Fiskars: Check out new series of axes...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a range instructer at ProTech firearms acadmy. ...I carry a Kimber 1911

Hmmm... based upon those 2 statements and your username... Do I know you?

Do you have a bird-dog named after your carry gun?

If so, I hunted with you on the morning of the 4th day of the hunt this year. That should tell you who I am.

ETA, I was the younger one in the group ...

I bought a Lehr propane powered leaf blower from Ace Hardware earlier this year, small 4 stroke engine with a wet sump crankcase, runs on the 1 lb. propane cylinder used for camping. Ran good for 2 hours, started having trouble. Customer service sent me a new carburetor, had trouble putting it on, poor quality hardware and didn't fit well. They also make a weed trimmer and lawn mower.

I was told Fiskars bought the company and plans to expand into other products and improve the quality. Should see something early 2011.

I'm an NRA certified High Master in Service Rifle. I've won the Indian State Service Rifle Championship. I am a range instructer at ProTech firearms acadmy. I shoot thousands of rounds every year. I carry a Kimber 1911 compact loaded with Black Hills 230gr +P, Remington 185gr +P Goldensabers, or Mag Safe Defenders. My farthest kill on a white tail was 185 yards using an Encore hand gun. The shot was taken free hand.

I've heard the "control" argument before. To be sure, you have to be able to hit your target. Having said that, I've trained women who weighted 90 lbs soaking wet how to wield a S&W 629 with ease. Not being able to handle a common handgun caliber weapon because of it's recoil is like saying someone shouldn't use a chainsaw because it's too powerful. I would never recomend that a begineer start out with a 44 mag or with a MS660, BUT a responsible gun owner, or chainsaw owner should develop the proper technique and master the fundamentals related to their equipment. These fundamentals allow the operator to safely and effectivly operate any piece of equipement regardless of size. It's true for firearms and chainsaws alike.

A skilled operator can effectively split most wood with any old axe (while some are admittedly better than others). A skilled operator can cut his firewood with just about any size chainsaw, but he/she normally pickes up the one that's appropriately sized for the wood that he/she will be cutting. A skilled operator can effectively operate everything from a 22 rimfire to a 44 mag.

A 22 rimfire can kill a person, but for obvious reasons it is not the handgun of choise forprotection. There are a number of folks who like the 380 and 38 and feel that it is adequate for what they intend to use it for. Power to them. So long as they place the bullets where they need to go, then they stand a good chance. The research that I've done would indicate that speed kills, and a 380/38 just doesn't have enough of it to make my list of tools worth owning. That's all I'm saying.

By the way, you are correct. My 357 mag snub nose does have a lot of recoil, BUT nobody said that I always have to shoot 357 mag ammo out of it. It shoots 38 plinking loads just fine. Makes a great training tool that way.

And for what it's worty, you are right. The 38 special is a classic.
I would definetly like to shoot with you sometime. I have no certificates of classification, however, I've never been beaten in NC both law enforcement and correction. I did however have the distinguished master pin the DOC gives out. It is the highest award for them. I learned from my dad whom taught combat pistol and besides Mark Duncan and Randy Clark I consider the best I've ever seen. But......main point is as you said it accuracy.
I certainly hope we can hit a gtg someday. Would be a lot of fun.

So before I go forking out for one of the Fiskars splitting axes, is there anything the largest of their splitting axes won't do that a 6lb traditional maul will? I currently have a plain 6lb maul bought from a local farm supply place. I wouldn't rate it as anything special.

sharpener

I bought the sharpener with mine and I use it to keep the edge factory sharp each time I use my ax. It works very well and I would definately buy again. My only complaint on my 28'' ax is the handle takes some getting used to. Its short it makes you use a chopping block. I cant wait to try out there new 36 inch handle model. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I bought the sharpener with mine and I use it to keep the edge factory sharp each time I use my ax. It works very well and I would definately buy again. My only complaint on my 27'' ax is the handle takes some getting used to. Its short it makes you use a chopping block. I cant wait to try out there new 36 inch handle model. Hope this helps.

Thank you. It does help. Im gonna get one of there sharpeners.

For my use, the old one has felt "perfect" - but I guess I will take a look at the new one at some point......

Not to ride anyones coattail, but I just got a brand new "old one". Will ask my saw dealer if he has one right now (for you guys!), but if I have to wait, I will wait a bit longer than janyary...

Well now I will checking Ace on my way out of town for the new model , I stop by tempted to buy a second 28'' but I wont hesitate if they get the new ones. I am hangin with Whalers and Gold Miners in Nome the only wood here washes up on the beach. It gets light at noon there are Giant Musk Oxe in town and giant mining dredges everywhere. Happy Holidays looks like about twenty inches of white stuff dropped in last night.

Im a little confused. To me, the only difference between the one I have and the new ones is that it says x25. I ran my product number and it came back as an x25. If Im wrong thats cool. I just dont know what the difference is........

Well now I will checking Ace on my way out of town for the new model , I stop by tempted to buy a second 28'' but I wont hesitate if they get the new ones. I am hangin with Whalers and Gold Miners in Nome the only wood here washes up on the beach. It gets light at noon there are Giant Musk Oxe in town and giant mining dredges everywhere. Happy Holidays looks like about twenty inches of white stuff dropped in last night.

That looks like a picture in The Bird House bar? Not that I have ever been there.

No bras' or panties the Bird House burned down 15 years ago. And not many bowhead whalers around Cook Inlet. I was savoring a boneless chicken sandwich my brother told me about and after a 12 hr day of fishing on the peninsula I sit at the bar and order the boneless chicken sandwich only to get a hard boiled egg and two slices of bread. Did you try the pickles? I am on Front street in Nome where the Iditarod finishes. Iput the pic on because I thought folks would get a kick out of the names on the bills.

I think my "old" super splitter (bought a few months ago) is great. It's essentially the same as the x25. I'm about 5' 11'' and haven't found the short handle to be a hinderance; you have to learn to use this tool as a splitting ax, not a maul. Once you convince yourself of the different technique, it's great!

As for what it can and can't do, don't expect miracles. The advantage of the ax comes in it's speed. It is lighter and the design allows for a quick strike, and won't tire you as quickly as a hulking maul. However, this is still a human powered device. You won't be splitting tree crotches with it. I've found that the ax works best on straight-grained dry wood. I've been burning a good bit of pine in my OWB this year, and the occasional piece that made it past the splitter meets its destiny via the ax. It really excels in that situation.

At any rate, I'll end up owning the new longer model just for the increased advantage.

Back