting a log nose cone type device such as shown in the Norwood forum thread:

Logging03.jpg

I think they're made by NovaJack or Rigging Specialties and may have also seen them selling at Bailey's..

On the property back home we most times had only a Wheelhorse tractor and trailer with which to bring in the wood off the property. Bucked wood in the trailer took forever. Hauling logs to the bucking area was often beyond the Wheelhorse capability because the butts would dig in. I cut a hole a foot or so from the leading edge of one of our Snow Wing sleds, passed a rope (later a cable) through the hole, wrapped some old innnertube to the rope where it passed through the sled to prevent abrasion, and bygolly, it worked a charm.

Snow Wing

il_570xN.387380085_e6qj.jpg

I would suggest buying some weights for the front of that 8n. When pulling lots of weight the front end likes to come off the ground with those. Or as previously stated find a loader for it. It will help with weight on the front and increase productivity.

Latest posts

Back