Fiskars-Another Believer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got the X27 last Friday.

That thing blows up wet birch and aspen like nobody's business. Really clean splits too in the wet stuff. Significantly less effort than a regular maul.

I will be buying a smaller Fiskars axe as well for regular chopping. Some relatives/friends will also be getting these as gifts from me shortly.

After using this I pondered selling all of my regular axes and one operation maul as they will never be used again.

Just got one myself. Works really well, but could still see having a maul for the larger rounds.

Still, much improvement over the old splitting axe I had. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Still can't believe how clean the splits are in wet wood. Just split a bunch of very green birch the other week with a hydraulic and you had to run the ram all the way through them to get them to bust. The Fiskars just opens them right up with maybe a little bark hanging on the back side at most.

That does it. I'm getting an x27.

I just bought a Stihl splitting axe (the 4.4lb axe, not the 6 pound maul), and I'm pretty disappointed in its splitting
performance. My 10 year old big-box maul outperformed it easily.

I already beat up the paint on it, so it's not like I can return it. But it sure does look nice and it swings beautifully. I'm hoping it can serve some purpose, maybe as a limbing axe.

I would "not" get rid of your maul.

Here is something I posted on another thread yesterday.

I have an x27 and a 6# maul.

I love the x27, but I feel the heavier maul is better for going through bigger round than 12" diameter.

I split a bunch of green 24" maple rounds today. The maul worked great as the x27 had some difficulty.

Just my opinion on what I've noticed here.

Great tool. Well worth the $50.

I would "not" get rid of your maul.

Here is something I posted on another thread yesterday.

I have an x27 and a 6# maul.

I love the x27, but I feel the heavier maul is better for going through bigger round than 12" diameter.

I split a bunch of green 24" maple rounds today. The maul worked great as the x27 had some difficulty.

Just my opinion on what I've noticed here.

Great tool. Well worth the $50.

Right! It's not meant to replace existing tools in your set, especially on hard to split rounds... but it is a miracle tool. I've been busting open crotches that I couldn't wedge apart with my Fiskars axe. These things are amazing. I've had mine for half a year now (should've bought it a long time ago). It took too long to give in to the hype, but it was oh so worth it.

Right! It's not meant to replace existing tools in your set, especially on hard to split rounds...

If the Fiskars ax can't do it, I'm not wasting anymore time or needless wear and tear on my body ####ing with the round -- it either gets noodled, donated to someone with a hydraulic splitter, or rolled into the swamp.

Haven't used my maul in years, haven't broken out the sledges and wedges either.

If the Fiskars ax can't do it, I'm not wasting anymore time or needless wear and tear on my body ####ing with the round -- it either gets noodled, donated to someone with a hydraulic splitter, or rolled into the swamp.

Haven't used my maul in years, haven't broken out the sledges and wedges either.

I use a rotation. I'll run all the rounds by the Fiskars and let's say 75% split within a few whacks. The ones that don't, I hold for the 6 pound maul. The few that don't bust with a few hits with the maul, I break open with a wedge and sledge hammer (Though, I have been bypassing the maul for quite some time... something about swinging that versus even the sledge). Then again, I'm quite a bit younger than a lot of the folks on here that are splitting rounds. I like the challenge and exercise.

I have found, though, that when I am bucking a tree I've dropped, I'll cut the trunk into rounds and then when i get a crotch, I'll cut it in half longways and work up each of the branches, cutting them into rounds. This makes it easier to turn the logs to prevent hitting dirt and crotches are much easier to spit once more after they've already been halved.

If I'm cutting on my own land I just leave bad crotch pieces out in the woods. Cut the last piece right above it, leave the fork, and cut the next piece right below it. Only loose 8" or so of wood. Not worth the hassle especially splitting by hand.

If I'm cutting on my own land I just leave bad crotch pieces out in the woods. Cut the last piece right above it, leave the fork, and cut the next piece right below it. Only loose 8" or so of wood. Not worth the hassle especially splitting by hand.

Well, I can't stand to waste anything. They make fun of me for cutting "twigs" that are an inch in diameter to firewood length and stacking it. If I'm that anal, imagine how well leaving a crotch in the woods would work for me! :msp_mellow:

Heck, use it as a backlog!

I use a rotation. I'll run all the rounds by the Fiskars and let's say 75% split within a few whacks. The ones that don't, I hold for the 6 pound maul. The few that don't bust with a few hits with the maul, I break open with a wedge and sledge hammer (Though, I have been bypassing the maul for quite some time... something about swinging that versus even the sledge). Then again, I'm quite a bit younger than a lot of the folks on here that are splitting rounds. I like the challenge and exercise.

<snip>

I use the same progression but add in rejects from the wedge/sledge go on to the Hydraulic splitter pile. Rejects from there get noodled.

It is nice having a stack of rounds waiting for splitting. Go out any time I'm in the mood and put in some time making little ones out of big ones. I have a stack about 20 cord of locust rounts waiting. That should keep my exercise regime going for aobut another year. Does wonders for when I'm pissed off for some reason also.

Harry K

Harry K

Well, I can't stand to waste anything. They make fun of me for cutting "twigs" that are an inch in diameter to firewood length and stacking it. If I'm that anal, imagine how well leaving a crotch in the woods would work for me! :msp_mellow:

Heck, use it as a backlog!

Yep. I'm too "tight" to leave good wood. The smallest I will cut is about 4" though.

Harry K

Well, got some extended time behind it yesterday, and yup, it's the berries.

The only thing that stopped it was a nasty oak crotch, the maul did get a side of it started and I finished it with the x-27.

Worked perfectly in the 12-16" wood we were in.

I swung about the same times (maybe less) as he did overall, but with less effort I believe.

We ended up splitting a good pickup load between us.

He did mention him having to get one maybe, but not sure if he'd put that much into it...

Will say that it is a little more work to put the splits back up on the short splitting block I cut. He just split on the ground, not having to worry about hitting the ground.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I like my Fiskars X27 and I have found that if I can't split it with the Fiskars I don't even bother with the maul. I just grab the 7300 and noodle it, if the X27 won't split it the maul is only going to do it with wedges. Congrats and enjoy!

so my new fiskars 27 arrived UPS a couple days ago. Soon as i picked up the box i thought Houston, we have a problem! It was so light i couldnt believe it was for splitting wood. I wasnt very impressed with the plastic composite handle either, i don't see that standing up to much of a beating. Anyways, I take it outside and commence to whacking on some 14 inch box elder rounds and i was further deflated. Stuff my heavier axe would of went thru in one or two whacks took 4 or 5 with fiskars. Then i tried some maple and that went a little bit better but it doesnt compare with my other axe. The heads just way to light and the wedge shape is no where near big enough. Good thing its so light and doesnt wear you out cause you're going to be swinging it twice as much to split rounds.
Had i been able to look at fiskars in a store and feel one i would have left it on the store shelf. I'll probably end up having to keep it now that its all scuffed up. I suppose it'd be ok for splitting pine, aspen and maybe maple or light brush chopping. i don't see it ever being a main part of my arsenal tho. Honestly i don't understand all the hype. Wish i could have seen it before purchasing, could of saved $50.

Wish i could have seen it before purchasing, could of saved $50.

There are techniques that work better with different tools. But there are also different preferences and opinions.

If you bought it from Sears you could take it back. Maybe the place you bought it from also allows returns due to dissatisfaction?

Otherwise, you could put it on CraigsList, or the AS Trading Post, and a whole bunch of people would be willing to buy a scuffed up Fiskars at a discount.

Philbert

I couldn't agree more. I have an X25 and love it. :thumbup:

Really? I find that I have to swing my X25 so hard that my feet come off the ground like Yosemite Sam. I've been wanting an X27 for a while, but might skip it if it's only 8% better.

Latest posts

Back