First wood insert fire in a dozen years...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicksterdemus

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, so what does that have to do w/chainsaws, eh? Well, I used chainsaws to cut the wood.

Due to a family illness we stopped burning wood in the insert after the spring of 99. This year I started cutting again as that chapter of life is behind me.

I have an easy cord n half stacked in the carport and decided to fire it up yesterday. I took a DeWalt cordless circular & reciprocating saw to a long piece of sweet, seasoned old growth short needle pine.

After severing in two I lopped off some small slivers w/Indian Chief hatchet that looks like a mini-fireman's axe w/pick/point on the end.

I love that hatchet & picked it up at a pawn shop years ago in my youth.

I crumble/roll some newspaper, place the kindling and cover w/oak & hickory.

Go to clean the ash bin and when I dump it out side most of the bottom falls on the ground.

I make a couple of calls and no one has these. They all tell me to go to a sheetmetal shop & have them make me one.

I don't have time to wait, there's half sheets of square duct laying around here, that I salvaged from old jobs in the last millennium, and there just happens to be a square laying on the picnic table.

It was left over from cutting, w/.5" hem, squares to mount plastic tool boxes on the back rack of the wheeler and the diamond grid on the little utility trailer.

It's about 22 gauge and my brake is the picnic table. Anwho, in about an hour I had the pattern laid out and cut. I folded the corners, from the short side, inside the long side and then folded the 1/2" hem over that so that I didn't have to screw/pop-rivet or spot weld anything.

I thought about fabbing a handle as well, but haven't gotten a round toit.

When I find sumpthin' laying around that's worthy of drilling a couple of 3/8" holes in then I'll have my handle.

The ash bin is longer, wider, taller & thicker than the previous and should serve me well. (It's already turned, from the heat, to a nice brown patina.)

After I slid the bin in I fired it up.

In my haste I neglected to inspect the two dampers and one wasn't closing properly. I had one hot fire rollin' and of course I tried to clear the obstruction and knocked the dampers shut while the door was open.

Nuttin' quite like the over-powering smell of fresh, oxygen starved smoke.

No biggie coz most every time I try to load the rascal full I hit the release mechanism for the damper and smoke rolls out of the open door.

They really should've had metal plate bolted underneath to prevent such, but I seem to recall loading w/fight hand while holding the damper lever open w/left, in order to prevent this calamity from reoccurring.

It's only in the low 40's, but it's raining & it's nice to walk around inside w/shorts & T-shirt instead of long-johns & long sleeves.

The ventilator/squirrel cage motor doesn't appear to work, even when wired directly to power, so I'm looking for a replacement and possibly a new low temp off, high temp on limit switch.

I could've used the circulation when one of the dampers was refusing to close.

Coulda been worse, I coulda loaded the insert w/pine knot and had a melt-down...

Last edited:
Quite possibly, yet I've grown fond of this forum.

I did sneak over there and tell my tale of the hunt for an insert blower motor...

Back