Fixin to get ugly here......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would almost say I am jealous of the snow when it was 78F today. I not gonna say it because the fools around here would go completly crazy. I would fair okay here at home if no one would bother me. Plenty of beer and deer.

Now they are warning us of 60-90mph winds form the east.... Hmmm it never blows like that from the east... almost always from the south... should be fun...

I think it will go to the north of us, but just in case, I met with some friends down at the Bottom and we had an Eat Drink and be merry for on Sunday we might could die dinner and beers session. On the east of the house, there are only a couple of Doug firs that could hit. One is gunned towards the car and pickup. Where on the westside are many with deformed tops because they were topped years ago to make them more wind worthy. Which now makes them less. There's always something worse.

Oh, and the trees are weighted down with enough snow that they'll make nice pendulums and rock the roots out nicely. Maybe we could rig up guylines?

Last edited:
What you mean is... I get to work for free at my neighbors.... lend them all my ropes/chain/peavys/log lifters/ grrr... and get their pos saws started and sharpen their rocked chains.:mad:

But they love you, just like the kids at work, who will not get to be with their families over Christmas. Every little favor I do them counts like gold.....

It's been a bit nippy. My 17 year-old hunting buddy got two nice deer, one a big nine-pointer, and they're frozen......we tried to do some processing last night, nothing doing. They will be well aged when we finally get them processed.:chainsaw:

Latest weather forecast sounds realy ugly... In our area (near the Cascade foothills east of Seattle) by Saturday evening, sustained winds of 50-70mph, with gusts to 90+, 4-14 inches of snow.. we will loose power for days. It's 13.7 degress right now and still dropping.

170 foot tall trees and 90mph, ice, snow, no power. Such fun...

Oh.. my old gout injury just blew up, so I might not be able to walk... lolol I have 10 cases of beer (terrible for gout..) and after my fuel run early tomorrow, generator gas for 4 days.

Andy

I'm in the valley east of Monroe, last time the wind blew from that direction with much force it took the roof off the shop, plus a couple trees.

10F and dropping here, with 90mph winds what's the chill factor?

We have 18"+ of snow, I didn't measure it, but when I stepped off the deck it was deeper than my boots were tall and it filled them up around my leg. Now with another 15" or so predicted and the wind, it should be fun.

Stopped in town to get gas and most stations didn't have any, the truck's were stuck or not delivering to this area because of the roads, they did have plenty of beer, less now though.

Latest weather forecast sounds realy ugly... In our area (near the Cascade foothills east of Seattle) by Saturday evening, sustained winds of 50-70mph, with gusts to 90+, 4-14 inches of snow.. we will loose power for days. It's 13.7 degress right now and still dropping.

Geez Lake.........I can only imagine the size of snowdrifts that will create!
Stay safe and keep us posted.

Dan,
How are the main roads up there this morning? I just looked on the IDOT site and they say all clear! I am down in Southern Illinois and all we got was some freezing rain the first part of the week.
Steve

Dan,
How are the main roads up there this morning? I just looked on the IDOT site and they say all clear! I am down in Southern Illinois and all we got was some freezing rain the first part of the week.
Steve

Highways are clear.
Backroads (blacktops) are still terrible.
Going down to 0 Sat nite.

High of 8 Sunday.

Don't seem so bad after reading Lakesides forecast.

Dan,
Glad to hear it, I work for IDOT down here. Yes it is going to be cold tonight and monday morning. Better bring your brass monkeys in the house.

Steve

Oh.. my old gout injury just blew up, so I might not be able to walk... lolol I have 10 cases of beer (terrible for gout..) and after my fuel run early tomorrow, generator gas for 4 days.

Be sure not to barbecue or run your saw indoors when the power goes off. :)
There's a foot and a half of snow here. Justthe snow weight is making me nervous when I hear that nice craaaack and swoosh sound overhead when one of the coniferous species decides to drop a limb.

You be careful, stay warm, and beered.

Last edited:
yep. sounds like were in for another good one. when it blew like this in 2003 i lost the camper and the front gates to some nice big hemlocks. good luck! hope we dont get nailed too bad!!

8.3F here this morning... and the phone is ringing off the hook - the entire community has lost water (hmmm... want to bet something froze??? ;))

It's weird.... Absolutely beautiful here - Blue sky, snow covered trees, not a breath of wind... It's just like sitting on the beach in Texas with a hurricane a few hours away:greenchainsaw:

That's a good deal to have a generator with plenty of fuel. When I had mine I would just backfeed it through the welder outlet in the garage, run the whole house that way.
Out of wood now in the basement and it's starting to snow again. The trailer is about hals full of wood, and half full of snow.
I went through and checked all my smoke detectors, they all had dead batteries. I don't need need any more surprises, I've already ran the Christmas lights drop cord through the snow blower...anyone need about 2 dozen jumper wires?:rolleyes:
attachment.php

8.3F here this morning... and the phone is ringing off the hook - the entire community has lost water (hmmm... want to bet something froze??? ;))

It's weird.... Absolutely beautiful here - Blue sky, snow covered trees, not a breath of wind... It's just like sitting on the beach in Texas with a hurricane a few hours away:greenchainsaw:

Glad you are safe, Andy. Must have been a heck of a storm. It's remarkable you stihl have power.

Did you put up any tart cherries this year? They are good for gout.....

Phones been ringing off the hook today, no one has used their snowblower in 2 years and for some reason it won't start today.

Oops. I didnt look at the radar, just at the posts. Thought it was already going on last night. Good luck to all out that way. The predicted wind velocities are amazing. I imagine many tall trees will snap.
Are storms like this at all common out your way?

We have a predicted high tomorrow of 8 degrees, with a very rapid temp change. Last Sunday it was 60 degrees F at 8 AM, and at noon it was 22 deg F with a hard north wind, and by Monday morning it was 6 degrees. I do not recall temp shifts like that being too common in decades past.

Back