first time you started using a chainsaw what was it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carym2a

carym2a

ArboristSite Guru
I was about 12 and we were getting firewood my new job was to start learning how to buck what dad had felled, 175 P.M. Canadien, the saw is mine now and she can still hold her own 34 years later it's still fun to work, thanks dad:)

A100HVA

A100HVA

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Mc001.jpg

KiwiBro

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Coupla years ago.

After waking up on the floor after the shock of reading the estimate from thieving bastard loggers expecting nearly $30k and the wood for the 7 or so Ha of pines we wanted gone from the lifestyle block we had just bought. Was on the internet buying all the fury the budget and my inexperience could muster -a wildthingamij. No chaps, no boots, no eye protection, no back-up saws or chains, no bloody clue what the heck I was doing. It sure showed. By the end of the first day half the trees I'd massacred were by mistake, having dropped misdirected, large woody objects on 'em. It took two years of weekend warrior shenanigans to drop, skid, block, split and burn the slash from those 700 or so trees. I really should have billed the neighbours for the free entertainment.

I don't know which is more surprising: that I'm still alive to tell the tale, or that the Poulan lasted almost 400 trees of abuse before finally giving up on me.

sawfun9

sawfun9

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I was 12 I worked for a guy that had me cut wood with a Electric chainsaw then at 14 I bought a Craftsman/Poulan micro. Man that thing made my hands hurt with no AV, but I didn't know what AV was until I got a new 028 super when I was 23. It was like a Cadillac compared to the Poulan. I still have the 028 super.

Denis Gionet

Denis Gionet

ArboristSite Operative
First saw was an electric, a Remington maybe ? Crappy Tire was selling them. After that I used my brothers' Husky 61 when helping him cut up firewood. A few years later on a linecutting job it was a Jonsered 361 (which I bought after the job), and a 2036 Turbo. Haven't had a need for one until recently. Grabbed up a Jonsereds 36 from a yard sale (no auto-oiler or brake, still fighting with it), and now a new 435 Husky. Plenty big for what I'm gonna do, cutting firewood for camping.

rigandig

rigandig

ArboristSite Lurker
First saw I remember using was a Bow Saw. That was during the "come on and go with me" days with my Dad before I started school. He'd let me fiddle with limbing while he was dropping the next tree with an axe. Then one of my uncles bought a Mac. Not sure what size, but was in the late 50's if memory serves me (Sometimes it don't). Dad used to say , it was to loud, to heavy, and to much of a pain in tha rear to deal with. He'd rather use his axe and cross cut saw. Still have the cross cut saw and the hand Bow Saw here somewhere, and the old oo Frick Mill. Power Saws, there have been many, but the first one I remember buying myself was a Monkey Wards special. Came with a 16" bar , and broke me of ever wanting to use any hand saw again. It also ended the "play days" my brothers and I used to have. Weekends at Granpa's was time for us to "get up" his wood. Before the Power Saws, it was the axe and cross cut saw to drop the trees for his firewood. The 3 of us would work on the tree until we had it 'just right", and then take turns of 2 of us climbing it and riding it to the ground. With the advent of the power saws, somebody figured it took to much time out of the process to wait for the two to get up the tree. Don't ya just hate progress sometimes.

Agoraphobia

Agoraphobia

ArboristSite Member
I got a late start in life and was relegated to axes for years and years (I still love to take out the occasional tree falling with an axe). First chain saw use was when first married. There were all sorts of big cottonwoods down on a hillside I wanted to clean up, but they were too big to move as they were. Father in law sent up a couple Stihls and I had at it hour after hour and cleared the hill with zero advice or anything (glad he sent mix along or I probably would have straight gassed'em). Then I got me my first saw (a Husq 346xp) and figured things out. That was a decade ago.

bryanr2

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Stihl 028WB

Growing up, every Christmas break we left TN and went to Texas for the two weeks to stay with my Grandma and Papa. As I got into my teenage years, I would always go work at my Uncles farm some of the time down there. It was my first exposure to machinery and tools (unimaginable tools). Dec of 96, I was fourteen years old. My uncle tied a bull rope around this poplar and hooked it to his compact John Deere 870 4wd (as the tree was hanging over the covered riding arena). He showed me how to cut the wedge and how to pick the cut, and I got to drop a beautiful poplar as he pulled with the tractor. Then got to cut it up as he lifted it with the bucket. It is one of my favorite remembrances of my teenage years and a experience I will keep with me for the rest of my life. Sixteen years later, I still have the wedge I cut out of that tree. Few years later, I bought a 041 and then a 044 10mm and Stihl 019t (stilhl a teen), since coming to this site, I have discovered the other brands, and am certainly enjoying forming my own opinions on the different models and makes from hands on experience. Every saw I have has been Masterminded except the 288xp that I bought from him. Just put a new bar and chain on it, and it is cleaned up ready for the trip to his shop, when I go to pick up the Makita 7901 and Stihl fs250r.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
I started running saws around 9 years of age working with my dad, owned my own saw by the time I reached 13 years old, they were Pioneer 600`s and weighed around 30 lbs with bar and chain, Carried them over the shoulder for a couple of miles to and from the house to the woodlot most weekends, also carried a gallon of mixed gas, quart of oil, handaxe, tool kit and my lunch.

NORMZILLA44

NORMZILLA44

Addicted to ArboristSite
when you first started using a chain what make and modle was it?

i'll start it off

My first chainsaw i ever ran by my self for first time. was a Poulan wood shark and it was about 17 years ago.

i think i was about 15 years old when i ran it and every since i been using a chainsaw to cut wood with to heat my house.

So what i would everyone to tell us on here when they first used a chainsaw please. i know some of us on here are some Vintage pepole but don't let that stop you for posting. so come on and tell us when you first started using chainsaws.
Year was early 80's somewhere, I started out getting the feel of a old electric chainsaw. Then I fell a christmas tree with a homelite gas chainsaw. I was so excited, can't remember the model. Then I was able too cut stuff trees and brush at our camping club. Running Mac's and homelites.

boca joe

boca joe

ArboristSite Lurker
Don't post much, but read a lot.

First saw: Two-man crosscut with my brother and me providing the horsepower back in the 50's.

First chainsaw: Don't remember the model #, but it had to the 1st Mac bowblade ever made. That thing was heavier than I was.

First tractor: John Deere 50. Thank the Lord and goodbye mules. LOL.

First love: My one and only wife for 37 years. I ran across this site a few years ago while I was grieving her loss and didn't much care whether I lived or
died. Now that I'm able to, I'd like to thank you good folks for helping me thru a pretty rough time.

My reason for living again: My first and only grandson, little Jake.

Latest love: A 21 year-old hussy I've taken up with. She's a little 254xp you guys helped me bring back to life. She's the second prettiest thing I've ever held in my hands, and I'll post you some pictures when I figure out how.

Thanks, guys.

Latest posts