Fiskars Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hands are sensitive to shock and I just use Kinco insulated gloves, deerskin mostly, in all weather and the insulation is padding enough to never have splitting with my X27 annoy my hands.
Worth a try for 30 bucks or so.

I've been using a "black handled" model of the X27 to split some hard dry oak. Seems like I'm getting a good bit of shock in my hands and wrists.
Would adding spray foam to the hollow handle dampen the vibration? Any wrap I cold use probably wouldn't let my hands slide as they should.
Maybe i should go back to my wood handled maul?
😆 No spray foam won't reduce shock. If you haven't split much wood, then the shock you experience is more likely the death grip on the handle. Upon impact you are the shock absorber. I find that the Fiskars 8lb IsoCore maul is the number one. The weight does the work and it's concave design superior at penetration. If it sets without splintering, then I drive it home with a sledge. I also use a Council Tool GSA 4lb and they just introduced a 5lb splitting axe that's a true Maine wedge profile. These are the best values in splitting tools I highly recommend, if you use them correctly. I split 3-4 cords every year for the wood stove. Technique matters.

😆 No spray foam won't reduce shock. If you haven't split much wood, then the shock you experience is more likely the death grip on the handle. Upon impact you are the shock absorber. I find that the Fiskars 8lb IsoCore maul is the number one. The weight does the work and it's concave design superior at penetration. If it sets without splintering, then I drive it home with a sledge. I also use a Council Tool GSA 4lb and they just introduced a 5lb splitting axe that's a true Maine wedge profile. These are the best values in splitting tools I highly recommend, if you use them correctly. I split 3-4 cords every year for the wood stove. Technique matters.
I have the Fiskars 8 lb Iso core, and it gets stuck a lot. My old 15 lb Monster Maul works much better and never gets stuck. But the X27 works almost as well.

I use gel lined bicycle gloves. I have a carpel tunnel issue and splitting with appropriate gloves causes me no trouble.
Not that I am any authority but Friscars is the best I have ever used. I refuse to use a machine because manually making firewood is good for the health.

I have the Fiskars 8 lb Iso core, and it gets stuck a lot. My old 15 lb Monster Maul works much better and never gets stuck. But the X27 works almost as well.
Mine sticks and I use a sledgehammer on the hammer head of the maul to start a crack and follow the crack with two wedges as needed. It's a system that works, but it's all hard work. It didn't kill me, so it may serve to make me stronger. I'm 70 and done physical work most of my life and I'm retired 8 years and still working, while many of my peers are dead, diseased and dying from being sedentary and being obese from foul dietary habits over decades. Too many Americans live as if some pill will solve the problem of them not doing what it truly takes to live as healthy and long as one can.

Not exactly a Maul but I used sledge hammers for years in the metal trades and preferred a wood handle. Use one of thre plastic handled sledges for a few days and ended up with tennis elbow. We use sledge in 10-12 lb range. Never went back. Always use wood now. Not sure if they are all the same but not taking the chance anymore.

Not exactly a Maul but I used sledge hammers for years in the metal trades and preferred a wood handle. Use one of thre plastic handled sledges for a few days and ended up with tennis elbow. We use sledge in 10-12 lb range. Never went back. Always use wood now. Not sure if they are all the same but not taking the chance anymore.
Used my 30 year old 12lb until the haft cracked through a few weeks back. I have another hickory haft for it until I get on it. I've got tendonitis even from hickory, then I learned how to shave and scrape them to where they flex. That and practicing good technique alleviated the problem. I won't use solid fiberglass handles; they transmit all the shock to the user. The Fiskars IsoCore 8lb maul is a hollow polycarbonate. The head is mounted with one bolt through the head an the haft through the eye is surrounded with rubber. They say it dampens half of the shock and from using it I believe it's so. I can use it for hours on end and no tendonitis. Lifetime guarantee if you can break the handle you get a new one. Cost $65.

Latest posts

Back