First time millimg on homemade carriage and rails

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure is some pretty lumber. It is hard to get the aromatic cedar here, we have white cedar. I buy red from the Amish but I can only get cants, no live edges.
Mark

Red cedar is plentiful around these parts, seems like I cant take two steps into the woods in any direction without bumping into one. This is the reason that im planning on building my solar kiln and storage shed out of it , not to mention it is very resistant to rot. Id say ninety percent of the fence posts in Kentucky or atleast my part of Ky. are made from cedar and the other 10 percent being locust. Im not familiar with the cedar that you have mentioned I would love to see some pics... if you have any.

dustytools said:
Red cedar is plentiful around these parts, seems like I cant take two steps into the woods in any direction without bumping into one. This is the reason that im planning on building my solar kiln and storage shed out of it , not to mention it is very resistant to rot. Id say ninety percent of the fence posts in Kentucky or atleast my part of Ky. are made from cedar and the other 10 percent being locust. Im not familiar with the cedar that you have mentioned I would love to see some pics... if you have any.

View attachment 36641

Here is some white cedar with a clear coat. It is a lot lighter and very knotty. It has a distinct oder, but not like the red. White cedar is very rot resistant.Most of the fence posts around here are of cedar also. Our cedar isn't as plentiful as yours.

attachment.php

Hi Mark....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Is the top made of half rounds or is that an edging. Nice looking piece by the way. I have a passion for wood turning. Ill try to get some pics of some child sized rocking chairs that ive been making posted on here soon. Im still unsure about how softwood such as cedar woulh hold up to the stresses that a rocking chair recieves.

dustytools said:
Is the top made of half rounds or is that an edging. Nice looking piece by the way. I have a passion for wood turning. Ill try to get some pics of some child sized rocking chairs that ive been making posted on here soon. Im still unsure about how softwood such as cedar woulh hold up to the stresses that a rocking chair recieves.
Thank you. Yes, half logs with flat sides and jointed with splines.
I make a ton of furniture(most all rustic) and I can't imagine how hard it would be to make a rocker that did not turn or walk. I have not run a lathe sense high school, it was fun then,maby again someday.
Mark

Back