Flex hone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I want to order a flex hone from baileys for my poulan 5400, the bore is 52.48mm and I am not sure which one to get. Can anyone help me out?

Also I've never used a flex hone, is there anything that I need to know about it like how long to use it or what oil to use or any tricks I need to know. Thanks ahead of time.

Lakeside explained that he used a 320 grit hone, used a good drop of motor oil and used it inside a piece of waterpipe for a good while until it was broken in.
Then just used it sparingly I think he mentioned 10 x up and down on a medium-slow speed and then check the bore.
I wouldn't go too hard on it as it could easily wear through the nikasil coating.
Just enough to give the bore a dull shine.
I don't have a flexhone but use a piece of scotchbrite to lightly hone the bore.

I never thought about the scotchbright pad or any other that would work! Does this give a decent result? Do you use oil when you do this?

Not a good idea to us a ball hone.... use 320 by hand with wd40 or lite oil ..
as said, just break the glaze, with lite hash marks ....
A ball hone reaches into the ports and can cause rounding (timing change) or rare,flaking of the cyl. coating ....
A Stihl dealer said most manufactures recommend no cyl. honing ...
Go lightly .....

Check out http://www.flexhone.com/flexhone for cylinders.htm.

I would use a 320 grit flex hone with a lightweight oil and enough to wet the cylinder walls. Hone, Wash very thoroughly, dry with compressed air, then inspect bore. Hone a few strokes, inspect and re-hone if necessary. Go easy and don't over do it. The old timers used to stick a stick pin through a #2 pencil eraser perpendicular to the pencil and feel the bore for roughness. No pressure on the pin just the weight of the pencil as it is gently held between your thumb and index finger, slowly pull it through a section of the bore . I would do this before and after each hone operation. You only want it a little rougher to the feel than it is.

I never thought about the scotchbright pad or any other that would work! Does this give a decent result? Do you use oil when you do this?

I use a spray of WD40 when I use the scotchbrite pad, The pad I use is brown in colour.
I find it works well for me, takes me about 15 mins to do the job.
I think from memory the red pad is the one in the US.

Latest posts

Back