First time saw shopper; please help confirm what I've found...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought my first house and I'm taking inventory of the tools that I need to take care of the yard. I do not have many trees as this was probably corn field that a farmer sold off for someone to build on, however, there are large trees along the back property line with a couple 6-10" diameter limbs down. I'm also a deer hunter and help 2 buddies maintain shooting lanes on their properties (saplings-12"+ trees) and will probably be "that guy" who has a saw who can come over and help clear downed limbs from friends'/neighbors yards.

This is what I've read on this site so far:

Stihl - solid saws, MS250 has a finicky idle
Jonsered - clones of Husqvarna saws but Jonsered is unheard of around here; service and support could be an issue (unless all Husky dealers will work on them)
Poulan Pro - seems to be a love/hate relationship on arboristsite with not much middle ground. A review in Popular Mechanics didn't care much for them either (see below).
Husky - solid saw, 2 yr. warranty, lifetime ignition warranty

Chain Saw Comparison

So for my needs, I think I'm leaning toward a Husky 345 or 350, or a Stihl MS250..........with a little more bias toward the Huskies. Does this seem reasonable to those of you with more experience? All of these saws are probably more than I need and more money than I want to spend, but they seem to be solid saws and I won't be wishing I had more power anytime in the future.

If there are lesser/cheaper saws that I should consider that will still satisfy my needs, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!

saws

The Husky models you mentioned are ok for what you said you are going to use them for... If you can afford it you might consider a XP model... They are better power-weight ratios and a little nicer to run if your planning on using it for more then a fews cuts each time out in the woods. for light use the saws you listed will probably make you happy.

Husky 350 would be excellent, MS250 would be excellent. When I head for the deer woods for cleanup I carry my 025 (ms250). Mine has no idle issues - don't idle it much anyway.

Chaser

Hard to beat the husky 350, good saw for the money, but a little more and you can step ut to the 353, a lot beeter saw, will last longer and a little more power. Don't really know much about the 250, seems to be built like the 290-390 lineup, can't very well recomend it if you will be using it for more than ocasional use.
The other big thing that we try to stress is dealer support. It makes no diff. what brand you buy if the dealer isn't any good. Shop around and try to find a dealer you like, then handle the saws, that will tell you more than we can.
Andy

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Huskies so won't weigh in on them. However, my brother-in-law has a Stihl 250 he uses for exactly the chores you mention...bought 7 acres in E. Texas and is building a retirement cottage, clearing various trees and helping neighbors with fallen limbs, etc. He bought it back around May, has used it all summer and really, really likes it. [He had a Mac previously.]

That article with the saws made me laugh.

"Stihl's saw has the best engine-access cover." All that got them into was the airfilter, not the cylinder. lol

The 350 is a good saw, but if you can spring for $100 more then get the Dolmar 5100s!

Both 45cc saws mentioned would do the job nicely. They have, pretty much, the same weight and power/weight ratio. Either will handle 12" stems nicely. With proper care, either should cut well over 100 full cords of wood.

Or, you could pay a little more and get something more powerful, or pay a little more than that and get a "pro" saw, or a little more than that....

I own a 025 or MS250 and love that little saw. I know it is only classified as a "homeowner" saw but man that thing cuts. Best $25 I ever spent. I have never had any idling issues with mine. I cut a lot of ash, locust, some oak, and a lot of hedge, very hard wood. The 025 has never failed me and cuts through it like a breeze.:chainsaw:

Welcome, It sounds to me like you could use something in the range of the MS 260 from Stihl.
3.2hp
50.2cc
10.6 lbs
and a saw that will probably outlast you.

the 250 and the 350 are excellent choices and the same money, if you took care of those saws the would last 15-20 for what you are doing and even heavier cutting than that.

For MS260 dollars he could get a 359 which is a fine saw (even though it's not a 361:D ).

If he's leaning to Husky the 'what if' will always plague him if he goes Stihl. 350 or 359. I'd pony up for the 359. (Got my 361 before my 025 and it was the right decision...)

Hey Mow, noticed you got a HT131... the 36cc 4mix is an animal isn't it :hmm3grin2orange:

Chaser

Just Mow said:
Welcome, It sounds to me like you could use something in the range of the MS 260 from Stihl.
3.2hp
50.2cc
10.6 lbs
and a saw that will probably outlast you.

zuren said:
Jonsered - clones of Husqvarna saws but Jonsered is unheard of around here; service and support could be an issue (unless all Husky dealers will work on them)

Where are you in MI? There are several Jonsered dealers here in SE Michigan. Call the people at Tilton Equipment (1-877-693-7729)...they are the distributor for Jonsered and they can direct you to a local dealer. Far as I know Jred has pretty good coverage here in MI.

wood_newbie said:
Where are you in MI? There are several Jonsered dealers here in SE Michigan. Call the people at Tilton Equipment (1-877-693-7729)...they are the distributor for Jonsered and they can direct you to a local dealer. Far as I know Jred has pretty good coverage here in MI.

I'm located in Manchester (SW of Ann Arbor). Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. I always see Stihl and Husky, hardly ever see Jonsered and have never heard of Dolmar until I joined this site.

My father had a Jonsered 70E that he loved; good saw with a lot of torque. I had it running for him again this summer but it died a 2nd time (probably the ignition unit, again). He immediately switched to his Husky and noted that it liked to kick back compared to the 70E. What would cause this? Is it the way the Husky is set up (chain), or in general did the older saws use more torque and lower chain speeds to cut, so a less likelihood for kickback?

Also, is a Jonsered clone of a Husky really a better saw (indicated by the higher price)? I think the Husky 350 and the Jonsered 2150 are basically the same saw with the Jonny being slightly more expensive ($30-100). What accounts for this, just Jonsered marketing and pricing?

Thanks for the feedback so far!

I've always said that jonsered was the husky testing ground for improvement. I really believe that whats going on there. The kicking back is the faster RPM's (chain speed) and the more aggressive chains that are being made. Just stay away from the tip of the bar and be weirey of under cutting. The husky is a good product and the stihl is a good. As well as most of the other brands mentioned, SIMPILY put if your a ford man buy a ford and if your a chevy man buy a chevy. Because if your a ford man and your new chevy breaks your first words will be " I knew that this junk would be a mistake!!!!":rock: :rock: :rock: can i get an amen!!!!

wagonwheeler said:
For MS260 dollars he could get a 359 which is a fine saw (even though it's not a 361:D ).

If he's leaning to Husky the 'what if' will always plague him if he goes Stihl. 350 or 359. I'd pony up for the 359. (Got my 361 before my 025 and it was the right decision...)

Hey Mow, noticed you got a HT131... the 36cc 4mix is an animal isn't it :hmm3grin2orange:

Chaser
It's a beast. Blows my 101 away.

AND HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! Another one gets sucked in!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

A very wise man once asked me. What is the best saw? I shrugged being no expert and having really only used myMs290. He answerd . "It's a saw that you can get parts for and fixed when you need it to be."

FOR YOUR MONEY. Husqvarna 353.

Good saw. Low bucks. Go to Bailey's website.

350, ms250, 455 Rancher are not near as well built.

Fred

There is no idle problem with the MS250. It's a solid and reliable saw.

As for local purchase verses mail order, you have to decide for yourself if you need face-to-face dealer support or not. AS is filled with DIY types (I'm one of them!), but for most purchasers a screwdriver has too many moving parts.

Latest posts

Back