"fish" in a bottle...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
recently I got a few calls from "friends" who only seem to call when a saw or something else is broken. I usually give them the over the phone diagnosis...dump the fuel, check the hoses...call me in the morning. two guys said they bought some "mechanic in a bottle" and were going to try it. I said ok call me and lemme know. well damned if it didn't get the saws running and one neighbor said his Suzuki dirtbike would not accelerate above 1500 rpms. Puts the "mechanic" in and a few hours later it runs fine.

What's in this stuff and does Fish have to worry ?

A

There are a number of different products called "mechanic in a can", "ring job in a bottle", and similar names that claim to restore compression and slow oil consumption. All I've seen are for 4 cycle, to be added to the engine oil. The way this stuff is supposed to work is by sticking to cylinder walls and filling in scratches. If the guy put it in his 2 cycle fuel he might receive a temporary gain in power but could also plug up his carb.

My brain saw that as "rim job in a bottle". I know. I have issues.

Sorry for derail. Back on topic.

Wish I would have seen some of that miracle mix before I tore down this Jonsered. Does it unweld rings too? :hmm3grin2orange:

"Mechanic in a can ? " Is the like " Engine re-build in a can " ? Haha :hmm3grin2orange:

I know the stuff you are talking about, mechanic in a bottle, you see it on the shelves with the other snakeoil jazz. I just looked it up, but no dice on ingedients it is "secret", here is a partial copy from their msds

"This product contains the following toxic chemicals subject to the reporting requirements of section 313 of the Emergency Planning and Community Right To Know Act Of 1986 and Of 40 CFR 372:
AS# Chemical Name Percent by Weight
Mechanic In A Bottle
Bio Catalyst Mix
................................................................................................Trade Secret"

Hilarious..we, the community, have the right to know..nothing! hahahahah

Who knows, might work some. Your friends said it worked for them so far....

this is as close as the sheet will reveal..shhh...secret..

TS: Aldehydes. Acids. Ketones

I'm not even sure what that could mean

Let me put into terms that you may understand. (this will send some on my side of the pond to look up the lurid details)......A rim job is something that Kim Philby would know all about. There I said it.... And in a way that children would not be offended. And I was not talking about his second career as a double agent for the USSR.

Let me put into terms that you may understand. (this will send some on my side of the pond to look up the lurid details)......A rim job is something that Kim Philby would know all about. There I said it.... And in a way that children would not be offended. And I was not talking about his second career as a double agent for the USSR.

I know who Kim Philby was, he was one of the subjects in a book called "SpyCatcher" - all about the development of the British Counter-Intelligence Services - and the reason we generally do pretty extensive background investigations now. Many of my former coworkers worked with a guy named James Hall, who did similar damage to our operations in Berlin that Philby did to MI-6 and GCHQ. Hall was in jail by the time I got there, but there were still some hides that were chapped over what he had done.

So the "mechanic in a bottle" doubles as "spy in a bottle" ...on the weekends ???

Man that stuff is good :)

Mechanic In A Bottle is a fuel additive. What it does is cleans out deposits in fuel systems and also will soften diaphragms. Didn't believe it at first, but one of my reps said it really does work. Shop's been using it for several months now and it actually does work in cases where equipment has been sitting up. Not every case, but many. We also add it to the tanks of equipment when we finish working on them just in case the customer doesn't pick it up for a while after we fix it.

I'm a skeptic about these new lotions and potions, but some of them I have tested have proven to work, though usually at not quite the level of awesomeness they claim. Mechanic in a Bottle does actually work for a great number of things, but certainly isn't the great panacea to all running issues. On rough running things where you suspect some fuel gum is affecting the carb, it really can rescue you from a rebuild or strip down clean. But when things go too far, you just have to man up and get in there. I will tell you that it really does do a good job of softening rigid diaphragms: I have fixed the diaphragm oil pumps on a few Stihl 009, 010 and 011 saws with it. They had gotten hard and would not pump, and are NLA from Stihl. So I took them out and soaked them in MIB for 24-48 hours and voila- they softened up and pump again.

I wonder if Marvel Mystery Oil is similar. I use it in all my 4'cycle and 2 cycle fuel and have had excellent results.

I wonder if Marvel Mystery Oil is similar. I use it in all my 4'cycle and 2 cycle fuel and have had excellent results.
It is 'common knowledge' that Marvel Mystery Oil is nothing more than simple automatic transmission fluid..!!

That's why you only add a little to the gas - certainly NOT a whole can or bottle..!! - it really doesn't do anything.

It's 'Great Properties' are just an ole country myth...it does no damage in small quantities - so use on if you want.
:cheers:
J2F

Latest posts

Back