First Time Clearing - Could use Some Advice / Direction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The picture with the hub jammed against a tree looks far too familiar :hmm3grin2orange:

In the 3rd picture you can see where it got a little tight and the lugs ripped off the bark of a ~6" diameter tree... looks like that one will be coming down as well.:msp_rolleyes:

I can back into brush piles and lift them up to move them, but I can't go forward - everything slides right off. I think I'm going to have to make something like this:

[video=youtube;vlzebWyN_iA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlzebWyN_iA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I figure it would be hand operated (lever to operate from seat???). It would also be nice to help secure the load.

I wish it was that easy. I was actually emailing back and forth with the local JD dealer over the weekend about a 2320. It really is out of my budget. I'm already paying $200/mo with JD... Another $300 wouldn't be a good idea.
what about trading in the X534 towards a 2320 or a 2520. my neighbor has a 2520 that he mows his lawn with.. that way you get a much more useful and capable machine out of the deal.. just an idea

what about trading in the X534 towards a 2320 or a 2520. my neighbor has a 2520 that he mows his lawn with.. that way you get a much more useful and capable machine out of the deal.. just an idea

The salesman at the Deere dealer suggested that... but as soon as I brought it up to my wife it was shot down. Shoot... I was thinking that I could trade the 8N, FEL, and the X534 towards a 2320. I do really like the old 8N though. Maybe I'll test the waters with the salesman a bit more and try to get an idea of what I would be looking at.

Looks like you're keeping it moving Dave.:msp_thumbup:
Wish I could get back out there to help again, that was a pretty good morning all around. Alas, construction season is upon us and it's darn short as it is.
Keep up the good work, and stay safe.
Mark

Looks like you're keeping it moving Dave.:msp_thumbup:
Wish I could get back out there to help again, that was a pretty good morning all around. Alas, construction season is upon us and it's darn short as it is.
Keep up the good work, and stay safe.
Mark

What I had on that trip was the larger Ash that was hanging over the water that you were working on. Still got at least half the tree out there to get out.

The salesman at the Deere dealer suggested that... but as soon as I brought it up to my wife it was shot down. Shoot... I was thinking that I could trade the 8N, FEL, and the X534 towards a 2320. I do really like the old 8N though. Maybe I'll test the waters with the salesman a bit more and try to get an idea of what I would be looking at.

Those N series fords look to be lasting like 2 to 300 years or something, until we have anti gravity drive (that us peoons can get...). You see them things still in use and hanging in there all over.

Got out there for about 5 hours this past Saturday. Did a lot of clean up (with much more to go). I'm guessing I was able to get a little under a 1/3rd cord on the truck for the day (was resting on the stops).

Got the morning started buy getting a couple fires going... and kept feeding them throughout the morning.

05-04-13%25281%2529.jpg

Bringing my 3rd load out and I get the 8N stuck (carry all bottomed out again - think I need to add a second set of pins lower to increase lift height and tilt). Had to tow it out with the truck.

05-04-13%25282%2529.jpg

These guys are going to hang out here until it's not so wet.

05-04-13%25284%2529.jpg

Almost loaded up for the day.

05-04-13%25283%2529.jpg

All done for the day.

05-04-13%25285%2529.jpg

On the way home I stopped at the Deere dealer and checked out / drove a 3032E w/305 loader. I sure do like it. Got them quoting me the 3032E with 305 FEL (w/materials bucket), AV20H grapple, R1's, and the 2 rear SCV's (one for grapple and one for hydraulic top link???). We will see...

Got out there for about 5 hours this past Saturday. Did a lot of clean up (with much more to go). I'm guessing I was able to get a little under a 1/3rd cord on the truck for the day (was resting on the stops).

Got the morning started buy getting a couple fires going... and kept feeding them throughout the morning.

05-04-13%25281%2529.jpg

Bringing my 3rd load out and I get the 8N stuck (carry all bottomed out again - think I need to add a second set of pins lower to increase lift height and tilt). Had to tow it out with the truck.

05-04-13%25282%2529.jpg

These guys are going to hang out here until it's not so wet.

05-04-13%25284%2529.jpg

Almost loaded up for the day.

05-04-13%25283%2529.jpg

All done for the day.

05-04-13%25285%2529.jpg

On the way home I stopped at the Deere dealer and checked out / drove a 3032E w/305 loader. I sure do like it. Got them quoting me the 3032E with 305 FEL (w/materials bucket), AV20H grapple, R1's, and the 2 rear SCV's (one for grapple and one for hydraulic top link???). We will see...

hope you got around 30g's for that...

hope you got around 30g's for that...

Got the quote in this morning... $19,420.21 before tax, trade, and down payment.

I currently have $1,950 worth of trades, $300 from selling my old log splitter, and whatever I would get from selling the TA-111. I would be keeping the X534 for mowing. Salesman isn't sure about putting the grapple on ($2,051.35)... Thinks it might be too heavy to be useful. Says it uses up about half of the loader lift capacity. From looking online, it looks like the grapple weighs about 381 lbs and the 305 loader lift to full height @ 500 mm is about 845 lbs. If going on those numbers... that's about 461 lbs of capacity (depending on load placement).

is it new or used?

id forget that new tractor, and look for an 80's JD 950 or 1050 4x4 with a loader,
they were made by yanmar, for JD
even being about 30 years old already, they will still outlast the new tractors out there today, with normal maintenance
theres a reason why the old equipment is still around like your 8N it was built to last, not like the throw away junk they make today...
incase you cant tell, im not a fan of most new things:laugh:

is it new or used?

id forget that new tractor, and look for an 80's JD 950 or 1050 4x4 with a loader,
they were made by yanmar, for JD
even being about 30 years old already, they will still outlast the new tractors out there today, with normal maintenance
theres a reason why the old equipment is still around like your 8N it was built to last, not like the throw away junk they make today...
incase you cant tell, im not a fan of most new things:laugh:

That was for a new tractor. I had looked for a while before getting the 8N for an older 4x4 tractor, but I thought the price was high for most of them. That's what was pushing me towards buying a new one instead.

Well... Looks like I'm going to be getting the 3032E with 305/Materials bucket, AV20H grapple, and the rear hydraulic kit. Signed for it last night. It won't be in until mid July though because I wanted R1's on it and apparently it's a pain to try and get tires to swap for a tractor with R4's on the lot (they don't stock wheels / tires I guess). I'll be keeping the X534 and the 8N (for now... may sell to pay off the loan on the car). The TA-111 is pending sale this Saturday morning for $1,250.

Just seems like they should be able to get tires in... Doesn't it?

I have a 4310 which is similar. Sitting next to it is my 8N that I have owned for 33 years. The 4310 can do so much more especially with the loader and 4WD. You will love the JD. The R1 tires will have considerably more bite but at a price. When crossing a lawn they will mark/print/dent the turf much more if the ground is damp. It is a toss up. I have R4 tires, sometimes I like them, sometimes I'm spinning and wanting R1s. Keep the rpms up and the diesel has a lot more power, so now I am always replacing shear pins on my brush hog. That's OK, the 8N will sit until I can sell it.

I finally got the 3032E out to the lot this past weekend. It sure has grown in since the last time I was there in May. The grapple has been great. I have been able to move so much more material with it. The loader doesn't quite have the power (or my technique is bad) to pull out some of the smaller trees, but overall it does well. If I sink the teeth of the grapple into the ground (about 8 inches) it can't lift it out - I have to back up and raise it a bit to keep moving along the ground during raking.

Here are some pictures...

08-17-13%25281%2529.jpg

08-17-13%25282%2529.jpg

Here I pushed back some of the growth to make some room...

08-17-13%25283%2529.jpg

I'm going to have to get some weight on the back blade to help with counterweight. The 12' (three 4' sections) of cherry (?) in the pictures was about as much as I'd want to carry as it sits rights now.

Nice buggy man!!! You be a wood grabbing foo' now!

...give ya 50 bucks for that old raggedy ferd...I mean, can't leave that parked around your house...what *would* the neighbors say???

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Nice buggy man!!! You be a wood grabbing foo' now!

...give ya 50 bucks for that old raggedy ferd...I mean, can't leave that parked around your house...what *would* the neighbors say???

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Thanks... I sold the 8N for $2000 in July to pay my car off to make it easier on myself. I sure wish I could have kept it... It's a fantastic tractor.

Nice looking rig Dave.:rock:
I had fun working with you earlier this year.
OK, I mostly bucked, and watched while you worked the drag line (did you buy some rope with that tractor?), but we got some wood out of that swamp! A good day for the memories book. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Mark

I'm going to have to get some weight on the back blade to help with counterweight. The 12' (three 4' sections) of cherry (?) in the pictures was about as much as I'd want to carry as it sits rights now.[/QUOTE]

still working that lot??? man o man.....

Latest posts

Back