Fix it or trash it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Mclain

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,

New member here with a small question. :)

I have a nine year old Husqvarna Model 272XP having an issue.

It probably has less than fifteen hours on it, it has sat for several years.

She starts right up, but while cutting she konks out.

It sounds like it runs out of gas.

She will come back to life after a couple of pulls and then repeat this scenario.

The only other odd thing is I can get it to idle for about five or so seconds with the choke out when restarting. ( maybe this means something )?

It never did this perviously with the choke out.

Not sure if I should trash her and buy a new saw.

What stinks is I am not a frequent cutter and it will spend a lot of time in the garage like this one has done.

I have to drop several trees soon, so calling someone in to do it would cost as much or more that a saw anyway.

Thanks, any help or advice would be appreciated.

I cant do it, I will bet you have a rotted fuel line. EZ fix.

But if you dont want to mess with it, the $50 offer still stands

Probably carb or fuel line related,,,,

if it was running when you set it up it shouldnt be much more than that,,,

Dont listen to the Hortwanker trying to get it for 50 bucks,,,,:spam:

Ill give ya 100 if the P/C is good!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!!!!:givebeer:

It shouldnt take too much to fix it:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sitting that long, you need the fuel system gone through, rebuilding the carb, checking the fuel line etc....

I will do it cheap if you want to ship it to me...

Yep!!!!

Last edited:
Im not too familiar with Huskys but I would say you have a fuel problem. Like the carb needs cleaned/rebuilt,fuel line,filter or impulse line. Im sure your confused by now but Im sure all of us can help you. And welcome to AS.:)

Sitting that long, you need the fuel system gone through, rebuilding the carb, checking the fuel line etc....

I will do it cheap if you want to ship it to me...

You guys are brutal!

I know nothing about small 2-stroke motors, and really wouldn't know what to look for.

And, I would imagine bringing this model to the dealer would cost me 50% of a new one to fix. ( usually the case )

Maybe I will start taking it apart,,,, hope that something jumps up at me as looking broke :dizzy:

If I end up buying a new saw, I will look into the right way to store for long term this time.

The 272XP is a good saw and definitely worth fixing. I would pick up another if the opportunity presented itself (reasonably priced).

$30 labor, parts at my cost, plus the repair covered here on the forum.

Shipping sans bar/chain would likely be 12$ or so each way.

I would offer to do the labor free, but I am getting a little wary/weary
doing that........

You guys are brutal!

I know nothing about small 2-stroke motors, and really wouldn't know what to look for.

And, I would imagine bringing this model to the dealer would cost me 50% of a new one to fix. ( usually the case )

Maybe I will start taking it apart,,,, hope that something jumps up at me as looking broke :dizzy:

If I end up buying a new saw, I will look into the right way to store for long term this time.

Do you have a digital camera?

This is pretty simple stuff and there are many that can help you through it. That's how I got started and it's a great learning experience.

John

Sir, you have stepped into a bear trap! This saw is one of the most sought after (Husky) has ever maid.If your dealer knows anything about this model he may likely offer you a new or used saw for an even trade. Do NOT SELL this saw for anything less than $300. A complete carb rebuild is not a hard chore. I would get new gas lines, gas filter and carb kit. Do not let anyone sweet talk you out of this saw. Welcome to the site, Ken

Detective John McLain. Do not mess with the Euro terrorists or go up in a tall building, or shoot yourself in the arm just to take out the bad guy behind you.

Also, that saw is worth fixing, thats an awesome saw.

That is a hard deal to beat.....

A thought....you could have fish do the repair and then sell the saw running.

No saw likes to be left un-used for long periods of time so if you are not mechanically inclined it may work out better to rent saws when needed.

I'd let fish do it up as it makes it worth more for re-sale.

You can do a tune up pretty easily and cheap.
If that doesn't work bring it to a shop. It doesn't sound serious. Maybe a bad fuel line.
I had a bad fuel line on my 350 and it did the exact same thing. Wouldn't't stay running unless the choke was out and then not for long.
I just took it to a shop and it cost me 8 dollars.
I'll bet it will be alot cheaper have a shop fix your saw than to buy a new one.

btw there are ways to store your saw if your going to not be using them for awhile, but someone else will have to fill you in. I use mine all the time, so I don't have this problem.

Sir, you have stepped into a bear trap! This saw is one of the most sought after (Husky) has ever maid.If your dealer knows anything about this model he may likely offer you a new or used saw for an even trade. Do NOT SELL this saw for anything less than $300. A complete carb rebuild is not a hard chore. I would get new gas lines, gas filter and carb kit. Do not let anyone sweet talk you out of this saw. Welcome to the site, Ken

+1 Great saw... if you decide to sell it, don't do it thoughtlessly. You wouldn't sell your work truck if you lost a starter, would you?

Back