first use of my ms390 w/24inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightfaller

Reaction score
hello all - newbie here .. i've done alot of reading on these posts about the ms series saws and now that i've tried mine for myself i can offer anyone thinking of an ms390 ..this..

i just ran it through a 30'' diameter fir butt end with the 24 inch bar and had no problem what so ever - it fed great with full skip chain . i tried pushing on it to see when the saw would bog -of course i could get it to - but having said that you should never push a saw anyway - it should self feed ( the pros already know this of course ) i just thought id say it because i've read posts from firewood cutters complaining the ms saws would bog when pressuring the saw ..

i'll admit i was a little nervous having read some of the posts after purchasing the saw - i was previously using a 181 se husqvarna with 28" bar and .404 chain .. it was a 1983 model ... and while it was definately torquier on the low end - i am not dissapointed in the new ms390 like i thought i might be - given the hp difference - the ms390 works more than fair for me

ms 390 /24 inch bar / full skip 3/8 :chainsaw:

hello all - newbie here .. i've done alot of reading on these posts about the ms series saws and now that i've tried mine for myself i can offer anyone thinking of an ms390 ..this..

i just ran it through a 30'' diameter fir butt end with the 24 inch bar and had no problem what so ever - it fed great with full skip chain . i tried pushing on it to see when the saw would bog -of course i could get it to - but having said that you should never push a saw anyway - it should self feed ( the pros already know this of course ) i just thought id say it because i've read posts from firewood cutters complaining the ms saws would bog when pressuring the saw ..

i'll admit i was a little nervous having read some of the posts after purchasing the saw - i was previously using a 181 se husqvarna with 28" bar and .404 chain .. it was a 1983 model ... and while it was definately torquier on the low end - i am not dissapointed in the new ms390 like i thought i might be - given the hp difference - the ms390 works more than fair for me

ms 390 /24 inch bar / full skip 3/8 :chainsaw:

I was gonna ask if you were runnin' skip chain or not....Glad you're happy with your saw.

Welcome aboard. Glad to see you're happy with your purchase, since that's what really matters at the end of the day!

So, where are the pics? :D

Fully agree! Congrats and welcome to AS.

If the saw bug bites ya, don't count on having just that one horse in your barn for long.

That 390 aint gonna work long for you. Reason why is now that you are a member here 1 saw aint gonna be enough. You seem to have saw knowledge already, so I bet you have the bug. You gonna need a backup saw, and a backup for that, and..... Welcome, and congrats on your new saw! I have a new 290, and Im happy with it. :yoyo:

Kinda off topic, but I may try a 20 inch in my 034 with skip chain. I like it now with 3/8 full chisel and a 20", people been trying to talk me into trying skip, now is the time since most my wood is cut for next year, I aint so busy.

Get the skip chain!!!
That's all I run on the 034 with a 20"
Next you'll be looking for a wrap bar
and then moving west! ;)

Yup...and wearing corks and an aluminum hardhat. Not to mention suspenders and hickory shirts. Then theres the Baileys and Madsens catalogs in the john, the snoose can in the pocket, the u-shaped dent in your tailgate from backing into a tree, and a first name basis with all the saw shops and dealers in a fifty mile radius. Other than that your life will be fairly normal. Normal except for the late night fantasies about 066s and 395s and chainsaw mills and woodsplitters and muffler mods and....well it just goes on from there. Don't say we didn't try to warn you.;)
Welcome to the site.

yes - full skip comes in a full chisel chain and it will make a big difference guaranteed - thats why i got the skip with the 24 inch bar anyway - the chain is more flexiable for lack of a better term and with less cutters - it will keep the rpm's up - and sharpening is quicker .on the wet coast full skip is the norm because of the longer bars needed. i think on the high end of the hardwoods though it will be marginal - i've never tried it but my thinking is a full comp chain and keeping bar size minimal would get the best results

and to bluebowtie ....... you are correct .. i'm already looking into opening up the muffler a bit to make it breath better ... so if anyone has done this on the ms 390 and or has pics i'd be glad to hear what you did

when i had my husq 181 se done it sounded like a dirt bike - mind you the saw was about 80 cc anyway .

Yup...and wearing corks and an aluminum hardhat. Not to mention suspenders and hickory shirts. Then theres the Baileys and Madsens catalogs in the john, the snoose can in the pocket, the u-shaped dent in your tailgate from backing into a tree, and a first name basis with all the saw shops and dealers in a fifty mile radius. Other than that your life will be fairly normal. Normal except for the late night fantasies about 066s and 395s and chainsaw mills and woodsplitters and muffler mods and....well it just goes on from there. Don't say we didn't try to warn you.;)
Welcome to the site.

And me without the ability to rep you. Freakin' great, and so true.

I just got a 039, after a tear down and inspection, I have it back together. I put a 20" on it with full comp round chisel on a 7T rim. I just have to tune it and put her in some wood...

Welcome to the site.

Thats not very far off describing me right now. I just dont have the relationship with the saw shops I have tried to build. 2 have closed that I liked to frequent.

And me without the ability to rep you. Freakin' great, and so true.

Thanks Tim. I left out the saw pad on the right shoulder, the stagged off pants, the empty beer cans in the back of the pick-up, the twelve pack cooling in the creek, and most importantly...the steely-eyed glare you give somebody when you're headed home in a cloud of dust and they want to drive on whatever part of the haul road you're driving on.

Thats not very far off describing me right now. I just dont have the relationship with the saw shops I have tried to build. 2 have closed that I liked to frequent.

Bowtie...when you walk in and they know you by name you know you've arrived. Or you owe them money. Do people in Kansas really wear corks (caulks, calks, spikes, take your pick) to cut wood? Good on ya..just remember to take them off before you go into the 7-11. Put your Romeos on.

I actually dont know how many arborist here do. I dont. Other than that I resemble that remark. The snoose can, hardhat (they plastic nowadays), My Baileys catalog is in the john, and one in my truck, which has a few dents and scratches from working wood out in the timber. (Yes we have a lot of trees ere in Kansas). And my wife wakes me up pissed off at night hearing me talking in my sleep about doing this and that to my saws.
:hmm3grin2orange:

I actually dont know how many arborist here do. I dont. Other than that I resemble that remark. The snoose can, hardhat (they plastic nowadays), My Baileys catalog is in the john, and one in my truck, which has a few dents and scratches from working wood out in the timber. (Yes we have a lot of trees ere in Kansas). And my wife wakes me up pissed off at night hearing me talking in my sleep about doing this and that to my saws.
:hmm3grin2orange:

Great. We're still hanging on to our tin hats out here...as much as possible anyway. Theres a couple of mills that get pissy about them so we usually keep a plastic hat under the seat for the anally safety concious types that run around with clip boards and serious expressions. They seem to think that we laugh at them behind their backs...don't know where they get that idea. I see somebody has come out with a new line of tin hats but I think my old Mac T will last me 'til I retire.
And now that I've drug this post totally off topic I'll cease with the OFR and let the guy with his new saw have it back. Bob

Latest posts

Back