Flooding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That bites. I'm sorry to hear.

Seeing the flooding on television, it reminds me of the flash floods that tore through Madison County, VA back in '95. I remember it started on the weekend the county fair was slated to open.

No one could get in or out of the county. Damn near every bridge in Madison was washed out or closed to traffic... a few houses were pushed down the mountain by rolling boulders and fallen trees.

Many of the roads through the mountains were gone, large sections of blacktop lifted and washed downhill. The National Guard sent troops and choppers to evacuate folks who were trapped up there. They camped out at the county high school for days.

The farmers lost everything - crops, cattle, fences. Worst of all, the topsoil was washed away. What were once fertile fields became large rock piles.

I know it's bad out your way. Stay safe, please. :)

Some of the guys in one of my volunteer storm clean-up groups* are heading out there to assist in clean up efforts. If anyone is interested in volunteering, send me a PM and I will put you in touch.

*The advantage of volunteering with an established group is that they usually have the necessary equipment and the ability to get through to the affected areas faster than spontaneous, unaffiliated volunteers.

Philbert

Sorry for all your bad luck.I hope your fathers health improves.Try to stay positive, and I hope better days are ahead for you,at least you and your family are safe. Be careful with the cleanup , and try and look at the bright side, now you can have fun cutting more wood. Your family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ron

Latest posts

Back