Fiskars super split wow!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They should call it the "ArboristSite-Length Handle", due to all the promo it has received on this website and all the begging for the additional length: if they are really making one, part of it has to be due to our pleading!

Philbert

Of course Fiskars are listening to the largest wood splitter market in the world....We gotta understand that it is more to it than to extend the handle....this is a piece of ENGINEERED precision tool....so we gotta let'em take the time they need for this.....

We should get a cut? AKKAMAAN just needs to share his Fiskars commissions with us. :hmm3grin2orange:

It started with a bungee cord and a tiny rope......and now everybody think I'm on commission....LOL....I think it is all members in this awesome powerful forum community that can take credit for that Fiskars are listening to us....and we all pay the RIGHT price for this axe....that price is a result of supply and demand.....There are Brittish and Canadian guys that pay way more than our sticker price....My hat off for them...:clap:

FLASH FLASH

Please, all in your exuberant enthusiasm for this tool that the maker may have a promotion only for you (YOU)---IF you reply before midnight....and qualify.

Check previous posts referring to this.

Thank you.

i dont like that at all. why should someone who worked harder to get a better job than me, and make more money than me, have to pay a larger fine for breaking the same law?

No, they're paying the same fine. The value of a certain number of days of their labor.

Many of our laws were written before annual inflation became part of our economic reality.

When in the 1920s our legislatures would set the punishment for some misdemeanor as "up to $200 or 30 days," that $200 was an average wage for a month in the 1920s, or 1890, or 1830. You had a lot fewer professionals, and even among farmers / laborers / mechanics, etc most folks had wages pretty similar. It was a reasonably fair system then, not now.

The Finnish system just updates this old jail-or-money model to maintain the fairness now that there are wider disparities in income and automatically adjusts with inflation so a school teacher, or mechanic, or lawyer all end up with an equal punishment in terms of the amount of labor they sacrifice in order to pay the fine.

No, they're paying the same fine. The value of a certain number of days of their labor.

Many of our laws were written before annual inflation became part of our economic reality.

When in the 1920s our legislatures would set the punishment for some misdemeanor as "up to $200 or 30 days," that $200 was an average wage for a month in the 1920s, or 1890, or 1830. You had a lot fewer professionals, and even among farmers / laborers / mechanics, etc most folks had wages pretty similar. It was a reasonably fair system then, not now.

The Finnish system just updates this old jail-or-money model to maintain the fairness now that there are wider disparities in income and automatically adjusts with inflation so a school teacher, or mechanic, or lawyer all end up with an equal punishment in terms of the amount of labor they sacrifice in order to pay the fine.

I totally agree with you Dalmation90.....this is a way to punish everybody the same, no matter what income they have.....it is the monetary, modern way to "cut a hand or an arm".......If we had this system here, we wouldn't have so many celebrities driving drunk and speeding...for a few hundred buck of so called "punishment"...

I totally agree with you Dalmation90.....this is a way to punish everybody the same, no matter what income they have.....it is the monetary, modern way to "cut a hand or an arm".......If we had this system here, we wouldn't have so many celebrities driving drunk and speeding...for a few hundred buck of so called "punishment"...

I know it's off the original post, but Dalmatian is 100% right on his point. $200 fine to me means alot more to me than someone making twice what I make and so on. There is basically no monetary incentive for people with money to not break the law if the fine equates to a slap on the wrist. I don't think I've ever heard of this Dalmatian. It makes so much sense it makes my head hurt that we aren't doing it this way. I guess it's because the guys making/maintaining the laws would start seeing alot more of their money taken :censored:. Of course this doesn't hold true for crimes like murder and rape, but even having money in those cases tilts the scales. Thank you for enlightening me.

Getting back on topic. How big of a piece of wood are you guys splitting with the Fiskars? How big around, how long and what kind of wood?Thanks, Sam

Pretty much anything that I would split by hand. I know that this sounds a bit evasive, but we all have our own criteria, and it varies with the wood, the circumstances, etc.

For me, it it probably, typically up to 16" in length and 14-16" across. Larger than that, I would normally start with steel wedges, unless I am trying to test myself or prove something. I scrounge, so it may be lots of different types of wood.

I think that the key thing is that it generally makes it easier to split wood that you would normally split by hand, rather than saying that you can split larger wood.

Philbert

How big of a piece of wood are you guys splitting with the Fiskars? How big around, how long and what kind of wood?

24" rounds is the biggest I get here, most is more like 10" -- 18". Pieces are 18" -- 22", my stove can take long pieces so I don't spend much time worrying about firewood length. Wood is mostly red maple, red oak, and ash. Only pieces I don't like is red maple that grew with wet feet (by ponds or swales)...fresh cut they're real wet and I think that cushions the blow, and even when dry or frozen the grow relatively twisted up. Red maple with dry feet the rounds blow apart beautifully no matter what.

Getting back on topic. How big of a piece of wood are you guys splitting with the Fiskars? How big around, how long and what kind of wood?

Thanks, Sam

Depends on what kind of logs you are splitting, I only do Douglas Fir, and the biggest ones I ever tried is about 24", and I easily cracked them wide open....

Thanks for all of your responses. I generally split with a wedge and sledge. I think I will get one. If I have to split a big round with a wedge once then use the Fiskar I would be time ahead.
One last question. How green is the wood you are splitting? I usually don't split when it is fresh cut in the summer or spring. I was just wanting to get and idea for how dry the wood is you are splitting with the Fiskars.

Thanks again,
Sam

not to jump in the conversation but been cuttin all week and anxious to see the fiskars work and the green stuff i have been cuttin comes apart far easier than the seasoned round that i have sittin on the pile!!!

Thanks for all of your responses. I generally split with a wedge and sledge. I think I will get one. If I have to split a big round with a wedge once then use the Fiskar I would be time ahead.
One last question. How green is the wood you are splitting? I usually don't split when it is fresh cut in the summer or spring. I was just wanting to get and idea for how dry the wood is you are splitting with the Fiskars.

Thanks again,
Sam

I crack/split my logs as soon as possible, to shorten seasoning time...

Back